MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 20-10-03, 21:53
former Resident Historian

Default Copyright

Mr Ask has queried whether a CD Rom could be produced out of all the photos I have been sent. The answer is probably no, because we want DVDs!! There are so many, and I just happen to have a DVD burner now.

This raises a query I had forgotten about...copyright. Is anyone that has sent me photos going to object to a sale on of copies of their photos? I would personally work it so that a percentage of sales receipts went to the senders of the photos. No-one has raised the issue of copyright before so I had better clear this up.
Old 21-10-03, 04:30
Art Johnson

Default copyright

I have just recently become involved in possible copyright complications. Fortunately I'm only slightly involved in supplying material for a project and the people I'm dealing with are fully aware of copyright restrictions. From what I have been told copyright restrictions last for 28 years plus a possible further 28 year extention. In this particular situation we are dealing with music copyright but I would imagine that photos are the same. I tried last year to get a photo from Archives Canada but was stymied by a family copyright on the photo. There is a form you should have signed by anyone who supplied with an image, to protect yourself from being sued.

http://dileas.mapleleafup.org/
Old 01-11-03, 01:06

From what I have been told the copyrights on photo's was until a few years back 50 years.
Was .... as it has been changed to 70 years.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the massive amounts off pictures that originate from ww2 and that treated to become public domain ...

Danny Bosma
The Netherlands
Old 01-11-03, 09:56
RIP

Default Australian Copyright

Hi All

If this works the link below delves into Australian copyright law re. photographs.
Each country has such a web site and that's the best place to look.

http://www.copyright.org.au/PDF/InfoSheets/G011.pdf

Bob
Old 01-11-03, 16:47
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Photos

David

The pics I sent to you on CD don't belong to me and I sent them for your personal research . It's probably best if they are not published for monetary gain .

Mike Kelly in Australia
Old 01-11-03, 19:40
former Resident Historian

Default Copyright

Thanks Mike, but I am only interested in proceeding in cases where the copyright is established and agreement to print can be agreed, or where copyright is out of time. Where the issues cannot be resolved then I have no intention of using any and that includes anything anyone sent me. The rule used to be 50 years, and so if a photo was taken during the war then unless it has been placed on a website for instance then on the face of it copyright ran out years ago.

The complication arises when the revised 75 year rule applies, as the 50 years was extended to 75 under European law. However the photos from the wartime albums were taken I think whilst the 50-year rule applied. Maps by the way are always 50 years under European law. I would leave it to publishers to sort out any issues, although I have my connections in the Big 2 corporations.

I am more interested in confirming permission from those who have supplied me MODERN photos to use, especially from Scandinavia.