MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 16-01-04, 22:54

Default 2nd Cdn LAA Regt (Its history and guns)

The 2nd (Yorkton) Light Anti-Aircraft Battery was attached to the Canadian 1st Division and located at Eastbourne, Sussex from Aug 1942 until at least Feb 1943.

Would this unit have been equipped with Bofors AA guns? If so, how many guns would there have been?

Does anyone know if there’s an official history of the unit?

Mike
Old 04-03-04, 01:54

Wink 2 LAA Regiment

Mike:

My father was a member of the 2nd LAA Regiment throughout most of the war. They did indeed use Bofors. I have outlined my father's wartime experiences on my website.

http://murrayarmstrong.com/william_john.htm

As far as I know, there is no regimental history. Units of the regiment were assigned as support units to other regiments or units throughout the Scilian and Italian campaigns, making it difficult to compile a comprehensive history.

Murray
Old 04-03-04, 23:34

Default Thank you ...

Thanks very much for responding.

I read through the story of your father’s war service with great interest and wonder whether he said or wrote anything about his time in England. Do you know if he was stationed in Eastbourne in Sussex?

Renewed thanks and best wishes,

Mike
Old 05-03-04, 02:14

Mike:

He didn't speak much about his time in England although he said he enjoyed it. I don't know about Eastbourne and the locations in the UK are not mentioned in his service record. I have been in touch with some people in Yorkton Sask. who used to hold a regimental reunion from time to time. I will see if I can find the contact information for them. It may take a few days, but I will get back to you.

Regards
Murray
Old 05-03-04, 10:01

Default Eastbourne

OK and thanks again.

I hope to hear more from you in due course.

Regards

Mike
Old 05-03-04, 20:24

Mike:

I have not yet been able to locate my Yorkton contact information. It was some years ago, so I'm not sure I will be able to locate it. My father joined the 2nd LAA on March 3, 1943, so he may have been at Eastbourne. The next movement in his record is embarkation for Sicily in June.

I did however dig up the following Dept of Defense report which has some mention of Eastbourne and the 2nd LAA. Check out page 21 and the tables at the end. The document discusses the formation and role of Canadian units in the defense of the UK.

http://www.dnd.ca/hr/dhh/Downloads/cmhq/cmhq106.pdf

Hope this helps.

Murray
Old 06-03-04, 18:37

Default New Book

There is a new book out now called “A Richer Dust: Family, Memory and the Second World War” written by Robert Calder.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...549953-7700035

There is a review of it in today’s Montreal Gazette (6 March). The book is about the author’s uncle Kenneth Calder, who served as an officer in the 2nd LAA Regt. during WWII. I have not seen the book yet but from the review it appears to be interesting. Note that the book dose not have a happy outcome. Kenneth Calder came through the war in one piece, only to commit suicide soon after his return to Canada. Not all of war’s casualties occur on the battlefield.
Old 07-03-04, 19:18

Thanks John

I'll be sure to get a copy. It must be fairly new, Chapters doesn't list it on their web site yet, looks like I'll have to try the store.

Murray
Old 07-03-04, 22:50

Default 2nd Cdn LAA Regt

Thank you to everyone who has come forward with information.

The file at :

www.dnd.ca/hr/dhh/Downloads/cmhq/cmhq106.pdf

is especially helpful, as Eastbourne is mentioned several times.

It’s interesting to compare Canadian claims with what I know happened on the ground. German records have also been researched, and I recommend the recent book: Luftwaffe Fighter Bombers over Britain - the Tip & Run Campaign 1942-43 by Chris Goss with Peter Cornwell and Bernd Rauchbach. It’s published by Crécy (www.crecy.co.uk) -. ISBN 0 947554 97 1.

If anyone catches sight of "A Richer Dust: Family, Memory and the Second World War" by Robert Calder, which has just come out in Canada, I’d be grateful if they could scan the index for any references to 2 Cdn LAA Regt’s presence in Eastbourne.

Mike
Old 14-03-04, 19:30

I purchased Robert Calder's book. It is a very moving story and certainly gave me a much better appreciation of what my father went through. There are a few scattered references to Eastbourne, but no details.

I sent Dr. Calder an e-mail with a link to this forum. He replied that there is a history of the 2LAA. I will try to get it from the National Archives.

Murrray
Old 26-04-04, 19:51

Cool

Dr. Calder very kindly sent me his copy of the 2nd LAA Regiment's history. I have scanned the pages relating to Eastbourne as JPGs and have posted them to the web at the following URL.

http://www.murrayarmstrong.com/Dad/2nd.htm

I hope this is of some assistance. If you have any problem reading them please let me know.

Murray
Old 26-04-04, 22:34

Default 2nd LAA

Murray

VMT indeed for getting the comprehensive information about the LAA batteries in and around Eastbourne. It is all most helpful and I would be grateful if you could kindly convey my grateful thanks to Dr Calder.

Mike