MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 21-11-03, 01:54
48th Highlander

Default Military drivers license

Six months before the invasion of Sicily, while I was with "B" Company stationed in Auchinleck Captain Cameron called me into his office and told me the Pioneer platoon was being reformed into one tradesman section and two assault sections. They were going to receive a new Nortons motorcycle. and he asked me if I would be interested in being a dispatch rider for the platoon. Having a great dislike for route marching, I jumped at the opportunity. I know this greatly pleased "B" Company because they felt that I was not Guards Regiment material. Well! To make a long story short, a few weeks before the invasion of Sicily headquarters Co. motor pool noticed I had never been in for maintenance inspection so when I rolled in with the bike after having had 3 accidents it was a rolling wreck. I had always thought maintenance was just filling the gas tank. They promptly informed me that my riding days were over and handed me a mine detector and said you are now going to learn the art of removing booby traps. Now the amazing thing about this change, which needless to say deeply hurt my feelings. They did not ask me for the return of my license. My question is, is my license still valid and did it cover all vehicles including bren carriers and Sherman tanks? Also were there any changes made later in the use of this license?
Old 21-11-03, 02:54
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Default Drivers Licence

Is this the " A-2038" ?

(We had stories on these in Convoy Magazine issues #10 and #12)

Based on a the British MV licence, the Cdn A-2038 was very very similar. Apparently some minor revision in 1941, basically cosmetic.

I have heard of some changes much much later to Cdn MV licences, ie I believe in the 80's, whereby some people lost the distinct indication on their licences as to what vehicles they were qualified for. (however, Im not clear on the details..so dont quote me...or flame me!)

It'd be interesting if you got pulled over today, to present the cop with your licence indicating you're qualified for Sherman tanks... (heck if nothing else, he/she may find it just interesting enough to let you off that speeding ticket- or of course- if they have no sense of humour - stick it to you!

cheers
Marc
convoymagazine@yahoo.XXX (anti webspider X's- replace them with .com)
Old 21-11-03, 03:06
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Smile Here's Norm's license...

My pleasure, Norm!
Attached Thumbnails
normcromielicense.jpg  
Old 21-11-03, 03:33
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Expiry Date....

Norm..
I don't see any expiry date on it ...but in the '60's my military drivers licence was a D.N.D.404...
And it listed specific vehicles that I was allowed to drive...Yours seems to indicate that any vehicle was fair game .....
I wonder if that also included taxiing aircraft..as long as you didn't get them off the run way..I remember a few loops in the Sergeants Mess on the odd Friday night.....
Old 21-11-03, 07:27
M38A1 CDN3

Default Military licenses

In the late 50s/early 60s,our Military Driving Licenses were called "Standing Orders". so called because the qualification for them was posted in ...Standing Orders...as opposed to Part 1 and Part 2 orders. The paper copy was a green colour and had a statement to the effect..."authorized for all wheeled vehicles and light tracked vehicles". Wow, that gave a lot of latititude if you were turned loose in a vehicle compound! (Had to have your authorized work ticket, though).

Later on, in the mid to late 60s, the first pattern DND 404 came out. This was the one that listed your specific qualification by vehicle type. Being young, foolish, arrogant (stupid?), we published our own credentials for our 404s. I still have a laminated one which certifies that I was qualified to operate, among other official stuff, battleships and pogo sticks. There was no expiry date then, and the area of operation was cited as "Canadian Army Area". At that time, should you have been pulled over by the local constabulary for a moving violation in a military vehicle, you were only required to produce your DND 404, not your civilian drivers license.
Old 21-11-03, 15:32
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Norm's license

Norm;

It looks like your license was only valid from 1 January 1943 to 31 December 1943 - see the last line on it - Available from..... 1 Jan 43 to 31 Dec 43

Cheers
Old 28-11-03, 09:17

Default A2038

Hi all,

As you can see from the A2038 form (in the small lettering at the bottom) this was printed in 6/41. I have identical driver licenses printed in:
12/40, 12/41 and 2/42.

However I also have a similar numbered Army Form (A2038) but in a portrait format, printed in 4/44.
The text has slightly been changed and now contains teh following vehicle specs.
All groups, group I, group II, group III, or group IV.
Valid only:
when on government duty, from .... 194. until .... 194.

Incidently I have come across a 1970 dated A2038 with identical front. On the backside it had a square where the unit rubber stamp and officer issuing credentials had to come.

British WW II ones normally have four markings on the backside:
rubber stamp of unit, date stamp in this oval unit marking, officer's rubber stamp and finally the signature of this officer.
Old 17-05-04, 15:45
The Original CMP Site!

Default Aus WW2 drivers licence

Hi all, I thought some of you may enjoy a scan of my dad's military drivers licence.
Rod
Attached Thumbnails
drivers licence.jpg