MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 19-02-06, 21:05
BIG MIKE

Default Steering a UC

What is it when you turn the Steering wheel to the Right your accually turning leftwith the warping system? and Visa Versa. Please Explain in detail its Puzzling me , only drove my carrier without the warping system last year used Brakes to turn. Cheers BIG MIKE
Old 20-02-06, 01:37
T-16, C15A

Default Try This ..

Mike,

It sounds like you may have the steering wheel upside down. Also, make sure that you are going forward when you turn the wheel to the left, otherwise a right turn may result. ( Jordan had a similar problem, but we got him straightened around eventually).

It sounds like you also need to get a manual from Alex Blair.

Stewart
Old 20-02-06, 01:50
BIG MIKE

Thanks Stew But the steering wheel is on Correctly and I bought 3 manuals from Alex already , Hey I like your little bit in that Vid you were in, the Wify thing was funny, Not talking about steering wheel was talking about the steering of the carrier itself, Cheers

BIG MIKE
Old 20-02-06, 04:29

Mike

I will try my best at the steering system.

When you turn the wheel it will initialy move the two rods under the seats. These push and pull on the steering cam. You turn the wheel left it pushes the left rod and pulls the right rod. This them makes the cam turn counter clockwise. The cam pushed up against rollers on the tube. So with the cam turing counter clockwise the tube is pushed to the right. In turn this pushes the right side bogie out and the left side bogie in. If you try it while the carrier is sitting the hull itself will move over about 3-5 inches.

Keeping all this in mind picture the track in contact with the ground as a straight line. Try putting two pieces of sting in straight lines parale to each other. If you use your fingure and push the middle of each piece over about 1/2 inch you end up with two curved pieces of string. The top half of the sting is now being angled towards the left in a very gradual radius. That is the same thing thats happening with you track.

Now if you keep turing the wheel you will begin to turn using your brakes.

This is why carrier steering is two stage. First if for gradual turns and second is for tighter turns.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 20-02-06, 04:33
BIG MIKE

Thanks Jordan,All I wanted to know is If you Turn Right you go Right and if you turn left you go left with the warping system , I like to know who the moron was who told me if you turn left you go right LOL

BIG MIKE
Old 20-02-06, 04:42

Mike your supposed to turn left to make yourself go right when your backing up. Thats because the rear will being going left but the front would still being going right. Follow me.

But when driving forward its just like driving a car. Turn left to go left and turn right to go right. Just remember to give it gas when you go into a turn as brakeing a track creates lots of drag.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 20-02-06, 04:47
BIG MIKE

Who said anything about backing up?LOL I know about the Skid turns, I'm really not planning in going over 15MPH on this machine, Anywho Jordan HOW in the hell do you post pics on this Forum , I think Brad is all pic't out of sending him pics to post for myself, Ill keep trying, Any word on the bogies you wanted ?

Mike
Old 20-02-06, 04:57
BIG MIKE

See if this works
Old 20-02-06, 04:59
BIG MIKE

[IMG]PICTO872[/IMG] WTF
Old 20-02-06, 12:47
RIP

Default Dyslexic Carrier

Hi Big Mike
What you are describing seems impossible to me given that all the rods and arms can only be connected one way. I don't know if this is possible but have you fitted the cam plate in backwards. As I said I don't know if this is possible and if it were I'm trying to stretch my mind to see if it would alter the track warping to opposite what it should be. I have some steering and track displacement images out of my Carrier manuals but I would think you have similar diagrams. You have something out of synch 180 degrees and it can only be in the steering box, steering spider or cam plate.

Good luck - Bob
Old 20-02-06, 13:05
T-16, C15A

Default Re: Dyslexic Carrier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Moseley
Bob,

I guess that you didn't see what happened the last time 'they' got going on the dyslexia thing - it had me cringe just reading some of them ...

The 'MkI* (Canadian) Operating Instructions and Workshop Manual' UC-F1 details the whole setup in section G. Figure number 5. shows all of the linkage, and the 'turning thing' is described in detail starting on page G-2.

Stewart
Old 20-02-06, 17:31
BIG MIKE

Bob I have no Idea what you talking about LOL Cheers to you Bob, good discription of the linkage , My linkage is Fine , But your Rite the adjustment is in the steering box witch I have to take apart and clean anyways, Eveythings Good thanks for the help my Aussi Pal

BIG MIKE