MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 10-06-06, 05:35
RIP

Default MLU dog owners-I need help !!

You know Shadow-the big Golden Retriever -his picture has been posted on the thread.As a matter of fact,the photo should have the words "WANTED-DEAD OR ALIVE" below it..About 12:00PM EDT I started watching the world cup and the Shad was laying there on the den carpet,looking like the Sphinx in Egypt staring at me.Didn't think anything about it.So I leave with my buddy to the local pub to watch the second game on TV.I get home and the Sphinx is laying there staring at me !!.Offer him bones,treats,walks-But no- he just lays there staring at me.The only time he moves is when mommy Deborah gets home from work.Then he goes out to do his business.But where does he retutrn?Back to the den,staring at me like the Sphinx.SOOO,I stare back.Did you know that the head of a Golden is probably the same weight as a standard poodle??-and I told him too.So now it's 11;30 PM,I'm alone in the basement den,and as I type,the Sphinx is laying there staring at me.Nothing works,offered him a Molson Dry beer,or get me a beer .Nada.Is there a veteraniarian psychiatrist for dog owners.WOOPS,he's really staring now.Got to get off.Call the SPCA,I need help.AHHHHHHH !!
Old 10-06-06, 14:26

We have a Goldie, and they can be moody, but usually we find they run along OK and when they are low seem to get over it.

As we have a Labrador as well, and we did this to avoid the situation of them getting lonely with interface with themselves.

It sounds to me as if your dog is stressed and if you can fix the stress source the problem will go away.

Our previous Labrador used to be good mates with daughters dogs, but through work commitments we had to move away. She just sat and stared into the room corner, but we fixed that problem by finding another dog next door to keep company with.

In many ways dogs are like humans, and need their relationships.

All the best mate

Col
Old 10-06-06, 23:12
RIP

Default Stress !!

Thanks my friend.It's funny but I never thought a dog could get stressed. He's an old golden and very gentle.Hell he's so smart I think he dog trained himself.As I'm typing this I just heard snoring here in the basement den.Our calicoe cat Cuddles is rolled up in a ball on a blanket snoring to beat the band,and the golden is laying beside me answering the cat back.I'll tell my wife about the stress,however it's caused from.
Old 11-06-06, 14:49

Hi Gary
I have a German Shephard Chimo, who is deathly afraid of guns. If I take out a gun she will run and hide and she will shake for about 15 minutes. It is probably an hour before she will have anything to do with me. This is a dog who normally hangs around me all the time. It must be from some trauma in her younger days. Strange behaviour! She is not afraid to take on and kill skunks, porcupines or racoons though.
Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 11-06-06, 23:52
RIP

Default My last dog was a shepard BUT !!

At the sound of thunder she'd try to crawl under our bed which was about 3" off the floor.When we got the golden,and we had a fierce thunder storm with the lightning,I ran down to the den.The golden slept through it.I don't know.I guess it depends on the dog.
Old 12-06-06, 01:33
Bluebell

Default Goldens

We've got one and had others. Can take them out shooting no problem, but they dont like fireworks. They know when were going to have an earth quake and they dont like thunder.
Is he well? they seem to be very prone to cancers as they age.
Maybe he's just happy to be there in your company. Theres more in the goldens head than the poodles (I'm biased)
Get him a check up at the vets.
Cheers.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 12-06-06, 06:15
In Vino Veritas

Default IMHO

I would wager that a dog toy or morsel of food is logded somewhere in that chair and he just wanted you to get it for him and was wondering why you were being so obstinent.
My old Chelsey lay near and pointing at the shoe closet for a day and a half one time. We thought she was losing it. Turns out we had thrown her rubber squeaky toy up there ,to hide it from her, a week before and while she was outside. After that, if she lay in one spot pointing at some appliance or unusual item, sure as shoot there would be a dried pea or something she wanted.
My wife thought seh was looney because she stared at a couch like that for a week one time I was away. She moved the couch a couple of times but the dog wouldn't stop, so she washed her hands of the poor dog. So stubborn that the old dog would not even go to her bed at night. So when I got home I moved the couch and told her to " go get it Chelsey" and over to the baseboard she bounded and snorted and snorted and started barking. Well it was a piece of popcorn wedged between the baseboard and the carpet, from the missus chic flick and wine and popcorn night when I was away.
So get up and tell your pup to go get what he wants. Of course you could have hurt his feelings, leaving him behind. You can bet he smelled everything you ate/drank and person you saw while he was home. Was that a change from routine? Did you miss his walk? It probably something simple , dogs are very much creatures of habit. I stay up later than melissa , but the dogs go to bed when she does. If she goes away overnight , well the damn dogs pace and pace and pace and will not finally settle down until I go to bed. Its annoying and funny at the same time.
yours
missing Chelsey
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 17-06-06, 01:58

Garry is the dog back to normal

Regards

Col
Old 17-06-06, 05:48
RIP

About 6 years ago we bought a beagle to keep our Rhodesian Ridgeback company during the day. Although we were concerned about introducing a new puppy into the house with the older dog, it only took them about three minutes before they started playing. They haven't stopped yet.
Old 17-06-06, 18:29
In Vino Veritas

Default Ruckus...

They must must a hellova ruckus knowing Beagles! My wife worked for a vet for several years and the vet is still a good friend of ours. The best combo when having 2 dogs is different breed, different size and different sex preferably. It almost totally negates the competition factor , except for the owners attention. A lab and Sheprard sound good but being the same size, they compete quite often so the Beagle and Ridgeback sound like they make an excellent match. Our two Basset hounds were bred to work in packs and got along famously. However , once in a while the younger female would try to become the Alpha female and there would be an awful fight. Apparently that urge to rise to Alpha female is even more powerful in the females so if they are same breed there will likely be fights occasionally.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff