MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 02-03-05, 23:52
MLU Administrator

Talking Snow

"Snow? So what?", the Canucks might think.
"Snow? What's that?", our Ausie friends will ask.
Well, it snowed in Holland.
Of course we've had snow before, but it's been 20 to 25 years since it snowed as much as it did today.
The North of Holland has as much as 50 cm snow.
Tonight temperatures will drop to -10 to -15 Centigrade, the coldest night since 1971.

Gordon, I need Puff!!
Attached Images

Old 03-03-05, 00:24

Default Re: Snow

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Tonight temperatures will drop to -10 to -15 Centigrade, the coldest night since 1971.
Yes, we've got the blinking stuff as well, last week it was 4 inches of the dry powdery snow and today about 3 inches of wet sloshy stuff.

I'm surprised you do not get much snow in Holland normally, must be all those windmills blowing it away

Richard
Old 03-03-05, 01:23
Richard Notton

Quote:
Nail the chains on y'r clogs then. . . . . . . .

R.
Old 03-03-05, 01:32
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
"Snow? So what?", the Canucks might think.
"Snow? What's that?", our Ausie friends will ask.
Of course we've had snow before, but it's been 20 to 25 years since it snowed as much as it did today.

Gordon, I need Puff!!
"Snow? So what?", indeed, says a Canuck.

We've gotten over 60cm over the last 3 days on top of what we've accumulated before that. Where I live, it's not called "Snowen Sound" for nothing.

It's at the stage now where I am more familiar with the controls of my snowblower than I am with the controls in my own vehicle.

But, this too shall come to pass...Daylight Savings Time is only 3 weeks away. Warm up your CMPs!

Old 03-03-05, 02:31
In Vino Veritas

Default Snow in Holland

Gee, I know how you ....nah I just can't HA HA HA HA H AH HA, HO O HEE HE TEE HEE ..COUGH CHOKE, tears in my eyes.

Well now (chuckle), it might be an excellent time to run out with a CMP and take some 1944 Dec/Jan picture replicas. ( snicker ) They would be neat to see. Anyone own a CMP over there?

Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 03-03-05, 04:46
Pops

Default Re: Re: Snow

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
"Snow? So what?", indeed, says a Canuck.

We've gotten over 60cm over the last 3 days on top of what we've accumulated before that. Where I live, it's not called "Snowen Sound" for nothing.

It's at the stage now where I am more familiar with the controls of my snowblower than I am with the controls in my own vehicle.

But, this too shall come to pass...Daylight Savings Time is only 3 weeks away. Warm up your CMPs!

Jon
There is an Aussie girl, that comes from over this way, who is putting up with all your snow, and is not all that far from you. It is something that she has not experenced before, coming form a sunny country.
Max
Old 03-03-05, 05:01
M38A1 CDN3

Max:

Is that the one that you'll be visiting?

Where, geographically, is she?
Old 03-03-05, 06:44
Dog Robber

For those of you in the normally frpzen North, it may be of interest for you to know that we got in the normally "Sunny South" 4 cm of snow on 01 March here in Atlanta.

My brand new, 9 week old, miniature Daschund dog had a ball playing snow plow in the back garden. Not that she had much choice, as her ground clearance at her age is about 1 cm anyway.

I don't know much about Global Warming, but Global Freezing seems to be alive and well at this, the end of Winter 2004/2005.
Bill
Old 03-03-05, 07:06
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Sussex has the stuff too, and people (mainly BMWs) are still driving like lunatics!
I'm not too badly off, I 've been on a skid-pan and advanced driving courses so I know what to do in this weather, It's all the others that scare the cr*p out of me!!! LOL

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 03-03-05, 08:47
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
Sussex has the stuff too, and people (mainly BMWs) are still driving like lunatics!
I'm not too badly off, I 've been on a skid-pan and advanced driving courses so I know what to do in this weather, It's all the others that scare the cr*p out of me!!! LOL
I know what you mean, problem is the average punter sees the safety features as performance aids, further, as you probably know, people with rip-off deep pockets driving new Beemers and Stuttgart Stars also consider the price and assumed elevated status has exempted them from the Highway Code and poor driving conditions.

To vastly improve road safety I would suggest we ban seat belts and air bags and as a mandatory requirement all vehicles be fitted with an 18 inch sharpened titanium spike in the steering wheel centre.

I don't know about the previously mentioned 1944 photo re-enactment of CMPs in the snow, but I'm doing an Ostfront one for my own reference today with a newly restored VW Typ.166.

R.
Old 03-03-05, 08:55

Default He doesn't beleive it....

I think that's Richard Wilson and not our Richard at all.

Anyway - the blowing gear on Puff still needs that driveshaft from Martin's truck before it'll do much - found a customer for the rest of that MH-Ford yet Hanno? hate to see it melted down.

I'm thinking I might send the Sno-Cat though - if it wasn't trapped in the back of the garage behind the two C15A's
Old 03-03-05, 10:15
RIP

Quote:

Huh? 50 cm snow in NL? I must call my family in Holwerd to check if they have survived. Stockholm today has some 10 cm and temperature - 8 centigrades (yesterday - 10).

My personal "worse" was in Boden, Northern Sweden, 1965 with 140 cm snow and temperatures down to - 40. One night even - 52, but then I stayed indoor.

So Bill, You have a dog. I would like to have one but I cannot for practical reasons. My last dog died in 1986 aged 16.

Picture: Hanna (1970-1986), battle-dog and mascot of King´s Coy, Royal Swedish 1st Guards Regiment. She could manage up to 4-5 cm of snow, not more. Despite this she reached the rank of honorary 1st Lieutenant. She was International, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish Champion.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 03-03-05 at 10:20.
Old 03-03-05, 17:56
In Vino Veritas

Default Snow pics

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
I don't know about the previously mentioned 1944 photo re-enactment of CMPs in the snow, but I'm doing an Ostfront one for my own reference today with a newly restored VW Typ.166.

R.
Neat, make sure you post! As for snow, I sympathise , really. HOwever yours will be gone so fast have fun with it instead of looking at it as a burden. I actually love it, I grumble more about the extreme cold than snow, fun stuff.
And we Canadians have to learn how to drive in the snow everytime it snows. They had over 200 accidents in Toronto in one morning last week when it snowed. These are the same guys that called out the army to help with snow a few years ago, no comment just a statement. Vancouver is like the Falaise gap when it snows, except for the aerial bombing there are smashed cars and trucks everywhere. And to be fair, wet snow is far far more treacherous than dry snow thatwe tend to get on the prairies.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 03-03-05, 18:04
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Snow pics

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowtractor
Neat, make sure you post! As for snow, I sympathise , really. HOwever yours will be gone so fast have fun with it instead of looking at it as a burden. I actually love it, I grumble more about the extreme cold than snow, fun stuff.
And we Canadians have to learn how to drive in the snow everytime it snows. They had over 200 accidents in Toronto in one morning last week when it snowed. These are the same guys that called out the army to help with snow a few years ago, no comment just a statement. Vancouver is like the Falaise gap when it snows, except for the aerial bombing there are smashed cars and trucks everywhere. And to be fair, wet snow is far far more treacherous than dry snow thatwe tend to get on the prairies.Sean
Ref the Toronto bit, that's mostly because (a), the GTA is mostly populated by idiots (country people know how to drive), or (b), we here have a disproportionate population of third world imgrunts who've never seen snow before. Put the two together and it makes me feel happy I take the streetcar to work! AARRGGHH.
Old 03-03-05, 18:52
former Resident Historian

Default No Snow!

Hi Dave! How's the job? We have had no snow here at all, save for some flakes and sleet. However there was snow about six miles up the road before the huge hill on the A36 road to Salisbury, Pepperbox Hill. Wiltshire has had snow but nothing like that dreaded night one Thursday in March when we had the Honda Jazz...daughter's college was cancelled that evening and I had a nightmare drive back through country lanes.

I remember the dreaded winter of 1962-3, when we had a blizzard just before Christmas when we went to a park near Heathrow London Airport. We started a snowball and rolled it around until we had a huge boulder!
Old 03-03-05, 19:01
MLU Administrator

Quote:
But it's great fun, isn't it? How about this big boys toy to get rid of all that snow!

Source: Vehicles of Victory
Old 03-03-05, 19:53

Default Now That's A Snow Blower

Really like the piture of the Ford snow blower. I had a chance a few years ago to pick up one similar from and airport near here but didn't act fast enough.

Bin spending most of my time indoors working on the Pattern 12, but I did move the C60 out the other day to sweep the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
snow02.jpg  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 03-03-05, 21:22
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
I'm surprised you do not get much snow in Holland normally, must be all those windmills blowing it away
Yes, they are working hard these days
Attached Images

Old 03-03-05, 21:44

Here is a re-enactment of the 1944-45 winter with my Bedford QL in snowy Kent.

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
snowy ql.jpg  
Old 03-03-05, 21:53
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Snow in Holland

Quote:
Well now (chuckle), it might be an excellent time to run out with a CMP and take some 1944 Dec/Jan picture replicas. ( snicker ) They would be neat to see. Anyone own a CMP over there?
Dirk, is your Sherman still visibile, or has it been snowed under fully by now?

H.
Old 03-03-05, 22:01
Pops

Quote:
Max:

Is that the one that you'll be visiting?

Where, geographically, is she?

Jon
She is staying at Mount Forest. Her name is Tabitha, and is over there on a working holiday. Staying with a block that she met over hear. We are still working out who will be going over from here in July. There is another young fella who has been out here that is getting married. That is why someone is going over there.
Max
Old 03-03-05, 22:14
Richard Notton

Default Re: Snow pics

Quote:
Neat, make sure you post!
Wish I could, some of the people herein may well know the restorer and his penchant for retaining all information, often, but not always, for good reason too.

The Typ.166 is a customers vehicle and so I do not have the rights to publish, especially as the customer hasn't even seen it himself yet!!

R.
Old 04-03-05, 08:58
Dutch member

Default Re: Re: Snow in Holland

Quote:
Dirk, is your Sherman still visibile, or has it been snowed under fully by now?
Yes Hanno, the Sherman is still "visible" but working in the snow is a different story.
I have ever promised Barry Churcher to come over in "Wintertime Castleton Ontario",
well it looks like Canada a little bit, I guess.

Dirk

Old 04-03-05, 14:36
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Now That's A Snow Blower

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
Really like the piture of the Ford snow blower. I had a chance a few years ago to pick up one similar from and airport near here but didn't act fast enough.
Act fast!! There's one on e-bay now!
Old 01-11-11, 00:53

Default Revival of old thread - It is snow time in the Northern Hemisphere

Revival of old thread - It is snow time in the Northern Hemisphere or the will it go in the snow time. Over the years we have had a number of threads on MLU about playing in the snow with our military vehicles.

Well SNOW has arrived early to the North Eastern United States with a late October major storm 20+ inches. While snow this time of year is not uncommon for our northern brothers in parts of Canada a storm over the weekend resulted in shattering the a 2 inch record for New Hampshire that dated back some 140 years.

The result was a very heavy wet snow on unfrozen ground. My little 1977 plow truck (another antique with only 47000miles) could not push the snow even with the blade raised 5-6 inches. So it was bring out the big truck my BEAUTY a 1942 Pattern 13 C60S to break trail for the plow couple of trips up and down the drive to pack down the snow gave the little truck a path it could actually plow snow on. The hard back snow kept the plow from digging in.

I've posted a video and some more pictures on the bottom of my Playing in the Snow page http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.com/Snow.html
Attached Thumbnails
Web Copy of Snow oct 30 2011 009.jpg  
`45 HUP
Old 01-11-11, 01:24
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Blame Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Revival of old thread - It is snow time in the Northern Hemisphere or the will it go in the snow time. Over the years we have had a number of threads on MLU about playing in the snow with our military vehicles.

Well SNOW has arrived early to the North Eastern United States with a late October major storm 20+ inches. While snow this time of year is not uncommon for our northern brothers in parts of Canada a storm over the weekend resulted in shattering the a 2 inch record for New Hampshire that dated back some 140 years.

The result was a very heavy wet snow on unfrozen ground. My little 1977 plow truck (another antique with only 47000miles) could not push the snow even with the blade raised 5-6 inches. So it was bring out the big truck my BEAUTY a 1942 Pattern 13 C60S to break trail for the plow couple of trips up and down the drive to pack down the snow gave the little truck a path it could actually plow snow on. The hard back snow kept the plow from digging in.

I've posted a video and some more pictures on the bottom of my Playing in the Snow page http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.com/Snow.html
Phil..
For years and years our southern brothers bitched and whined about Canada sending all the damned snow and cold weather down your way..but all along it was coming from the south to the north..
In Ottawa we had a beautiful sunny and 10-12C day ..
Only had our first frost a day or two ago..
So now we know where the damned snow comes from....Washington..DC..
Mwhahahahahahaha..!!
love the pix
Old 01-11-11, 01:49

Default Can't Blame Washington to much hot air

Hi Alex

Other than a few very notable exceptions Washington, DC really doesn't get big snow storms, I grew in Washington, DC. I can not prove it but I believe big DC snow storms are limited to times Congress is not in session other wise the up draft of hot air prevents significant snow accumulations.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 01-11-11, 03:17

Good day Phil,
When I heard of the white stuff dropping down there it struck me that you've had a year with several records for wet, both liquid and solid. It is good to see that the CMP is beating the modern stuff (i.e. half the age of the CMP).
Old 01-11-11, 05:50
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Snow drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi Alex

Other than a few very notable exceptions Washington, DC really doesn't get big snow storms, I grew in Washington, DC. I can not prove it but I believe big DC snow storms are limited to times Congress is not in session other wise the up draft of hot air prevents significant snow accumulations.

Cheers Phil
Hi Phil

I Loved the photos of the CMP playing in the snow. You certainly have some beautiful scenery in your location. Now I know what you meant when you mentioned snow in your email. I am glad to be sitting in the sun today.

Cheers

Tony
Old 01-11-11, 09:57
former Resident Historian

Default Mild here

It's been raining recently but it has been nice and mild..car thermo said 12C last night!