MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 16-01-11, 16:41

Default M211 in the snow

I pulled the deuce out the other day when it warmed up , and discovered how bad this thing is in the snow . a little shoveling and away we went.
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails
m211.4 002.jpg   m211.4 004.jpg  
1944 C15A , needs box and restore
Old 16-01-11, 17:31
carrier mech

The oddest thing about them is that they were only 6 wheel drive in forward. If you got stuck going forward, trying to back out was usually pretty pointless. Also, if you ride her too rough in forward, you can tear the sprag clutch out of the transfer case, which is what provides the automatic engagement of the front axle.

Apparently the dual wheels also do not help, but rather make the trail blazing worse. I have operated some of these with the later good year tires on them. like the MLVW initially had. They sure added to the cross country performance, as well as to the safety on icy roads compared to the non directional suicide tires.

Very nice and clean looking truck. Were the duals added on post military? Or was the cargo box salvaged from elsewhere? I ask because I thought the M211 had a flat bottom box, with no wheel wells.

I have been considering picking up one of the old dueces, but at present can't decide between the old duece or one of the MLVWs when they become available.
Old 16-01-11, 18:56

Default snow

yes this is actually an old mechanic service truck , but when i got it it had this box on it so i left it that way. Seems to be a pretty reliable truck.
Im thinking the farmer i got it from had the reverse sprag linkage disconnected if that sounds right . the linkage ran from the shifter back to the transfere case i do believe it would give you full 4x4.
anthony
Old 16-01-11, 19:37
carrier mech

There is no linkage for the front axle engagement....it will kick in when a certain amount of slippage occurs between the front axle and the rear axles. If memory serves it was 4 or 10%. When the rear axles are trying to over run the front axles, the sprag automatically engages.

To test if the front sprag clutch is working, you only have to jack up one front wheel. You should then be able to turn the driveshaft one way (as if to back up), but if you go the other way the shaft will lock up. If the shaft will turn freely in both directions then the sprag clutch is buggered.

Both rear axles should be engaged all the time. If you lift one wheel and try to turn it, it should not turn. You would have to lift a wheel on each rear axle to be able to rotate the wheels. If you can rotate with only one wheel raised, then you have a problem. It could be a broken axle shaft, or a broken differential. These were quite common on these trucks when I used to work on them. A trip as delicate as a road test could result in a broken diff.
Old 16-01-11, 21:45

Default linkage

rob
the linkage that was unhooked moves something on the transfere case only in reverse , so i figure he unhooked it to modify some operation of the reverse sprag.
Anthony
Old 16-01-11, 23:39
Gilles Chartrand

Rob I have had M211 & M135 at present I own 2 MLVWs and I much prefer the ML. I hope to have a new serial number for my MLVWs in the very near future and if I do then I will be road legal. My main ML is great, it sits outside in the snowbank and when I need it, jump in it and she fires right up.
I know the old M series are great but parts are getting very hard to find and they are getting pricey. To date apart from regular maintenance, oil filters etc my MLs have cost me $0. I am happy. Gilles
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03618.jpg  
Old 17-01-11, 02:10
Brian Asbury

Default M135/M211 in reverse

As described above, these GMC's automatically have the 6x6 operation when the front axle engages due to slippage of the rear axle when moving forward. This all happens in the transfer case. However I believe there is a tricky mechanism that does engage the front axle for 6x6 operation in reverse. An experienced army mechanic explained it to me but I have forgotten the details. It is activated by a linkage that functions when the shifter is in reverse. I was told that poor adjustment of this linkage would negate the ability to have 6x6 operation while in reverse.
I'll have to dust off my manuals to confirm this technical detail.
Brian
Old 17-01-11, 02:54
carrier mech

Brian
Turns out you are absolutely correct. I was but a lowly craftsmen when these trucks were being replaced.....thats my only excuse. I just went and pulled out one of my deuce manuals (TM9-8024) and it confirms that a rod would change the front clutch unit from forward to reverse operation. The linkage was interconnected with the transmission shift linkage.

So there, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Two interesting side notes about this: First, I should get rid of these manuals. I have a tendency to use the excuse that I already have the manuals as an excuse to pick up the vehicle later (it worked recently for the 5/4 ton and the TRW motorcycle).

Second, I just saw in the same manual the proper use of the linkage adjusting tool. This tool was still in the LSVW URK vehicles in the early 2000s when I left the service, and I even found one in Afghanistan when I ran the tool crib there. It is of no use on any other vehicle, but I suspect that since nobody knows what they are for anymore, they will not throw them away.
Old 31-08-11, 20:21

Default Made it to parade day

Thought i better get around to putting up some summer pics.
I think i can finally say this trucks done.
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails
M207 PARADE 004.jpg   M207 PARADE 003.jpg  
Old 04-09-11, 02:43

Default another sink hole

This Spring was very wet , this side fell right in it.
I had to shovel a bit then the ford deisel pulled very hard.
Attached Thumbnails
spring 2011 187.jpg   spring 2011 189.jpg   spring 2011 193.jpg   spring 2011 188.jpg