MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 13-01-10, 15:19

Default Playing in the snow

Hi everyone,
I finally got fed up working out in it everyday and decided to go for a play! The sunny south of England at its best.
Attached Thumbnails
Horses in snow 062.jpg   Horses in snow 073.jpg   Horses in snow 072.jpg  
Willys MB Jeep 1942
New Zealand pattern wheeled carrier 1943 (project1)
New Zealand pattern wheeled carrier 1943 (project2)
Old 14-01-10, 02:32

Hi James
Great photos. Thanks for posting them. Last year was my first year with the TA and I couldn't wait to get snow photos to post on here. By Christmas we had over 3 feet of snow and much more to come. I couldn't get the TA out as the barn was snowed in, so no photos. This year I would be embarassed to post snow photos. You have more snow than me.
Cheers from No Snowy Castleton,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 14-01-10, 03:03

Looks great James. You have more snow then we do and thats fine with me.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 14-01-10, 03:04
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

I know what you mean, Barry... as much as I've come to hate winter, I've been waiting for a massive snowfall in order to crank my jeep into 4wd and put those fat 32" tyres to work. As a result, we have NO snow on the ground in Toronto... {sigh}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Churcher View Post
Hi James
Great photos. Thanks for posting them. Last year was my first year with the TA and I couldn't wait to get snow photos to post on here. By Christmas we had over 3 feet of snow and much more to come. I couldn't get the TA out as the barn was snowed in, so no photos. This year I would be embarassed to post snow photos. You have more snow than me.
Cheers from No Snowy Castleton,
Barry
Old 20-01-10, 11:35
Roland

Hi James,

it's good to see you're having a lot of fun with it. I have helped the first owner restoring your C15TA (1988-1989). I'll send him the snow photo's. It was a real basket case when it was found in Holland. Enjoy the rides!

best regards,

Roland
Old 20-01-10, 12:35
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Snows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
I know what you mean, Barry... as much as I've come to hate winter, I've been waiting for a massive snowfall in order to crank my jeep into 4wd and put those fat 32" tyres to work. As a result, we have NO snow on the ground in Toronto... {sigh}

Jif ..
I hate to tell you but fat snow tires are useless..they ride up on top of the snow and tend to snow plough..skinny snow tires ,on the other hand ,dig down through the snow to ground or gravel and grip there ..not on the snow..skinny tires also cut through the snow while fatties tend to snow plough and burn heep big gas and get no where..stick to skinny snows if you want traction..keep your fatties for looks..

Old 20-01-10, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Jif ..
I hate to tell you but fat snow tires are useless..they ride up on top of the snow and tend to snow plough..skinny snow tires ,on the other hand ,dig down through the snow to ground or gravel and grip there ..not on the snow..skinny tires also cut through the snow while fatties tend to snow plough and burn heep big gas and get no where..stick to skinny snows if you want traction..keep your fatties for looks..

Quite the contrary, Alex.... these tyres work beautifully in the deepest snow. I've used them in past and have been the only vehicle moving, with hundreds strung out behind me riding in my tracks, literally all the way down the 404 from Newmarket to Toronto... I was literally cutting a path through two feet of virgin snowfall (I had ten-foot rooster tails from all four wheel wells). The footprint is the thing; narrow tyres just dig down until you're bellied in, and then you're screwed.
Old 20-01-10, 16:43
David Pope

I had a 1980 Chev 3/4 ton 4x4 that I used off road all winter. I found that a 10" wide 16" grip tire worked best by far. Any smaller and you weren't getting the power to the ground and any bigger just slowed you down by pushing too much snow and gas mileage took quite a hit too. The taller tires give you ground clearance but wide ones won't ride over most snow conditions anyway.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 21-01-10, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
I had a 1980 Chev 3/4 ton 4x4 that I used off road all winter. I found that a 10" wide 16" grip tire worked best by far. Any smaller and you weren't getting the power to the ground and any bigger just slowed you down by pushing too much snow and gas mileage took quite a hit too. The taller tires give you ground clearance but wide ones won't ride over most snow conditions anyway.
Depends on the type of snow, of course. My tyres are 32-11.50x15s (deep dish rims which replaced the standard 16" factory rims) and they seem to do a pretty good job. The 31-10.50s I had on my old jeep were ok, but tended to dig into really deep, fluffy snow, whereas these seem to float a bit better (plus they have a really aggressive tread pattern for bite). I think the 33-12.50s are just a bit too much though, even if they do look good. I'm running 4.10 diffs, but I think I should have gone for a bit higher ratio; in a headwind on the highway you can't pull fifth gear at normal speed limits (2WD of course).

I LOVE big pickup trucks, but the advantage of this in mud or snow is its short wheelbase. I can always pull a trailer if I need extra carrying capacity.

Jif

PS: Gas mileage with this 4L engine sucks anyway, so I'm not too worried. Might change it out for a 4BT diesel down the road, but this engine's still strong so I'll leave it for now.
Old 21-01-10, 16:36
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Whoops!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Depends on the type of snow, of course. My tyres are 32-11.50x15s (deep dish rims which replaced the standard 16" factory rims) and they seem to do a pretty good job. The 31-10.50s I had on my old jeep were ok, but tended to dig into really deep, fluffy snow, whereas these seem to float a bit better (plus they have a really aggressive tread pattern for bite). I think the 33-12.50s are just a bit too much though, even if they do look good. I'm running 4.10 diffs, but I think I should have gone for a bit higher ratio; in a headwind on the highway you can't pull fifth gear at normal speed limits (2WD of course).

I LOVE big pickup trucks, but the advantage of this in mud or snow is its short wheelbase. I can always pull a trailer if I need extra carrying capacity.

Jif

PS: Gas mileage with this 4L engine sucks anyway, so I'm not too worried. Might change it out for a 4BT diesel down the road, but this engine's still strong so I'll leave it for now.
Hi Jif..
You say...
"I'm running 4.10 diffs, but I think I should have gone for a bit higher ratio; in a headwind on the highway you can't pull fifth gear at normal speed limits (2WD of course).
If you put higher ratio diffs in,both of course..say 3.71:1..you would be in second gear in a head wind...that would really suck..
But your overall gas mileage would improve..mucho..
The old flat head Fords..'49-'54..had 4.11:1 rear ends.. they were the ideal ratio for making the old girls "Peel"to impress the chicks at school..no top end..but fast enough to scare a fellow..That is why they came out with overdrive.

You may want to look at your transfer case instead.This would be your best bet...change the input gears..
Check this out..
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

There are 40 something gear variations in the transfer cases..so there is something there for you..
Changing your diffs would not be the answer..
Check this out..
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...nput_gears.htm

Enjoy..a good project for the barn boys..
Or the Scag..when he isn't busy..
Old 21-01-10, 18:00

Alex

Thanks for those links. When I said 'higher' I meant numerically. In my previous jeep I went from 3.09s to 3.71s to accommodate the 31-10.50s, and while that wasn't enough, it did the trick, and it was cheaper than changing out the diffs themselves. The 4.1 diff gearsets I have in this seem to be about the same with these 32" tyres. I should have gone to ratios in the mid-4s methinks...

What I really need with THIS vehicle is a closer 5th gear - it's too far apart from 4th. Either that or a lower overall drive ratio (cheaper). I'll look into that transfer case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Hi Jif..
You say...
"I'm running 4.10 diffs, but I think I should have gone for a bit higher ratio; in a headwind on the highway you can't pull fifth gear at normal speed limits (2WD of course).
If you put higher ratio diffs in,both of course..say 3.71:1..you would be in second gear in a head wind...that would really suck..
But your overall gas mileage would improve..mucho..
The old flat head Fords..'49-'54..had 4.11:1 rear ends.. they were the ideal ratio for making the old girls "Peel"to impress the chicks at school..no top end..but fast enough to scare a fellow..That is why they came out with overdrive.

You may want to look at your transfer case instead.This would be your best bet...change the input gears..
Check this out..
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

There are 40 something gear variations in the transfer cases..so there is something there for you..
Changing your diffs would not be the answer..
Check this out..
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...nput_gears.htm

Enjoy..a good project for the barn boys..
Or the Scag..when he isn't busy..