Notices

Old 20-06-06, 02:58
Brad Mills

Default \

\
Old 20-06-06, 16:06
carrier mech

Brad
This is another of the carrier mysteries which we will hopefully solve in this thread.

The cushion portion shown on the storeage diagram is held on with a strap, and covers the forward 2/3rds of the board. There are actually two of these cushions, one located on the board which fits on the two angles, and another of the same cushion is used as a kneeling pad, located on the floor board forward of the gas tank.

The seat board, as near as I can figure, is a piece of plywood with 4 blocks underneath which locate it on the two angles. The board does not go right to the back armor, as there has to be enough room for the grease gun hose to sneak through and latch on to the dummy nipple located on the flare gun bracket.
The stowage diagram shows more screws through the board than would make sense, so I think my expplanation of the board may be too simple. I look forward to some photos as well.
Old 21-06-06, 00:54
Bluebell

Default Line drawing

this may help someone with some detail.
Ex Jeff Plowman.
Attached Thumbnails
p24 stores housing.jpg  

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 27-08-07, 04:57

I spent some time this weekend trying to figure out the rear seat bast in the MK1 UC. I also got what I feel is reasonably close to the orginal. I may be off in some of the details/ dimensions but with no known origianls its rather hard to make an exact copy.

First up is this drawing from a manual showing the rear seat components. The complete drawing was posted on this thread.

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...highlight=seat

Notice how the drawing shows two layers of plywood with a riser between them. I scaled them out to be 2" in total height from bottom of lower plywood to top of upper plywood. This only appears to go a far forward as the cushion. My thinking on why this is there is to keep your rear end from sitting half on/off a cushion.

Notice also how the cushion comes up to the top edge of the left side metal bracket and that there is two layers to the cushion. I believe that the cushion is in fact made up of two seperate pieces and that the strap would be undone to remove one layer for the kneeling pad.
Attached Images

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 27-08-07, 05:06

Here is an up close copy of the famous looking straight down picture.

Notice the buckle for the strap is all the way over to the side. This would suggest that it has room left for another cushion. This is becuase the other one is being used as a kneeling pad. Also of note is the fact that there is very little shadow to the left edge of the cushion. If you compare this to other objects that have some height they all have shadows casting to the left. To me this suggests that the wood to the left of the cushion is level or very close to being level to the seat cushion.

Also note the arrows pointing to the screws in the wood. This seems to make sense with the drawing above.
Attached Images

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 27-08-07, 05:09

Now onto what I have made.

These are the two metal brackets that are bolted to the lower hull side and the mid engine frame rail. Both of these were copied off of originals.
Attached Thumbnails
rear01.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 27-08-07, 05:12

Here is the wooden seat base that I made up. It still needs to be painted and assembled. I have just placed a spare utility strap to show my thought of how it would be fastend to the top side of the base. The cushions would then be placed on the strap/wood with the strap being done up.
Attached Thumbnails
rear02.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 27-08-07, 05:20

Here is what I have imagined the bottom side would look like. I have nothing to support my idea other then I have somewhat copied how the front seat backs are mounted. I went for metal strips as i just can't see wood lasting since it woudl be constantly chipped by the metal brackets.

I tried this out and it does not slip out of the backets when everything is mounted in place. It is also extremly easy to remove to get at the fuel tank and grease gun. The screw hole pattern was copied from the front seat back brackets. On the original brackets they were riveted, however for simplicity I am using maching screws with counter sunk heads and nuts.
Attached Thumbnails
rear04.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 27-08-07, 05:22

Here is a closeup of how the metal strips lock into place with the brackets on either side.

Please let me know what you guys think about my ideas on this.
Attached Thumbnails
rear03.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 07-10-08, 06:48

Here are some details for the rear seat base that I have made up for my UC. I can't say for sure how accurate it is but going by the pictures and discussions with others it appears to be rather close.

The measurements may be a bit off but the seat does work very well with the metal bars being sufficient to hold it in place while the UC is moving over rough ground.

The red arrow in the last picture is pointing towards the front of the UC
Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg   02.jpg   03.jpg   04.jpg   05.jpg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer