MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 10-08-04, 20:03
48th Highlander

Default France 1940

Hi Geoff:
I wish to give many kudo's to you and everyone on MLU for your always interesting threads. You have to indulge me in hearing some of my ancient old vets war stories, but in June of 1940 for a young soldier of 18, yet to see any real action it sure was a great and exciteing time. I thought during the excursion into France our task was to relieve the 51st Highland division but my good buddy Art Johnson once told me he thought it was the 52nd. Maybe one of you chaps can clarify this. As everyone knows Rommel desimated the 51st. So it is obvious that I was fortunate having not completed this task. A little point of personal interest. There was a rumor that excentric Lady Aster at the Port of Plymouth was pulling all soldiers off the gang plank who she thought were too young to go to France, which scared the hell out of me. I am sure every veteran who made this crazy dash into Europe during this period could tell some pretty fantastic stories.
Old 10-08-04, 20:44
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: France 1940

Hi Norm;

The 52nd (Lowland) Division went into France on 8th June 1940 and came out again on 18th June 1940 - '2nd BEF'.

Cheers
Old 10-08-04, 21:08
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Norm

Hell, Norm, if it wasn't for YOU guys we wouldn't be here doing this... all of what you see here in ultimately in YOUR honour, sir. It is our privilege.

Old 10-08-04, 23:29
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: France 1940

Hi Norm;

The original plan of the 'Second BEF' was for the 52nd (Lowland) Division and Canadian 1st Division, along with ancillary troops, and the remnants of the 51st (Highland) Division (Beauman Force) and 1st Armoured Division, who together would form the 2nd Corps BEF, was to take up positions along the general line - St. Nazaire-Rennes-Pontorson, so has to threaten the flank of a German advance towards Le Mans-Angers-Nantes, by drawing the Germans westwards, thus relieving the pressure on the French Army.

But as we know this plan never came together because of the collapse of the French Army, and the 52nd (Lowland), like the Canadian 1st Division, only had one brigade, the 157th, plus their supporting artillery, actually advance into France after disembarking through Cherbourg on 8 June, through which port they were withdrawn from on the 18 June 1940. 157th Brigade did link up with the remnants of the 1st Armoured Division and Beauman Force, but by then, it was already to late.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 10-08-04 at 23:34.