MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 15-06-07, 18:20
Paul

Default R.C.A.F headstones - Ballykelly

I have not gone in to any detail on these names, my only purpose is to show them on the Forum so that anyone who knows of these brave souls can see the details or pass them on to descendants, family, etc.

Should I be going against the purposes of the Forum, I apologise.

Ballykelly is on the same road as Eglinton and Maydown, and the graves are in the Parish Church which lies against the boundary of the base. All are in a row against the end wall and there are a couple of gaps that suggests that bodies may have been repatriated at the end of the war.

This photo is of the headstone of Pilot Officer Ian Lachlan MacFadyen (Son of Alexander and Catherine MacFadyen, of Port Arthur, Ontario, Canada).

The unusual part of this grave is that there is a tablet to the right of it which I will show in the next part of this post.

Paul

Last edited by PPS; 15-06-07 at 21:05.
Old 15-06-07, 18:22
Paul

For some reason the photo did not attach, so I will try again.

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
ballykelly rcaf.jpg  
Old 15-06-07, 18:28
Paul

As I said in the first message, there is a tablet to the right of this headstone as shown in the photo.

I wonder who Aunt Ann was? Whoever she was, the tablet is dated close to the date of death Of Ian, if that is who it was meant for.

I have had to crop it to fit it in, if any one wants a better picture, please send me an email address.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
ballykelly - aunt ann2.jpg  

Last edited by PPS; 15-06-07 at 20:48.
Old 15-06-07, 18:30
Paul

Another headstone of George William Gerring (Son of David and Martha Gerring, of Brandon, Manitoba, Canada):-
Attached Thumbnails
ballykelly grave 2.jpg  

Last edited by PPS; 15-06-07 at 21:06.
Old 15-06-07, 20:50
Paul

Default A third headstone - R.C.A.F.

And a third headstone of Wilfred Clark Wallace (Son of Thomas Arthur and Laura M. Wallace, of Nelson, British Columbia, Canada):-
Attached Thumbnails
ballykelly grave 3.jpg  

Last edited by PPS; 15-06-07 at 21:09.
Old 15-06-07, 20:51
Paul

Default And a fourth headstone.

This is the fourth of the headstones in Ballykelly Parish Church of Vaughn Albert McLellan (Son of Vaughan Bertram and Eleanor Woods McLellan, of Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada):-
Attached Thumbnails
ballykelly grave 4.jpg  

Last edited by PPS; 15-06-07 at 21:12.
Old 15-06-07, 20:59
Paul

Default The fifth and final headstone in Ballykelly

This is the last of the headstones in Ballykelly Parish Church of Sidney Albert Hardie Richards (Son of Sidney Albert Richards, and of Robina Hardie Richards, of North Esk Boom, Northumberland Co., New Brunswick, Canada).

If you notice you will see that there is a Poppy cross below most of them, and there is the remains of one at the other.

Unfortunately I cannot claim the black marks on them as a fault in the photos, or ladybirds as in the one in Eglinton. These are the result of vandalism by those in the area who find "fun" in carrying out acts such as this. Apparently the culprits are known, but nothing can be proved.

I will keep a lookout for other Canadian related headstones in my area and post a photo if I can.

If anyone knows of a grave here in the north of Northern Ireland, I will try and get a photo if at all possible. It might not be immediately, but I will try.

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
ballykelly grave 5.jpg  

Last edited by PPS; 15-06-07 at 21:14.
Old 24-06-07, 13:15

Default They Shall Grow Not Old

"Richards, Sidney Albert Hardie FS(WAG) R113705. From North Esk Boom, Northumberland County, New Brunswick. Killed in actio Oct.24/43 age 20. #86 Squadron. Liberator aircraft # FL 954 carshed at Lough Foyle, Ireland. FS. J.A Deschamps and seven crew mambers, not Canadians, were also killed. Flight Sergeant Wireless Operator Air Gunner Richards is buried at Tamlaght Finlagan Church of Ireland Churchyard, Ballykelly, County Londonderry, Ireland."
Old 24-06-07, 13:25

"McLellan, Vaughn Albert WO1(WAG) R73406. From Moncton, New Brunswick. Killed in Action June 19,/44 age 22. #59 Squadron (Ab Uno Disce Omnes) The crew of the Liberator aircraft # FL 989 were on an anti-sub patrol when they flew into high ground in cloud at Glengad Head, County Donagal, Ireland, Ireland. FS P.E. Baillargeon, FS.s K.J.N. Apitz (RAAF), B.A. Cooper (RAAF), J. Haines (RAF) and F/L R.P. Wade (RAF) were also killed. Warrant Offeicer Class 1 Wireless Operator Air Gunner McLellan is buried in the Tamlaght Finlagan Church of Ireland Churchyard, Ballykelly, County Londonderry, Ireland."
Old 24-06-07, 13:34

"Wallace, Wilfred Clark WO1(WAG) R134952. From Nelson, British Columbia. Killed in Action June 24/44 age 24. #59 Squadron (Ab Uno Disce Omnes). The crew of Liberator aircraft # FL 977 were on a night anti-sub patrol when they crashed in the Benevanagh Mountains, Ireland. WO F.G. Logan, P/O. G.W. Gerring, WO H.G. Coombe (RNZAF), and five of the crew, not Canadians, were also killed. Warrant Officer Class 1 Wirless Operator Air Gunner Wallace is buried in the Tamlaght Finlagan Church of Ireland Churchyard, Ballykelly, County Londonderry, Ireland."
Old 24-06-07, 13:39

"Gerring, George William P/O)WAG) J90925/R134227. From Brandon, Manitoba. Killed in Action June 24/44 age 23. #59 Squadron (Ab Uno Disce Omnes). Liberator aircraft crashed. Please see Wallace W.C. for casualty list and flight detail. Pilot Officer Wireless Operator Air Gunner Gerring is buried in the Tamlaght Finlagan Church of Ireland Churchyard, Ballykelly, County Londonderry, Ireland."
Old 24-06-07, 13:45

MacFadyen, Ian Lachlan F/O(P) J36483/R186683. Fron Port Arthur, Ontario. Killed Mar.6/45 age 21. #1 Advanced Flying Unit. Anson aircraft # LV 153 flew into a hill in the Sperry Mountains, Northern Ireland. Three airmen, not Canadians were also killed. Flying Officer Pilot MacFadyen is buried in the Tamlaght Finlagan Church of Ireland Churchyard, Ballykelly, County Londonderry, Ireland."
Old 24-06-07, 16:44
Paul

Default Re:- They shall grow not old

Many thanks for supplying the details of the graves, and may I just say that anyone who wishes is welcome to copy the photo's and forward them on to respective squadron sites and/or remaining family if they are known.

Paul.
Old 28-06-07, 06:29

Default Ballykelly

Ballykelly was an RAF coastal command airbase during the war, as evidenced by the fact that these men flew on Liberators, a VLR aircraft. Dad said they flew like cows. He didn't like them. the actor, Jimmy Stewart was a USAAF pilot of Liberators during the war--a very brave man.

One of the most dangerous aspects of flying was landing during inclement weather. These were probably not considered to be operational losses as they occurred during landing or approaches. A great many aircrew perished on friendly soil.

JDC
Old 30-06-07, 10:44
Paul

Default Crash sites

In connection with all of the graves related to the R.C.A.F. , is there an accessible record anywhere of the crash locations (Grid reference, Lat/Long)?

I can see Benbradagh from my house, and it has a long history of claiming the lives of fliers. Lough Foyle is not far away, and the hills of Donegal are on the other side of it. The Sperrins are to the south of where I live, and they also played their part in claiming lives.

Paul.