MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 27-08-05, 01:12
Vets Dottir

Default Fatal bear attack in St. Clements Manitoba

This story just out. This is "back home" ... no name released yet. I'm following the story ... other sites say the man who lost his life in this attack is 69 but aren't releasing his name yet. K.

Quote:
Fatal bear attack in St. Clements

There's been a fatal bear attack in the RM of St. Clements this afternoon (Friday), and police are warning the public that the bear is still on the loose.

The attack happened in the 2 mile area west of Highway 59, south of Highway 4 and east of 2 mile road. Police say if you live anywhere near there, stay inside until the bear is located.

RCMP Sergeant Steve Colwell tells us it happened just after 3:30 P.M. Selkirk RCMP went to the scene and an officer found the man. The bear then came at the officer, who fired two shots with his revolver and turned the bear away.

At the moment, RCMP are on site with the Department of Natural Resources, and are awaiting a helicopter that's en route. They believe they know the general area the bear is in.

Colwell says the bear is wounded and stresses that if you see it, don't approach it.

No details are yet available regarding the victim.

CJOB's Jeff Braun reporting.
Old 27-08-05, 03:24
Vets Dottir

Default Update

The good news is that the bear died shortly after being shot and they found it's body, so it didn't suffer long and is no longer a danger to the commuinity.

There are a lot of black bears around the area ... we lived in a bear crossing. Not often one actually attacks anyone though. They tend to be scared of people ... maybe the summer people from the beaches areas feed them so many of them aren't so afraid of people anymore?

I used to be terrified (and still am of bears ... too scared to visit any outhouse at night)
Old 27-08-05, 04:43
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
... too scared to visit any outhouse at night)
.....I'll bite, so if thats the case, where do you wee and sh*t at night ...... in the bed ......................

Old 27-08-05, 04:55
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Black bear kills Manitoba man
The black bear that mauled a 69-year-old Manitoba man to death has been found dead.

The man was attacked while picking plums north of Winnipeg Friday afternoon near Highway 59..

A police officer and the man's family found his body but the bear was still in the area, and it came at them..

The officer fired two shots, wounding the animal.. Its body was found a few hours later.

Manitoba Conservation spokesman Hank Hristienko says it's difficult to determine what prompted the attack, because some bears will act in a defensive way and huff and stomp the ground if you are too close..
Then, He says there are bears that will look to humans as potential prey and their approach is often silent..

Hristienko says bear attacks are still extremely rare. This is only the third time a black bear has killed a person in Manitoba since the late 1920's..

CJOB's Robert Holland reporting
Old 27-08-05, 04:56
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
.....I'll bite, so if thats the case, where do you wee and sh*t at night ...... in the bed ......................

Nope ... that's what chamber pots were for
Old 27-08-05, 08:35
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner

But what about the bear? Where does it sh*t, in the woods or somewhere?
Old 27-08-05, 09:40

Default City Bears

Nope......... Not city bears.This is not all that unreal
we have coyotes and bob cat taking dogs and cats
in the middle of a citiy of 4 million +people and for
anyone who hasnt seen a scorpion they own the place
we just rent......
Patrick
Old 27-08-05, 14:16
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

HAH! So Canada's not as safe as some of the other BS artists here make it out to be! I thought the only hazard was the risk of Frostbite or Hangover. So, little Aussie snakes and spiders are nothing in comparison with wild (wile 'e?) Coyotes prowling suburban streets looking for Tim Tams, but being chased off by the bears. Some people ought to be ashamed at themselves for duping Foreigners about the natural risks so obviously widespread in Canada.
Old 27-08-05, 17:19
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
But what about the bear? Where does it sh*t, in the woods or somewhere?
Wherever it feels the urge : ... so watch your step and don't step on any dark stuff with red berries in it
Old 27-08-05, 17:23
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
HAH! So Canada's not as safe as some of the other BS artists here make it out to be! I thought the only hazard was the risk of Frostbite or Hangover. So, little Aussie snakes and spiders are nothing in comparison with wild (wile 'e?) Coyotes prowling suburban streets looking for Tim Tams, but being chased off by the bears. Some people ought to be ashamed at themselves for duping Foreigners about the natural risks so obviously widespread in Canada.
Okay ... I'm going to start whole a new thread in Sargeants Mess specifically for ANIMALS and CREEPY CRAWLIES around us ... us Canadians will tell you bout our Canadian creatures ... and y'all can tell us about yours

Karmen
Old 27-08-05, 23:23
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Bear victim was Harvey Robinson, 69, of RM of St. Clements.

Bear was killed by two shots from Mountie 9-mm Glock pistol.

We don't have the sharks and those suburb-loving snakes like in Oz, but we do have the occasional fatal cougar and grizzly attack on people. Fatal black bear attacks are very rare. Polar bears up north are very dangerous - they'll hunt people.

We fret more about mosquitoes here.
Old 27-08-05, 23:46
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by cmperry4
Bear victim was Harvey Robinson, 69, of RM of St. Clements.

Bear was killed by two shots from Mountie 9-mm Glock pistol.

We don't have the sharks and those suburb-loving snakes like in Oz, but we do have the occasional fatal cougar and grizzly attack on people. Fatal black bear attacks are very rare. Polar bears up north are very dangerous - they'll hunt people.

We fret more about mosquitoes here.
Hi Mark,

I feel very badly for this man and his family ... what an awful way to go .... I am also relieved to report that Mr. Robinson is not someone in our family and friends loop, so far that I know.

This story stirred up some bad memories for a woman in Beausejour I think ... brought back memories of having been severely mauled ... she'd commented about it being an awful way to go as well. She was pretty damaged physically and psychologocally and hasn't worked since ... but had been working in Corrections.

Concidering we lived in a bear crossing, and everyone back home still does, it says a lot about the bears not going out of their way to be aggressive, since attacks are extremely rarely heard of ... 3 fatal ones since the 1920's says much. Attacks at all, rare. However, there are always many, many, bear sitings that always worry people ... news of a siting travels like wildfire so people get "in the know" PDQ.

Thanks for the update with this man's name Mark.

Karmen
Old 28-08-05, 01:32
RIP

Default Bears ??

I saw a bear lady on the beach in Naussau Bahamas10 years ago!Does this count??Actually if I'd had a gun a the time--Oh well!!
Old 28-08-05, 01:41
M38A1 CDN3

Up here, in Owen Sound, which is probably still classified a part of Southern Ontario, (not quite Northern Ontario), we had 4 bear scare reports in 4 days, as well as a school bear scare (parents advised to pick up kids at the school bus stop off points).

If venturing any distance into my property, I carry a suitable rifle...just in case.

Much of our problem in this regard has to do with an Ontario Provincial government decision to cancel the spring bear hunt. The results are obvious...urban sightings are becoming quite common, as the bears forage for the lack of their own food, like berries, and start to feed on human garbage.
Old 28-08-05, 05:53
Vets Dottir

Default Bear sitings

Jon,

I remember when we were up there for CC4 that you and Betty mentioned that bears had been sited wandering around your area. It's nice that they're usually timid and run from humans, but they do get used to humans when foraging around where we live ... and when hungry, sick, or hurt, or if they have little ones, they're scarey, period. Be careful in your walks, both of you, as I know you are anyways.

I know that through Banff and Jasper areas (British Columbia and Alberta border areas) people like to try and feed the bears ...

Animal and human nature is to go where sustenance is when food is scarce hey ... like where the food can be found ... with bears and opther critters, thats usually garbage or the delicious smells of grease and things on BBQ's ... or pet food outdoors, or garbage and picknick food.

In Nelson, every year bears come into town in search of food (scarce in the mountains these days) ... they're attracted by garbage, and by all the fruit ... every year people there are asked to pick all the fruit from their tress on their properties ... including the no good stuff, and everything that drops to the ground ... most people try ... but every year, bears are shot dead (not able to tranquilize and remove to other areas)

MANITOBA ... is loaded with fruit and wild berries for the black bear ... all kinds. We even have wild hazel nuts ... I remember as a kid being delighted to pick them
Old 28-08-05, 07:46
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir

This story stirred up some bad memories for a woman in Beausejour I think ... brought back memories of having been severely mauled ... she'd commented about it being an awful way to go as well. She was pretty damaged physically and psychologocally and hasn't worked since ... but had been working in Corrections.

Karmen [/B]
We did a sidebar story yesterday on the Beausejour attack, with quotes from Diane James: http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Mani...90098-sun.html

Also today, a woman was mauled by grizzly in Alberta, but survived - she's on the Sunday front page.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...190902-cp.html

My girlfriend is certain she scared off a black bear by barking at it when we were once canoeing in the Whiteshell, in the wilderness zone - all I heard was a bunch of heavy rustling in the bush near our tent. Never saw it, but I had the big spray can of Bear Guard ready. Last time we were out in the Whiteshell, we saw no bears around the remote cabin we were at, despite warnings from the camp operator, but we did see two of them along Hwy 44 (Beasejour area) when we were driving home.
Old 28-08-05, 07:49
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

BTW, this may only mean anything to Karmen, but Robinson's place was right on Hwy 59 - which for those who don't know is a busy four-laner to cottage country. He was not way in the bush, but the house is well off the road.
Old 28-08-05, 09:02
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by cmperry4
BTW, this may only mean anything to Karmen, but Robinson's place was right on Hwy 59 - which for those who don't know is a busy four-laner to cottage country. He was not way in the bush, but the house is well off the road.
Thanks for those links to the stories Mark. BTW ... at age 6 we moved from Beaconia/Balsam Bay to Beausejour where I started school and went through to complete grade 5, so I know Beausejour

Highway 59 ... if you're talking St. Clements, I'm a little confused ... I know there's a turnoff on 59 that heads to Selkirk ... before Beaconia turnoff coming from Wpg... maybe even close to Scanterbury turnoff? I was just that way last year but don't remember.

Hey Mark ... this is a really off the wall question ... but around Scanterbury turnoff I think : on 59, there is a memorial ... also gas station/cafe/lodge of some sort ... with MATTHEW SINCLAIR MEMORIAL LODGE ... I've bombed all over the place in trying to find out more information about that place and the story behind its anming and honouring Matthew. It's supposedly named after my Mom's fisrt husband ... (he left the family about 1950-ish and died around 1992 I think) ... how can I find out more details??? If you know and can give me some ideas, I'd be really appreciative.

Hey ... mosquitoes will be gone for a few months again soon!!!!

Karmen