MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 14-09-07, 14:57
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Easter Rally in Auckland NZ?

I am reliably informed there is to be an Easter Rally in Auckland the week following Corowa '08. Can any of you Kiwis out there fill us in on the details, and point us to any applicable website covering this event?
Old 14-09-07, 15:40
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Nothing yet on the NZMVCC calendar, but that's probably because everyone is planning to go to Wanaka!
Old 14-09-07, 23:10

Morning, Yes next Easter the Auckland Branch of the NZMVCC is hosting the rally here in Auckland. Apart from it being a rally it is also the 30th anniversary of the NZMVCC, so planning is well under way and we look forward to participating and celebrating
with our fellow club members from around the country.
Kiwi Kev who is the editor of the NZMVCC Magazine I'm sure can fill in with more detail as well as where to look for info etc. If you are by any chance down this way for Corowa or holidaying, then come along and join us for some fun here in the City of sails.
Old 14-09-07, 23:17
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Thanks, David!

Is this going to conflict with Wanaka, as Tony alludes? I skipped through the Wanaka site, and they are anticipating a pretty good HMV turn-out to compliment the birds - would those owners be drawn from your lot as well as locally?
Old 15-09-07, 00:51

Default Rally/Wanaka

Hi Geoff, Yes unfortunately the 2 events do clash, Wanaka does draw alot of North Islanders to its event but not so much with vehicles due to fuel and ferry costs. Although last years rally which was held at Omaka ( not so far south as Wanaka) had a good turn out of Nth Isl MV's. It would be great to see the South Island boys and thier MV's here for the 08 Rally,or any other time, but if not it is fully understood the distance to travel, and also the support that they give to the Airshow which as Tony would testify is fantastic ! We anticipate a good turn out for the Rally and even though Aucklands a big city those who want to get there wheels dirty will be taken care of. Hope thats of help David....
Old 15-09-07, 06:30
C8AX Ambulance (NZ), UC1*

Default The dates are

21 to 24 March 2008 in Auckland

Corowa is advertised as 10 to 16 March 08

For those from the northern hemisphere (ie top half) it is a 3 hour flight from Melbourne (or Sydney) to Auckland.

I mentioned it to Jif as it is probably the closest in dates for a while. The following year the rally is in Gisborne which is 500 km from Auckland - a 1 hour flight or 6 hour drive! Dates are 10 to 13 April 09.

Rob
Old 16-09-07, 05:36

Yes its a shame the the two event clash. What generally happens is the the South Island Members tend to go to Wanaka, and the North Island Members tend to go to the Annual rally.

Wanaka (Held on the even years) for those that have not been is the Alpine Fighter collection hosted Warbirds Airshow, near Queenstown. They put on a great show and entertainment as well as a ground theatre combining the Aircraft, Military Vehicles and the reenactment groups.
The annual MVCC Rally is held at a different location each year, this year it was held in the Blenheim area with a visit to the WWI Fighter collection, which has their airshows on the Odd year.

The format is usually the AGM held on the Friday night, an event or run on the Saturday to a place of note or a cross country drive, Sunday tends to be another drive a combination of on road and off road, sometimes a perhaps more adventurous group go and try the hand at a more difficult trip, usually involves Mud. Then everyone heads of home on the Monday

For 2008 we are organising the rally here in Auckland. Generally it is a private affair, and as such have not normally involved non members to events however this year we are considering opening it to past members and I can see no reason if enthusiasts make the trip down under, why the can't come along, However they would need to pay fees for the meals, events, etc as we are unable to accommodate any free tickes.
We are just completing details so I cannot tell you what is happening however I should be able to do this in a couple of weeks.

Al the best
Kev