MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 12-01-12, 14:26

Text deleted as information is no longer current.

Last edited by Stuart Fedak; 05-10-15 at 00:56.
Old 13-01-12, 02:17

Since I am I think one of the few local MV owners who participated I think it pertinent to post into this thread.

Be very careful, many people, hoards of children with no parents either in sight or exercising any kind of control.

Most children treated all the displayed vehicles as being play structures.

When asking children to stop reefing and hauling on fittings on the vehicle I was displaying, I got the big "wha is it to you it belongs to the Army" speech from more than one parent.

When I showed them the signage stating it was privately owned and operated they yanked the kids off and went over and ripped apart the CWM vehicles on display.

R
Old 24-01-12, 03:42

As the other of the few local MV owners who participated, I can attest to Robin’s statement. Though on their way over to rip apart the CWM vehicles on display, they stopped by my vehicle. Door straps are ineffective, even when coiled with convincing fake barbed wire. The message was apparently lost. As Robin said, even placards were ignored.

This problem is common to MVs however (though I expected better at this show), you don’t see people helping themselves to the drivers seat of someone’s Corvette at the local cruise night. I’m not sure why they see MVs differently, but they do. I’ll be one of the first to show appreciation to our Vets and their families, however I don’t want my engine flooded or the starter switch stepped on. It’s unfortunate because we go to all the effort restoring these vehicles to share with the public.

Consistency is key though, because if you’re not letting people onboard, the first time you make an exception for a deserving Vet, look over your shoulder. They’re watching and you’re about to be overrun. Eric and Dan will recall “the incident” at the Bunker I’m sure.

All that said, it’s a worthy event. Hopefully more MVs will turn out this year. Perhaps the organizers can provide some assistance with this issue. Or maybe someone can bring a MP uniform

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 24-01-12, 04:29
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Perhaps some barrier tape or fencing to keep the crowds at bay???
I don't know what the answer is but I do know that I have in the past had to keep guard duty on my vehicles either myself or with an appointed person.
I agree, the Public has much disregard for privately owned vehs as most of them are morons and don't know a jeep from a truck. Its green so it must belong to the Army.
I have found that for the most part, participation amongst MV related shows has a different culture vs public events. Maybe public events are best left to our representatives in uniform to safeguard taxpayer owned equipment?
Most MV related events, not all, have certain understood rules pertaining to the observation and molesting of displayed items.
I have been in both camps in the past; in public, leave the doo-dads home, batten everything down, disconnect the batteries, stand by and hope for the best. The general public is ignorant of everything for the most part and certainly does not appreciate the nuances of having properly displayed kit etc.
On the other hand, not everyone at a MV show is an angel either, but, many guys can and do appreciate being able to inspect and molest your veh, of course with your permission. I can attest that I take great pride in my workmanship and am hapy to show it off to persons with a true and sincere interest.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 24-01-12, 14:49
RIP

If my M38A1 is road-worthy I may attend this but will give consideration to roing off an area (although real barbed wire obstacles are worth a thought).
Old 24-01-12, 17:56
carrier mech

When I used to display with our club at airshows I always roped off my vehicles. Some guys didn't want to rope theirs, and after a while many of them became converts.

I did notice some trends regarding ropes:
1: If you let the ropes sag to the point where a person could easily step over them, then you might as well not have them. People for some reason believe the sagging rope is the same as a designated entrance.

2: If you start taking the ropes down at the end of the display, your vehicle will be swarmed by the remaining public. You almost have to wait for them all to be gone.

3: There will always be those who want to retain souvenirs. They don't really care what they get, as long as they get something. A small bit of locking wire between the vehicle and the items will slow them down to the point where they fear getting caught and you will get to keep your grenades/mortar rounds or whatever.

With those in place, there were a couple things I would do for the viewers, so they got some experience from the event. For the kids, I would keep a deactivated rifle and sten handy, along with a couple of the old cadet battle dress jackets and a couple of the smallish mk2 helmets. I would ask the parents permission and let the kids pose with them. It was a good photo op for the kids, and who knows, maybe turn them into collectors one day.

The other thing I did was I would bring one of those sets of mechanics stairs, the ones with handrails and a front bar. The ropes would start and end on the sides of the stairs, giving the public a chance to go up and view (but not go into) my carrier from above.
Old 24-01-12, 20:16

Default Message Relay From OMVA Events Co-ord.

This may belong in the OMVA section however, it applies to this thread.

Mark would like to pass along to membership that he has "contacted CFSU(O) re participation from OMVA" to this event. Feel free to contact Mark at Mark.Paine@aadnc-aandc.gc.ca with questions/comments.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 26-01-12, 21:08

Default A PSA on behalf of the most exalted one....

All,

The following message from on high.....(I'm starting to feel like a phrophet )

From Mark;

I have been in contact with the CFSU(O) event coordinators and have the following information to share.

The CF Family Appreciation Day will take place over two days this year - June 2nd from 1000 to 1630 hrs and June 3rd from 1000 to 1530 respectively.

The OMVA and larger military veh family has been invited to participate and I have discussed the issues of vehicle security/protection (there have been lots of comments on this) and they have agreed to rope off the area and to provide volunteers to assist us in ensuring the little kiddies aren't crawling all over our stuff (unless approved by the owners). I understand from CFSU(O) that the Canadian War Museum will also be participating and mil veh will all be co-located as was done last year.

Lunch is to be provided, and I am told in a better fashion from last year. No word on the band that was playing last year (I understand Don D wanted to join them.) Gas, however, we are on our own. They will also have drip pads for us (no they are not depends).

For those interested in assisting, please email me and let me know of your interest. I have to provide them with an indication of how many will be participating, which day(s) and also let me know what specific veh you would be bringing as well (so that they can figure out how much space to allocate). They have not provided a drop-dead date as to when they need this information but I would ask that you let me know by Fri 4 May (which gives all of us plenty of time to forget). My email is mark.paine@aadnc-aandc.gc.ca .

I have already mentioned to them that if pers are to attend both days that it is more than likely some of us will remove our veh from the site at night and bring back the next day.

Thanks to Jeff for helping me get this on MLU. I will retry registering to the site.
Old 28-03-12, 01:43

Hmm, wonder if my new work truck will be in by then and kitted out . . . somehow doubt it, shame . . . would love to show off some armour not owned by the CF on tracks . . . what to choose . . . ?

I saw a spare electric cattle fence in the barn the other day . . . . .

Don't know if I will be building a house by then, will have to see.

Two days?

Are they doing overnight security?

R
Old 28-05-12, 19:25
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default 2nd Annual Family Appreciation Days- CFSU(Ottawa)

Good afternoon all:

An update from my personal point of view:

I spent a great deal of energy negotiating the Swords and Poughshares Museum's participation in this worthwhile event as we had decided that it would be our big show of the year for this season. Things went very well and we had an agreement on camping, support, what we would bring and where we would set up, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, late in the process the decision to allow us to camp was reversed and I felt we couldn't participate if we couldn't guard our stuff. Military Police and Corps of Commissionares will be patrolling 24 hours a day during the event, however, I wasn't comfortable with that seeing as there is a big concert planned with an open beer tent right next to where we were to set up. We were to be allowed to have our own security picquette but no camping. The number of blanks we could fire also became an issue; so, all things being equal, my volunteers have voted with their feet and we have reduced our contribution significantly.

We will be particpating on Saturday only, with one truck (likely the CCKW) and the six pounder, which will fire once at 1300 hrs. We will arrive at 0900 and depart at 1600 hrs. This isn't sour grapes, just an honest assessment of what we can do within existing constraints and with the volunteers available.

Looking forward to seeing many of you there (with rope barriers and barbed wire?)

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 29-05-12, 12:08

Mike,

interesting risk management by you, hope you have a good time, still bouncing round fields and planting soy beans, so wont be there.

R
Old 29-05-12, 19:56
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Plant that seed, tote that bale!

Robin:

Just don't be out in the middle of a wide open field when one of the thunderstorms passes through!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords