MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 29-05-11, 16:17

Default MLVW Divestment?

Hi

Not sure what will be done with them but last week I started to get the Equipt Movmt Orders for my MLVW Fleet.

"Divestment" is the buzzword for getting rid of old stuff now.

Say what you will but they soldiered on and did a pretty good job for us. I fondly recall hauling a jury-rigged 30,000litre water pod up a steep mountain road about 6 times in Bosnia back in 1994. The downside was...........the down side of that mountain!!

Hand on the park brake, foot on the service brake, tranny in "1" and ready to jump at a moments notice!! Only task I did alone 5 of the 6 times, as I couldn't find a co-driver very easily.

regards
Darrell
Old 29-05-11, 16:43
M38A1 CDN3

Hey, Darrell: Long time no hear from!

I agree with your comment about the MLVW soldiering on...that 8.2 liter diesel seemed, like the Energizer bunny, to just keep goin'.

We did our last MLVW crse at Meaford in February, but there doesn't seem to be any MSVS crses scheduled for Meaford.

I said hello to Fabian Poirier for you...he was Pl WO/TCEP for our crses.

Regards
Old 29-05-11, 16:57
carrier mech

I always liked the MLVW. It was a neat mix of solid 1950s M series with a modern engine and transmission.
There were a few field mods that made them much more livable. Installation of HLVW buckets (vice the drivers seat and co-driver's bench seat) made the long drives from Shilo to Suffield much more bearable. To make up for the marginal heater, I would plumb in a Iltis heater directly in the cab. The original MLVW heater then was used strictly for defrost.

Standard in our area was the replacement of the wiper blades with the Iltis blades. The old trico blades really did not get the job done. This replacement was actually sanctioned by the LCMMs, although not an official modification.

I really was hoping to pick one or two up at auction. Hopefully they do not all end up as targets or scrap.
Old 29-05-11, 22:43

Hi Jon

I've been around but the problems I had logging into the Forum last year sorta caused me to be away from it for awhile. That and not having any vehicle restos to do. As well, I cannot begin to tell you what a busy last 18 months or so it has been. I was almost sucked in a Mil Veh Resto project again but dodged it. There are a couple of good felllas leading the 8CH Ferret resto anyway now. Then a posting to the Armour School last Aug and going flat out since. Somehow the RSM clued in that I'd be the guy to hold the Ferret and Cougar Monuments in my Troop bays and do the deal with the Gagetown Museum for the runner Ferret. Once in, ya just can't get out!!!

Ahhh, yes; Fabian. Good guy despite stealing my Patrol from me for Afg way back in '02.

You'll like the MSVS, Jon!! To paraphrase Frank Zappa: Strictly commercial(pattern) though.

The ole ML-icopter sure was a workhorse. Honestly, Rob, I have never seen one with HL seats or Iltis blades. Pure genius, those mods!! Ditto for the Heater mod.

I wouldn't mind owning an MLVW but honestly, I can't see it happening.

Be well.

regards
Darrell
Old 09-06-11, 02:16

Default Love Hate relationship with the MLVW

Darrell and I come from the same school on this subject literly. We both cut our teeth driving an MLVW with the VIII CH in the mid 80's in Petawawa during our respective TQ3 Armoured training and the MLVW was a reletivly new truck. I remember being a Leopard Gunner in Lahr and being tasked to drive the Kitchen trailer to Saltau in the north because the cook had an impaired charge and no 404's. I did not have much experience but the truck was simple and easy to drive in a pinch.

My hate relationship was in the summer of 85 in Petawawa while training with the 2IRRC I was in the back of a MLVW with 17 others and few in the cab when the driver lost control and rolled the truck into the ditch. It sat behind F-16 for a while in the compound. I wish I would have had my camera to show how lucky we were that day. I always had a nervous feeling in the back after that.

Dave
302Trooper

Last edited by 302Trooper; 20-06-11 at 04:20.
Old 09-06-11, 12:59
Gilles Chartrand

Default Mlvw

When the first ML's were sent to Crown Assets we purchased 3 of them, one was an MRT with Hiab and 1 x RPSS Supply truck and a cargo. We sold one truck this spring, the MRT last year and this leaves us with one. I have been trying to get them registered but no luck in the province of Quebec, now I live in Ontario and will try a few new angles.
The truck we have has been modified as we removed the intermediate axle, but we didn't shorten the frame, we changed the location of the muffler exhaust. The pipe is over the cab, added extra lights and the remainder is the same.
This truck was parked outside all winter and it started everytime without being boosted. The truck is our yard truck for the moment and does all the dirty work.
I have both MLVWs and the US M35 basically the same truck but the ML is superior and has power steering but the M35 is my workhorse onroad vehicles and drives to shows often pulling our Mobile Kitchen trailer, yes we own a MKT just like the ones in service.
The guy I bought the truck from bought 35 at one time and plans to buy as many as he can when they get rid of the remaining fleet, he sold 6 trucks and parted out the remainder(made a fortune).
Yes the trucks are big but if you have the space, they are really worth having. The first 2 pictures are MLVWs and the last is a US M35. Gilles
Attached Thumbnails
MLVW_MPT2 [].JPG   DSC02682.jpg   thefleet9.jpg  
Old 11-06-11, 04:02

Hi wpns did you paint that m35 i love the color if you did what is that paint?
Old 11-06-11, 15:23
Gilles Chartrand

Default Paint MLVW

Yes we painted all our vehicles. The paint we use comes from the US and is called "Marine Forest Green". I purchase this paint from Willy's Acre, price is about $75.00@ gallon. It is a nice green not shiny. Gilles
Old 18-06-11, 23:59
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Zinck View Post
Hi Jon

I've been around but the problems I had logging into the Forum last year sorta caused me to be away from it for awhile. That and not having any vehicle restos to do. As well, I cannot begin to tell you what a busy last 18 months or so it has been. I was almost sucked in a Mil Veh Resto project again but dodged it. There are a couple of good felllas leading the 8CH Ferret resto anyway now. Then a posting to the Armour School last Aug and going flat out since. Somehow the RSM clued in that I'd be the guy to hold the Ferret and Cougar Monuments in my Troop bays and do the deal with the Gagetown Museum for the runner Ferret. Once in, ya just can't get out!!!

Ahhh, yes; Fabian. Good guy despite stealing my Patrol from me for Afg way back in '02.

You'll like the MSVS, Jon!! To paraphrase Frank Zappa: Strictly commercial(pattern) though.

The ole ML-icopter sure was a workhorse. Honestly, Rob, I have never seen one with HL seats or Iltis blades. Pure genius, those mods!! Ditto for the Heater mod.

I wouldn't mind owning an MLVW but honestly, I can't see it happening.

Be well.

regards
Darrell
Darrell: Check out Wpns 421's post above.
Old 21-06-11, 00:49

Hi Jon

If you're alluding to the fact that he has x2; Forget it!!

I'm saving for another Karmann Ghia.

regards
Darrell
Old 21-06-11, 14:35
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Proto-type military orders for retrofit kits

CYMAT ANNOUNCES PROTO-TYPE MILITARY ORDERS FOR RETROFIT KITS

Listing: TSX
Symbol: CYM

TORONTO, June 21, 2011 /CNW/ - Cymat Technologies Ltd., a materials technology company focused on the military, automotive and architectural industries, today announced that it has received and delivered proto-type orders in association with the April 21, 2011 HMMWV RECAP Request For Information. These prototype orders utilize Cymat's SmartMetal as part of a survivability solution for under belly protection for two proposed HMMWV geometries.

These solutions have been designed to accommodate both existing vehicles, as part of an extensive recapitalization plan, and new OEM vehicle production. The material continues to demonstrate effective and lightweight blast mitigation properties. Success in this application for the US military would mean access to further commercial opportunities within the group of NATO country Armed Forces who collectively retain a large fleet of this vehicle type. It is anticipated that these retrofit kits will be produced in North America.

"Cymat is focused on supporting our Defence partners and looks forward to collaborating with them and their testing needs", said David Fowler, President of Cymat. He added "With the quick delivery of these proto-types, we look forward to subsequent orders to move towards final phase validation."

About Cymat:
Cymat develops innovative materials for industry. The company has worldwide rights, through patents and licenses, for producing Stabilized Aluminum Foam. The ultra-light metallic foam is manufactured by bubbling gas through molten alloyed aluminum containing a dispersion of fine ceramic particles and can be produced as either Near-net Shapes or Flat Panels. The result is a revolutionary material with a wide array of features including very low density, mechanical energy absorption, thermal and acoustic insulation, is recyclable, time and temperature insensitive and has a relatively low cost of production. Cymat is collaborating with a number of partners spanning the automotive, architectural and blast mitigation industries. For further information, visit the Web site www.cymat.com.
Old 21-06-11, 15:49

Default What's foam got to do with MLVW's?

Alex, CYMAT makes Aluminum Foam that has been used on a demonstration basis in blast mitigation applique kits. This announcement is based on US Humvee programs to re-capitalize (RECAP) these vehicles and keep them in service longer. CYMAT supplied samples to a company trying to compete for that work. Nothing to do with Canadian programs.
Old 21-07-11, 04:45
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Anyone involved in the two MLVWs that were parked by the weigh scales on a trailer just outside of Terrebonne Qc about two weeks ago?
Old 22-07-11, 22:10

Hi

What's in Drumheller?

That's where all the divested MLs are going apparently.

regards
Darrell
Old 23-07-11, 14:31

Corrections has a prison there.

Maybe some kind of inmate make work program?

R
Old 24-07-11, 23:01
Gilles Chartrand

Default MLVW divestment

My brother works in a prison near Trenton and they refurbish the 5 ton fleet in their workshops. if what I heard the trucks will probably be disassembled and parts sent to scrap unless they have. Devious plan such as refurbishing them and then giving them away to some needy country??????
P.S. My brother is not an inmate but an assistant warden, just thought I would kill the remarks before we got started. Gilles