MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 17-03-11, 07:05
Canadian Rangers

Default Tent Sections

Hey All

I won an auction from the Canadian Gov't that was listed as Tent Sections, when it got here I opened the "crate" and found 1 5 man Bell Tent complete with the center pole and pegs. It looks like it is in awesome shape but I will know for sure when spring comes and I can set it up. In the box I also found 1 Penthouse End, 1 Blackout Skirt, 1 Truckend (second Tag that said Blackout Penthouse) and what I believe is a complete Mod Section, all of these look brand new, however like I say spring will tell.

Does anyone (still in the military) know what the heck these pieces are for, I had a look at some of the pieces and the one labelled blackout skirt is about 2 feet wide and 10 (ish) feet long.

Gary
M152 CDN
VW Iltis and M101 Trailer

Old 17-03-11, 09:44
carrier mech

The blackout skirt may be the section of canvas that you attach around the back and side of a truck when the penthouse is attached. It would keep the elements in/out and prevent light from escaping the attached tent. These days, they are most commonly found on the MLVW SEVs, such as control offices or medical trucks. There should be an NSN either on the tag or on the canvas somewhere. If you print that number on this thread, someone can look it up and tell you exactly what it is for.

I have bought a few lots of canvas from CADC and they are always like a grab bag of treasure. If the canvas is currently still used, it is unlikely that the stuff you bought will be in new condition. If it is obsolete though, then it could well be. Things like WW2 bell tents were still very common a decade back, but will almost certainly head out the door as scrap these days. Even the scrap canvas from the modular tents is better canvas than you will normally buy to cover stuff outdoors.
Old 17-03-11, 15:55

I picked up 2 of these sections the other year off of ebay. A buddy picked up one aswell. They are great when we do the WW2 displays as I can park my jeep and carrier under them if it rains.

I had to make up the poles but figured out dimensions that seem to work really well. For the main uprights I went with 8', the ridge poles are 9' long and the ones to hold up the sides were 5'. When we had all 3 attached together the shelter was almost 30' long.
Attached Images

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 17-03-11, 21:16
Canadian Rangers

Default Tent Sections

OK, so I checked out the sections and found I have 1 "Tent Section End Panel" NSN: 8340-21-880-86, 2 Blackout Skirt (Truck end Blackout) NSN: 8340-21-880-9887, and 1 "Tent Section Roof Pent" NSN: 8340-21-880-9882. These numbers are under the NSN for theroof, W8473-2-MM1G/01-PT, FMCO and the date of manufacture.

Gary
M152 CDN

Old 17-03-11, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_bath_jr View Post
Does anyone (still in the military) know what the heck these pieces are for, I had a look at some of the pieces and the one labelled blackout skirt is about 2 feet wide and 10 (ish) feet long.
Nah, It's a kilt for a dronken Scotsman. He wears this just before he blacks out

Daimler Dingo Mk1B 1941
Daimler Armoured Car Mk1 1943
Daimler Ferret Mk1/1 1959
Ford Universal Carrier No2 MkII* 1944
Ford GPW British Airborne 1944
Lightweight 10 Cwt Trailer SS Cars Ltd 1944
Anti-Tank Gun 6 Pdr 7 Cwt MkII 1942
Daf Trailer YAA602 1954
Daf Trailer AT16-24-1NL 1977
Daf 2100Turbo 1982
Old 18-03-11, 04:57
Terry Warner

Default Penthouse kit

If it is what I think it is, then you have the linkage between an MLVW CP and a conventional section of modular. The one I'm familiar with is square on the top side where it laces onto the box, and is held up and out from the door with special universal jointed arch. Then, there is a set of complicated skirts that attach around under the tailgate and the stairs. The bottom end laces onto the modular tent as per normal.

I'll run that NSN to see if it matches the one I've just described.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 18-03-11, 15:22
carrier mech

As I recall there were three unique pieces of canvas for the MLVW penthouse. There is the skirt, the interface piece, and the special end wall for the mod with the extra lacing. I am going by memory, but the numbers listed (21-880-98XX) are in the right area for the MLVW penthouse.
Old 19-03-11, 00:39
M38A1 CDN3

BINGO!

These items are for the Penthouse for the 1 1/4T Truck Van, and is a royal bitch to assemble!

I have the whole Operational and Support Maintenance Manual if anyone wants/needs clarification as to proper nomenclature/NSN etc.

Jordan: Not same stock class, not related

Rob: Is this a gotcha?

Last edited by Jon Skagfeld; 19-03-11 at 00:41. Reason: Revise text
Old 19-03-11, 02:10
Canadian Rangers

Default Manual

Hey Jon

I would love a copy of the Manual, please, I got 1 roof section, 1 end section, and 2 blackout skirts. I would love to see what they go with and how they setup, included with the auction was a 5 man bell tent with the enter pole, this I know how to put together I have never seen the penthouse before though,

As a side note if anyone is coming to the convoy next year and needs a tent I have 1 - 5 man bell, 2 - 14x14 House tents, and 1 - 2 man arctic tent (circa 1943)...lol

Gary
M152 CDN

Old 30-03-11, 04:52
RIP

This may be of some use. The drawing comes from some papers loaned to me by Rob Love.

Old 30-03-11, 05:51
Canadian Rangers

Default Thanks!!

Hey Jon

I got your letter in the mail today, Thank you very much it will come in handy when I am ready to try and figure out the shape it is in and how to assemble. Does anyone have or know where to get some poles for this beast? I might be able to get some made based on the manual from Jon but if I can get the real thing that would be better.

Gary
M152 CDN

Old 30-03-11, 06:04
M38A1 CDN3

Gary: The poles are made from the same material as the framework for the Modular Tentage.

It seems that all metal items related to any kind of similar tentage is very hard to find.

Good luck!
Old 30-03-11, 06:17
Canadian Rangers

Default Poles

Hey Jon

Again Thank you very much, if you ever need anything and I can help let me know. I have an M152CDN dated 1954, it has the poles on the roof for a penthouse, think this one would fit?

As for the poles I might be able to fab something up based on the drawings in the manual you sent.

Gary
M152 CDN

Old 30-03-11, 15:43
M38A1 CDN3

I'd say that the roof configuration differences between the 1 1/4T and the M152 would preclude a matchup of what you have.

Start fabbing
Old 30-03-11, 18:22
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
BINGO!

These items are for the Penthouse for the 1 1/4T Truck Van, and is a royal bitch to assemble!

Rob: Is this a gotcha?
Yes Jon, it's a gotcha. In my defense, you have to appreciate that I am presently living in a tent at Kandahar airfield, so my usual reference manuals are not nearby.

Most of the first round of Cdn NSNs for the 5/4 ton were in the 21-869 to 21-872 number range. Numbers in the 21-880 range were from the end of that decade or early into the next decade. That was why I went with MLVW, but it was an incorrect assumption.

In the words of an ex-CDS:"mea culpa".
Old 31-03-11, 03:14
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
In the words of an ex-CDS:"mea culpa".
hehehe. In the words of another ex-CDS "It was my subordinates' fault."