MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 09-04-22, 22:10
MLU Administrator

Default Highway tread tyres

An example of highway/ road pattern tread tyres on a Ford F15A Cab11. More often seen on trucks used domestically (in Canada) than overseas.

What is under the tarp on the cargo box?

Quote:
CVA 586-275, Vancouver Archives. May 1944. Lots of details: Dominion Royal Tires, specifications stenciled on the open door. Browning .50 cal M2 on anti-aircraft mounting under the tarp on the back deck. Soldier is wearing a combination of coveralls and battle dress blouse, rather informal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	29D787A5-EF1B-4DC9-8CB5-37ED318262F7.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	544.0 KB
ID:	128146
Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/8596...9412634794836/
Old 09-04-22, 22:54

It may be a Ford, but it looks to have a Chevrolet front axle...
Old 09-04-22, 23:12
carrier mech

I had a cab11 Ford that had the Chev front axle as well....was quite common on the early Ford trucks.

Re the tires, I read in one of the war diaries at work about the directions to conserve rubber. The early cab11 would have had runflats when made, but these were to be reomoved and replaced with regular tube tires and the runflats only used on the more front line type vehicles (artillery tractor perhaps). They were even to remove one of the two tires on dual equipped truck and run the trucks as singles, again to conserve rubber. The highway tread tires may have been to help conserve rubber, but having driven with the bar tread tires for a lot of years now in this god-foresaken province, I can guarantee they provide better handling in icy conditions.
Old 10-04-22, 05:54

Trust me to notice the signpost.

Based on a current map of British Columbia, that truck was very likely parked at what is now known as the intersection of BC Highway 93 and what is now called Highway No. 1 (The TransCanada Highway) at Lake Louise. At that point, the angles of the direction signs are a pretty close match to the highway junction. Banff, Calgary and Windermere would be to the East, Golden, Field and Yoho to the Southwest and Lake Louise roughly North, behind the camera.

That raises the question of what was an early CMP Canadian Army Truck doing there in May, 1944. Was there a Training Base in that area? Or perhaps a POW, Work Camp or Internment Camp operating in that area?

As for the tyres, I suspect a set of chains was probably somewhere on board that CMP. Not a place to be without them at that time of year.

David
Old 10-04-22, 11:14
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
What is under the tarp on the cargo box?

"Browning .50 cal M2 on anti-aircraft mounting under the tarp on the back deck."
That looks way bigger than an M2 .50. The Tombstone Drum for the .50 mounts to the side, not on top. I'd think more like the size of a 20mm Polsten? Anyway, remove the tarp and show us in the next pic, please Hanno!

And the Note inside the door? "Tires F50 R15" Surely that can't be the correct front and rear pressures? What else could that read?
Old 10-04-22, 14:44
carrier mech

It would appear to be 55 or more likely 65 for the rear tire pressure. The R overlaps the first number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post

That raises the question of what was an early CMP Canadian Army Truck doing there in May, 1944.
With the demands for equipment during the war, the early trucks remained in service throughout in domestic service. After-all, they were only a couple years old.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-22, 19:31

This photo also raises an interesting question as to why a Polsten Gun was in that particular location, if no logical camps were in that area.

Given it is May, there is still evidence of snow on the ground and the truck is located on the Eastern rise to the pass at Golden, would this truck be part of an Avalanche Control Team? The area between Field and Golden is a bad one for avalanche activity, but when did the Canadian Military get involved with proactive control of this annual problem?

A 20mm seems a bit of a light gun for such work but maybe it was effective under certain circumstances on its own. Or could it have served more for target spotting, in support of the crew of a larger field piece like the 25-pdr?

David
Old 10-04-22, 20:15

Default Driver Training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
This photo also raises an interesting question as to why a Polsten Gun was in that particular location, if no logical camps were in that area.

David
Both the Vernon and Sarcee Camps are in the area and you cannot rule out something as mundane as driver training.
Old 11-04-22, 01:50

If you go to the Vancouver Archives and do a search for that photo number a very large number of other pictures come up. Sadly none of the same truck.

https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/...Type=inclusive
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-04-22, 14:30

Default Interesting photos

Hi Jordan

Always good to find another photo archive. There is the same shot of the truck, wonder if the head title Convoy to Banff is the expectation with all types of vehicles taking part.

The picture title I found interesting was the one of Canadian Woman's Army Corps standing at attention, like so many photo captions they need to be taken with a grain of salt. Or did the Canadian Army use the terms Parade Rest and Attention interchangeably?

But again thanks for the new archive to explore.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 11-04-22, 19:56
MLU Administrator

Default Cva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
If you go to the Vancouver Archives and do a search for that photo number a very large number of other pictures come up. Sadly none of the same truck.
That's strange. Once scanned, one would expect the photo to show up in the online archive.

There's only one photo with CMP trucks I could find:

"CVA 586-2753 - Army convoy [to Banff National Park]"

Name:	5aca2f02-9da4-4e05-9240-162c5ffe2ed7-A05729 (1).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	591.1 KB
ID:	128151
Source: https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/...ational-park-8
Old 11-04-22, 20:28
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

This may be the same truck:
https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/army-convoy-31

Has XT2 in lower left windscreen in both photos
Old 11-04-22, 21:00
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce MacMillan View Post
This may be the same truck: https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/army-convoy-31

Has XT2 in lower left windscreen in both photos
Well spotted! Here is the original as shown in the first post: https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/...ational-park-2

And here are some more CMPs: https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/vehicles-military
Old 12-04-22, 12:30

I am positive I have seen this picture before.....but I never noticed the Polsten in the back..... nor can I remember where I saw the picture!!!!.....Could it be the WW2radio facebook page that used to have lots of Life magazine pictures???
Old 12-04-22, 12:52

Default Drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi Jordan

The picture title I found interesting was the one of Canadian Woman's Army Corps standing at attention, like so many photo captions they need to be taken with a grain of salt. Or did the Canadian Army use the terms Parade Rest and Attention interchangeably?

Cheers Phil
There was Attention, At Ease and Easy.

ED
Old 21-04-22, 20:48
MLU Administrator

Default highway tread tyres in the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Re the tires, I read in one of the war diaries at work about the directions to conserve rubber. The early cab11 would have had runflats when made, but these were to be reomoved and replaced with regular tube tires and the runflats only used on the more front line type vehicles (artillery tractor perhaps). They were even to remove one of the two tires on dual equipped truck and run the trucks as singles, again to conserve rubber. The highway tread tires may have been to help conserve rubber, but having driven with the bar tread tires for a lot of years now in this god-foresaken province, I can guarantee they provide better handling in icy conditions.
More photos of CMP trucks with highway tread tyres in the snow in BC, courtesy of Phil Waterman.

Name:	453FC4B4-0ECE-4BCF-BE94-EC617917F648.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	128287 Click image for larger version

Name:	F656708D-ED5D-43A1-AB6E-1AB50C62635F.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	128286

http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/C...20Columbia.htm