MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 19-12-20, 14:36

Default Height difference VIEWER Netherlands, craters, hangars, bunkers

I found a new (to me) website which could be very helpful for research; AHN viewer.
It's a tool that shows the current height differences in the Netherlands. This allows you to look "under" the trees in a wooded area.
Last weekend I was at the Twenthe airfield.....trying to find remains of the former WW2 Fliegerhorst. We found craters and concrete remains in the woods, but I was completely gobsmacked that this AHN viewer shows the complete layout of hangers, bunkers and craters!

For those who want to have a look around. AHN viewer can be found here:

https://www.ahn.nl/ahn-viewer
https://ahn.arcgisonline.nl/ahnviewer/

In the upper right corner you can turn different layers on and off . You can also make a layer transparant and combine more layers.
I am having the most luck with a combination of the 3rd and 5th layer (AHN3 "maaiveld dynamic" and "Hillshade".

Attache are some pictures of the location north of the Twenthe airstrip (Enschede airfield)......starting with a screenshop of google maps....and than the ones from AHN viewer.

As the AHN shows the current height differences, you won't find anything that's buried beneath the surface.....or craters that were filled in. So, the tool works best for wooded areas where craters and remains of structures were left alone.

The last picture is from an area close to Deelen airfield.....no, it's not the moon.

If anyone knows of any similar tools that cover Belgium, UK and France....please let me know, as I would love to have a look at some locations.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2020-12-19 Twenthe.jpg   Kaartje-Twenthe-2.jpg   Kaartje-Twenthe-4.jpg   Kaartje-Twenthe-3.jpg   Screenshot_2020-12-19 AHN-viewer(1).jpg