MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 10-02-10, 15:41
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pier View Post
Blimey well done on that Alan. That is first time I have ever seen another PU8/4 moving apart from my own. That is the one that now resides in the Victory museum in Auburn Indiana. It still looks exactly the same and even appears to have the same mud on it?
Ron,

Please note that Henry Venetta's Museum is closed. Henry passed away and his collection was sold to a certain Reed Knight of Knights Armament. It has been moved to Florida, I hope the PU8/4 is included and will enjoy it´s retirement in the sunshine state -possibly after a good wash for the first time in decades?!?

Hanno
Old 11-02-10, 14:57

Hanno by Henry Vennetta, you mean the place in Auburn? Sorry but I've not heard of him. I'll google up this other place and see what comes up. I'd like to keep track of the other PU. I never found the staff/director very helpfull at auburn. Thanks for the heads up. Ron
Old 11-02-10, 15:18

All I can come up with re Reed Knight is references to his gun making company?? Ron
Old 11-02-10, 18:49
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Default Victory Museum, Auburn, Indiana

I thought that Kruse Auctions purchased the inventory of a Belgian museum and moved it to Auburn. I visited that museum several years ago and from what I can find it's still in operation.

Regards,
Jim
Old 11-02-10, 18:55
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Name Change..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Price View Post
I thought that Kruse Auctions purchased the inventory of a Belgian museum and moved it to Auburn. I visited that museum several years ago and from what I can find it's still in operation.

Regards,
Jim
Name change...

Quote:
The WWII Victory Museum is now the National Military History Center

This is more than a name change! This is the marking of the start of the next phase in creating a museum complex honoring our nation’s military and its remarkable soldiers, sailors and airmen who have guaranteed our freedoms for more than 200 years.

The complex will spotlight the service and sacrifice of America’s military through a variety of museum units and major galleries dedicated to Young America’s military, World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, the Cold War, and today’s War on Terror. This newest phase of growth will create the unprecedented American Veterans Hall of Honor and Veterans Research Library. The library will not only be a research tool, but will preserve a variety of materials for future generations.

The World War II Victory Museum, which is one of the world’s most impressive collections of WWII military equipment, was the first phase of creating this center. Fund raising efforts are currently underway to create room for new exhibits and expand the Center’s educational programming.
There are also many other changes underway. Soon there will be a new National Military History Center web site which will grow to become a vital resource for students, teachers, researchers, history buffs, and anyone interested in learning more about America’s military.

The site will feature an updated look, easy to use navigation, eye-catching video and photo galleries, and more.

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 28-10-12 at 15:28. Reason: formatting - please use the quote button
Old 12-02-10, 12:29

Alex,

Do you know anything about their plans with vehicles in the World War II Victory Museum itself? Are they "streamlining" the collection to a certain theme?
The reason I ask is because recently a few Tatra's, an Auto Union and NSU motorbike came up for sale on Ebay and they were obviously from the Victory collection. According to the dealer offering these, he had more interesting vehicles coming up for sale soon.
It could be that they are selling some vehicles that are less "interesting" to creat funds to buy others?

(other) Alex
Old 03-01-21, 14:17
MLU Administrator

Here is the auction entry dating back to 2012:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/m...s-truck/734450

Quote:
Click image for larger version

Name:	0cd614fe547196683f4a11d28f55f5aa38491deb.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	475.6 KB
ID:	118805

1940 Morris Commercial PU 8/4 4x4 Wireless Truck

Sold For $12,000
Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.
RM | Auctions - THE NATIONAL MILITARY HISTORY CENTER 8 DECEMBER 2012
Identification No.
V3991
Addendum

All military vehicles and artifacts offered in this sale are sold "As Is" and "For collector purposes only". These military vehicles and artifacts should never be loaded and/or fired with any ammunition. We make no warranty and/or representations as to the suitability or fitness of these items for use. By purchasing military vehicles and artifacts you hereby and irrevocably waive any and all claims against Auctions America by RM, Inc. and agree to indemnify and hold harmless Auctions America by RM, Inc. from any injuries or death associated with these military vehicles and artifacts. Please note, there may be an associated licensing fee based on the location of licensing, and bidder must satisfy himself as to all licensing and import requirements in his home state or country.

Please Note: Information regarding these museum display vehicles was provided by the National Military History Center and has not been independently verified by Auctions America by RM ("AA"). As such, AA does not verify, warrant or guarantee any of this information. Prior inspection and research by the buyer is highly encouraged and recommended.

ATTENTION: Buyers are responsible for securing transportation and moving/loading of lots. Lot may be left on display indefinitely in the museum free of charge with a signed loan agreement form. Lots are sold as is, where is.

Please note this is being sold on "Bill of Sale" only.

Manufacturer: Morris Commercial Cars Ltd., Birmingham
Production Year: 1940
Engine: Morris OH, in-line, liquid-cooled, 74-hp, six-cylinder, 3.48-litres
Transmission: 4F1Rx1
Brakes: Hydraulic
Wheelbase: 96-inches
Length: 13-feet, 4-inches
Width: 6-feet, 7-inches
Height: 6-feet, 8-inches
Weight: Approximately 2.6-tons
Armor: None
Armament: None
Maximum Road Speed: Approximately 55-mph
Markings: British Army green

In 1933, the British War Office issued specifications for a new type of purpose-built GS (General Service) truck. The specifications included carrying loads up to 15-cwt (15 “hundred-weight”= 1500 pounds), and utilization of commercially built components as much as possible; along with short wheelbase, good ground clearance and a semi-forward driver’s compartment. Five manufacturers produced prototypes including Morris Commercial, Ford, Commer, Guy and Vauxhall (Bedford). Morris Commercial was the first to produce a prototype, designated CS8. The 4x2, 15-cwt CS8 entered production in 1934 before being phased out in 1941 by the improved C4. The 4x4 PU 8/4, as displayed, entered production in 1940. Even though the PU 8/4 shared the engine and most other components with the CS8/C4, the load capacity was reduced to 8-cwt to improve performance. This type of model of the PU 8/4 carried a No. 11 wireless transmitting set (radio) with a special transmitting table and fittings for batteries and equipment. An auxiliary generator was fitted for charging the wireless batteries. In 1942, the British army ordered all production of 8-cwts to cease in favor of 15-cwts. Only 1,192 PU 8/4s were built.
Old 03-01-21, 14:20
MLU Administrator

In 2012 it was sold to a collector in the UK, and it came back on the market earlier this year.

It is now in the hands of the most capable Morris-Commercial restorer that I know of.

It will be fully restored and taken much better care of than by the previous owner who parked it in a muddy field....

Click image for larger version

Name:	G 1014.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	118806
Old 03-01-21, 22:46

That Morris from the Victory auction was a former picture vehicle in a British production.

I believe it was: ‘The Triple Echo’, also known as AKA ‘Soldier in Skirts’, 1972.
Old 03-01-21, 23:01
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. View Post
That Morris from the Victory auction was a former picture vehicle in a British production.

I believe it was: ‘The Triple Echo’, also known as AKA ‘Soldier in Skirts’, 1972.
Interesting titbit. Sadly I cannot find it here https://www.imcdb.org/
Old 04-01-21, 18:21
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan McGuinness View Post
Our friends on HMVF have posted a link to some great home movies from 1970 of early MV collecting in the UK - scroll down to the bottom here:

http://www.steamcar.net/past-cars.html

The third movie at about 16:48 is particularly relevant for this string (it's all entertaining though).
The video is no longer available on that site, but it can be found here: https://vimeo.com/9185388

To see all of Jeff Theobald's video's, go to: https://vimeo.com/user2003563