MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 11-02-14, 13:49
Terry Warner

Default RCEME 70th anniversary (May 2014)

I was recently contacted by a serving RCEME maintainer asking about MV collectors in our area. I responded with a short list of the owners I could remember, but added two cautions.

First I reminded him that all historic vehicles need repairs and maintenance. Access to parts bins, labour or scrapped vehicles might smooth the wrinkles for owners to put their vehicles on the road. Secondly, I stated the obvious, that these things burn gas, diesel and oil. If the committee wanted to see old green trucks, they'd better put some gas money in the budget. Another wrinkle that just comes to mind is insurance for events.

I have no idea what their plans include. When I talk to this fellow again, what issues should I raise?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 11-02-14, 16:16
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Terry
I attended the opening of the new Armoury in Windsor a few years ago.
There were many mvs in attendance from area collectors and museums.
There was a huge parade from downtown to the new facility on the day that the old armoury was handed back to the City.
The evening before, many of the historic MVs were on display on the parade square inside, while a dinner and dance ensued. All the collectors were privy to invitation, wined and dined. There were basic facilities available for those who wished to bunk in the armoury overnight. The following day, prior to the parade, a EME truck loaded with POL cans went around fueling up all the vehicles. Wrecker services were also provided by EME along the parade route, just in case. I bet there were at least 30 vehicles in attendance including several UCs, halftracks and a couple tanks as well as the usual softskins.
As for the parade route, it was several kilometers from the old armoury to the new one, quite an opportunity for collectors to really exercise their toys.
It was a first class operation.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 11-02-14, 22:33

Default RCEME 75th

The main event will take place in Val Cartier, the school is also planning on having a event but no plans as yet, budget will be the big thing and we are a ways off , I was at the school for lunch with the RSM and this was part of our conversation, I will try to keep you all updated as things develop, I hope it becomes more than 1994,
Old 25-02-14, 18:46

Default RCEME 70th

Hey guys,

My father was a RCEME sqn cmdr. He was at 24 tch sqn in Sherbrooke when it closed down on him in 69 or so.

He had found memories of his training in BC , the officer trades school' s location at the time.What was that base called again , Chilliwack .

Anyway, i am in Saint-Georges, about 100 KM south of Valcartier and i have 2 WW2 trucks and a 50's vintage at present available for demonstration / parades free of charge.I will pay for my own fuel/oil / insurance / lodging/ rations thank-you .

See what i have in my signature block. Sorry guys for working for free . I owe it to my deceased father. He would of been thrilled.

Robert
94 LSVW
Old 25-02-14, 19:35
carrier mech

Free is fine, but it is always nice when an organization shows it's appreciation at the time and effort required to display. I have been to displays over the years where the vehicles were really appreciated, and others where it almost seemed like a bother that we were there. Some events wanted the vehicles front and center, and used them as part of the event, while others had the vehicles way in the background.

Since the RCEME has always been in the business of maintaining the vehicles and other equipment (as well as heavily involved in the procurement and life cycles) their focus will likely be good.
Old 26-02-14, 02:33
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
Terry, do you have information on the proposed dates. At the start of May, 2014 is the annual Tulip Festival in Ottawa.

>>>>>>

Keep them rolling.......

Cheers!
Stuart
I haven't heard anything more. But I did send Bob Bergeron a work email with the name and email of the fellow who contacted me. MLU'er Frank v R might know more.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!