MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 17-07-06, 04:11

Default Progress at last......

Finally got the rear axle underneath the frame......

Thanks to the able assistance of muscle boy Rob Clarke and the spare wheeels from the Caldwells......

Now for the love of God I can't find the box full of U bolts nuts..... I know I bought 16 new nuts.... plus I dismentaled at least four axles and saved the bolts...... now that is 64 old bolts plus the new ones..... couldn't find one to save my sorry ass.......

Well it is off to Malrmberg tomorrow for new nuts..... of course I will find all the nuts the day after.......

At least the rear end is now standing under its own weigth...... with the overhead crane it just fell in place.......

Now dressing up the rear fair lead's assembly but now can't lift it until Rob pays me another visit....... heavy sucker that thing.

See attached photo from Rob.
Attached Thumbnails
100_1295resized.jpg  
Canada
Old 17-07-06, 06:20

Very nice
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 19-07-06, 04:29

Default Got new nuts....

Well I went out and purchased 16 brand shinning new U-bolt nuts and took the bag to the barn......

....stood there shacking the bag of new nuts expecting the 64 old ones to suddenly fall from the rafters.... no such luck!!!

Guess I will ahev to keep the new set after all.

If you look at the frame..... can you picture me sitting under the rear paret of the frame installing a small part of the rear winch fairleads...... of course I had covered the end of the frame with a 3 x4 feet sheet of 3/4 plywood as a work area......

.... now I crawled in under the frame late Sunday afternoon while working alone..... after some 20 minutes of hammering on the underside of the frame.... my stupid back went off in a spasm....
Rob had long since gone home the wife had gone to town and I just could not move to get out...... I sat there for about 30 minutes flat ass on the cement floor waiting for my back to relax...... finally rolled veeerrryyy carefully on my side... then my stomach and crawled out backward....... was fine once I got up.

I will wait for Rob to be around.... to finish the job.

Getting old sucks!!!!

Bob C.
Canada
Old 19-07-06, 07:54
Phil

Hey there Bob!

So what type of chev gun tractor is it? I have one my self that is to get a Aust No.9 body put on to it. The chassie is the same as they were shipped out here and then got local mfg body work fitted to them.

Anyway nice job and watch that back of yours!

Phil...
Milt Land Rovers
Inc:- 58 "gun buggy", 60 FFW, 70 FFW, 71 10 seater Wgn, 69 GS.
M3 Stuart Light Tank "hybrid"
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Mk1 Ferret scout car (waiting restoration)
Various trailers
Inc:- K38, "Ben Hur" 1 ton, 200 Gal "Humber" water tank Tlr, Aust jeep, Landrover recovery.
Milt Radios
etc etc...
Old 20-07-06, 03:40

Default No CGT......

Hi Phil

Much to my chagrine my C15a cab 11 is a local rural mechanics conversion...... best I can estimate is they had access to a gun tractor or C60 w/w and transplanted the various parts including a two speed T-case. We can see telltale evidence of rear corner gussets that have been removed and re-assembled with large bolts instead of rivets. Very well done and they copied the winch truck installation fairly accurately except for the front fairleads which they mounted centerd on the front bumber.....looked good but made it useless unless you wanted to slice the exhaust pipe and half the oil pan.

I intend to reinstall the front fairlead in its proper off center location..... although I intend to install a cable on the winch I doubt if I will ever use it for a front pull..... will also need to repro some pig tails rope guide for the side of the frame, all in good time.

Happy to say I got the U-bolts installed with new nuts tonite with Rob's assistance...... next is to re-assemble the front axle....big issue here is that my original axle had a replacement late model circa 43-45 inner yoke on the short side and on the long side was the original Rzeppa axle.... been trying to find a "good" short inner axle for a while to match the other early model. Did find one as a result of CC5 but the inner components were rusted solid..... did free up the parts but the intricate complex machined surfaces and large balls are badly pitted and would probably heat up badly in actual running conditions. But I have now learned how to identify the early axles by examining the end of the axle after removing the casr iron hub cap. I still have two axles to take apart for possible donoar inner guts..... I have not givenup yet. Worst comne to worst I will install two matching late model inner axles and get on with it...... otherwise I will be too old to drive the darn thing by the time I get finished.

Anybody has wisdom to share on the early cab 11 inner axles????

Bob C.

Bob C.
Canada
Old 20-07-06, 04:33
Phil

Hi Bob!

OK.... well i should of pick up that ir was not a gun tractor chassie but did not pay that much attention. I can't help you out with type 11 cab things... have not seen one in the flesh or should I say in the tin...

It ain't all that rare to see convertions like that down here either.

Good luck with it!

Phil...
Milt Land Rovers
Inc:- 58 "gun buggy", 60 FFW, 70 FFW, 71 10 seater Wgn, 69 GS.
M3 Stuart Light Tank "hybrid"
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Mk1 Ferret scout car (waiting restoration)
Various trailers
Inc:- K38, "Ben Hur" 1 ton, 200 Gal "Humber" water tank Tlr, Aust jeep, Landrover recovery.
Milt Radios
etc etc...
Old 21-07-06, 01:34

This fine photo of a winch mount prompts me to ask for some advice. Please remember that you are speaking to an absolute novice.
My truck is a C15, Cab 12. There is no evidence that it ever had a winch.
A kindhearted local lumberman donated his former log skidder as a parts vehicle. My guess is that it began life as a C60.

Question: As it has a winch, is it ethical to move the winch to my truck, basically just because I have it?

Question: At each end of the winch/axle there would have been two mount blocks. The photo on this thread shows them. I don't have them (leading me to believe that the winch may not have begun its career on this log skidder either) Does anyone in Ontario have a set that they would sell. Judging by the weight of the rest of the winch, they don't look like something that I would want to pay to have mailed to me.

Warning: I recently had a letter from the township bylaw officer. Events are still unfolding, but I think it likely that he will order me to dispose of the log skidder, on the basis that it is garbage that I am not allowed to harbour on my property (it is in the bush, not visible from the road, but apparently just knowing it is there is causing someone to lose sleep) The forces of conformity are strong here in Springwater Township, and the guy up the road with about 2/3 of a C8 (I think) is likely to be in trouble soon too. If there is anything anyone needs from this, better tell me soon. It has been very severely altered, but the flathead is not stuck and the donor said that it ran the last time it ran. Running gear all seems present, but limited sheet metal.
Old 21-07-06, 15:54

Default Where are you.....

Hi Gary

Where the heck is Springwater county.......???

If you are near Ottawa you can store your stuff on my farm..... my neighbours are more understanding..... luck would be that you are probably in the East Coast...... do not despair we have other MLU nuts outthere also that may be able to help you.

Yes the parts are very heavy and shipping can be a problem but them we have guys that travel between here and there and can pick up and drop off for you.

At all cost we must save what is still left.

As to you "novice" concerns..... we really are all novices and the MLU forum is ideal for ones learning...... great bunch of guys who will share knowledge gladly........ it saves a lot of busted knuckles.

As to transplanting a winch from one truck to another .... remember it is your truck....... just don't pass it off as an original later that's all. Also remember that all Chev trucks had the winch mounting cross member installed at the factory.

If I were you I would try to talk to my local elected councillor as well as the by law idiot that sent you notification and try to explain the historical significance of the truck and of your plans to research it's make up and return to a running model. Have the councillor look at the MLU site and see what else is being done elsewhere in this country to preserve Canadian history.

Don't be shy...fire you questions....... you might want to look up Alex "Mr. Manual" Blair for very essential shop manuals...

Hang in there.

Bob C.
Still a novice learning....
Canada
Old 21-07-06, 16:26
pkitson

Hello Bob,
Judging by the crowded condition of your work area, its nice to know that I am not the only contortionist in this hobby. I too suffer from CRS ( Can't Remember Sh## ) when it comes time to retrieve parts that were taken off 3 years ago. Nice work, looking good.
Perry
Old 21-07-06, 17:04

Default CRS......hummmm

Hi Perry

Must remember to ask my doctor for pills that might combat CRS....sounds like a highly communicable desease......

Rob and I take turns having attacks......

Bob C.
Canada
Old 23-07-06, 02:46
Rust be gone!

Default u bolts

Bob

What a great job so far, are you in need of the spring bolts?
I had some made up a few years back and have some extras.

Rob Groves
Old 24-07-06, 01:08

Default Which spring bolts????

Hi Rob

Are you talking the U bolts....?????

what I had misplaced were the nuts to the U bolts..... from the many trucks I took apart I managed to salvage a full set of U-bolts
..... now if I was going to drive the C15a in a commercial situation I owuld have changed the Ubolts.... according to those int he know once they have been used and tensioned they should be replaced. I did have the springs redone with some leaves replaced but decided to trust the old U bolts.

Thanks for offering....

Bob C.
Canada
Old 24-07-06, 01:40

Gary, I have one of the winch bearings for the frame. I probably have the other one also but who knows where it is. The reason I know where the one is, it is holding down the tarp over my roto tiller.
Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 25-07-06, 03:08

Default Love a man with a system......

HI Barry

At least you know where it is... had an attack of CRS this morning could not find my big 1/2 inch electric drill.... darn near gone to the store ot by another one when I found it.....

Check out the before and after pictures...finally got the rear fairleads back in place.....
Attached Thumbnails
im001806enlargresized06.jpg  
Canada
Old 25-07-06, 03:21

Default ...and the after.....

....cleaned up all the old grease... new fittings.... new grade 8 bolts.......

The whole assembly once all the rollers are on is very heavy and I used an overhead crane to position in place. Had to use the friendly persuader... the hammer... paint chips will be touched up later.....

Enjoy...
Attached Thumbnails
im003436enlargresized011.jpg  
Canada
Old 01-08-06, 20:43

Bob: Thanks for the encouraging response. Springwater is between Barrie and Penetang, so can't take advantage of your offer. Will let you know what happens. Keep the nice photos coming - much more interesting and informative than the manual.

Barry: Please contact me if the other winch bearing comes to the surface: french@bellnet.ca
Old 03-08-06, 03:39

Default In your backyard....

Hi Gary

You have to contact the Caldwell brothers in Chatsworth just South of Owen Sounds.....and you must plan to attend next June's CC 6 at their place...... they are on the Forum.....

Bob C.
Canada
Old 03-08-06, 04:31
RIP

I will be bringing about 300+ 8x10 photos of CMPs and Carriers in manufacture to BBB1 on Aug 12. These are from Ford Canada.
Old 03-08-06, 05:19

Default Just to be sure....

....Ooooh goodee......filtee pictures!!!!

They better be numbered and tied with aircraft steel cable.....
...gets windy in Hammond....

Will have spare reading glasses for those who need them!!!

BooBee
Canada