MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 04-08-04, 08:05
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Shock absorbers

I just took off all the shock absorbers from the C8A today - all the links are missing, but some of the link ends were still attached to the frame and arms. Figured the shocks were going to come off anyway, and it was easier to knock out the old, broken link ball joints on the bench.
Two of the shocks are seized - one, left rear, somehow had had one of the end caps removed (why do people do these things?) and the piston was full of dirt and rusted in. The right rear doesn't move with normal effort.
The fronts are better, one seems to be OK, the other moves, but feels dry. Looks like a couple of the link holes on the arms have been buggered, too, but could be honed out.
Question is, while the MB-C2 manual makes servicing of these units fairly straightforward (if you have the special tools),
who bothers to overhaul them, or is it better to replace them outright by scaring up some used but reasonably servicable units?

I've found at least one place in the US that offers rebuilt Delco 2000 (with core - but mine are NG by their criteria), for $155 US (!)
Old 10-08-04, 16:40

Default Shocking news......

Hi Mark

Shocke wise....... you are probably better find a good used set ........make sure it is complete.....clean it up on the outside and make sure there is fluid in the chambers and free to move.

At least it will look complete. Personnaly I have my doubts if these shocks were that effective in the first place. In fact when you consider the stiffness of the spring packs... the amount of natural friction between the spring leaves you could probably drive your C8 with and w/o shocks and would notice very little difference.

I can stand on the bumper of my Ford p/u....yeck dirty word... and bounce the suspension up and down..... I could not drive my pickup truck without shocks.... on the other hand try bouncing your C8 or a C15 for that matter.

On your C8 I suspect your front shocks are probably smaller than the rear ones..... I ran into the same problem with my C15 cab 11 has smaller shocks in front than the regular Cab 13......... than by coincidence while looking at a part manual for a Dodge 1/2 ton...... D15 I believe I noticed that they had the small shocks also. Goes to prove that early in the war the trucks were designed/built with whatever was easily available off the shelves.

Unless you plan to run slalom with your C8 I do not beleive that having "working" shocks is a critical element.

As a point of interest I have a Dodge Power Wagon...1956 ...4x4 of course...... the rear shocks were optional...... apparently there is little difference in the ride because it has similar multileaves spring packs that tend to absorb and reduce the bouncing motion. One has to remember that these trucks were not meant to be driven at 120kph on curved off ramps of major highways......

Hang in there...

Bob C.
Canada
Old 10-08-04, 17:37

Default Shocks do have effect if?

I have check the shocks on my HUP and C60S to see if they had fluid and if they required similar force to move them up and down. When one of the links on my HUP broke, I noticed the difference. Broke one of the front link welds and it changed how the truck felt both steering and bumps. I suspect that if they are missing in pairs there will be little noticed.

I also suspect that the shocks have more effect with a load in the truck then when the truck is empty.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 11-08-04, 08:23
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Thanks for the comments - I've been examining the things and fiddling around with them a bit. Got the one with the missing cap moving enough to get the fixing bolt clear, put some oil in another (Gunk hydraulic jack oil specifically indicated for use in refillable shock absorbers, so I guess that's as good as anything).
Simply replacing them with functioning used ones is likely the best course, given the costs of refurbishment - at least one if not two I have wouldn't be acceptabe cores at Apple Hydraulics in N.Y. - and the cost is prohibitive.
As for the usefulness of them - from driving around in heavy leaf-sprung jobs for so long, I know the dampers can seem a bit superfluous, but they're there for a reason, so I would want them functional - got to have them for the looks if nothing else. Knee-action shocks are one of the items that give CMPs their character, to my mind.

Got to get the frame mess sorted, one broken spring leaf, brake system renewal, before I really need to deal with the shocks.
Old 11-08-04, 19:39

Default To have or not tohave shocks....

My driving experience in CMP is limited to a few rides with Phil in New Hampshire and driving a water truck cab 12 in Newbridge Ontario
..... and this is not a comment on Phil's driving ability...LOL ....

...BUT something to holds on is more important than having shocks at least for the passenger.... now I know why they have that bid D handle on the floor in Cab 13....... Of course Phil being slightly sadistic had his D handle removed thats why he enjoys give newcomers rides!!!!!!!!!

..... can hardly wait to have mine bouncing around.

Bob C
Canada
Old 11-08-04, 22:21
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Lightbulb Getting a handle on things

Oh right, I have to add that driver's mate's grab handle to my list of missing bits and pieces to find - the hole is there, no handle.
Old 11-08-04, 22:22
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: To have or not tohave shocks....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob C.
My driving experience in CMP is limited to a few rides with Phil in New Hampshire and driving a water truck cab 12 in Newbridge Ontario
..... and this is not a comment on Phil's driving ability...LOL ....

...BUT something to holds on is more important than having shocks at least for the passenger.... now I know why they have that bid D handle on the floor in Cab 13....... Of course Phil being slightly sadistic had his D handle removed thats why he enjoys give newcomers rides!!!!!!!!!

..... can hardly wait to have mine bouncing around.

Bob C
Reminds me of the time I gave a friend a ride in the Melbourne suburbs in my F60L. She was well, let's just say an ample person and the first speed bump in the road had her clutching her bosom in pain!
And, by the way the shock absorbers were functional at the time.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 12-08-04, 02:47
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Indeed, with my Suzuki SJ410 and then Land Rovers, I always used to warn first-time female passengers they might want to wear their sports bra. (Not to mention the clapped out rear shocks and springs on my J**p Cherokee.)

What's more I am about to swap off some posh Rocky Mountain parabolic springs and Old Man Emu shocks on my Series 3 109 Land Rover for the stock springs and military shocks. Want to be as original as possible, after all, which is why I am concerned to get the shocks sorted on the HUP. The staff car,after all, was intended to give the brass a softer rider with those longer springs. I'll have to check the parts book, but I think the shocks specced-out the same.
Old 13-08-04, 21:18

Default Here is the handle that Bob is talking about.

If you are going to go chasing jeeps off road with CMPs the co-driver and passengers need something to hold onto. This is the handle between the legs of the passengers seat in my C60. I have one for the HUP but it is not in the truck at the moment.
Attached Images

`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 13-08-04, 22:07
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Getting a handle on things

Quote:
Originally posted by cmperry4
I have to add that driver's mate's grab handle to my list of missing bits and pieces to find
I bought a NOS one from Brian Asbury last year.

H.