MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 03-12-14, 00:46
Dave Good

Default F15A Followed me home

I just dived into the world of CMP's and the learning process begins. I was doing the usual internet exploring when I came across and ad for this F15A and made the deal for it. The main reason was it had the box on it as the few I have seen they are usually removed.When I called about it he said that there was another part of a military truck that goes with the deal and when I got there and found out it was the front end of a M3 US Scout car Anyhow I went to get it on Sunday which turned out to be the coldest day we have had lately at -29 but got it home ok
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4027.jpg   IMG_4029.jpg   IMG_4039.jpg   IMG_4032.jpg  
Old 03-12-14, 00:48
Dave Good

A couple pictures of the scout car. Interesting is it has a Hercules Diesel engine in it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4071.jpg   IMG_4070.jpg  
Old 03-12-14, 00:50
Dave Good

Has the number of 64-733 on the door, Mean anything ??
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4040.jpg  
Old 03-12-14, 08:09
MLU Administrator

Great find! I am always amazed by the condition of old trucks in Canada. Looks like the cold is good to preserve what could well be it's first coat of paint.

H.
Old 03-12-14, 10:10

Default Ford 15wt

Very nice find, looks a tad chilly on the prairie ! Are the data plates still on the drivers door ? Keep the pics coming.
K Armitage
Old 03-12-14, 10:42
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Exclamation Snow

-29'?
OMFG I don't know how you do it.
I struggle getting out of bed when the temp drops below 20c
Cheers
H
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 03-12-14, 12:51
Shane Rayner

Hey mate.

What a great find got any photos of the interior? Im with Howard, its a known fact that Australians drop dead at -1 that's why we keep our politicians in the ACT where its bloody cold but the bastards seem to come back to life.
Old 03-12-14, 13:35
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dave View Post
A couple pictures of the scout car. Interesting is it has a Hercules Diesel engine in it.
Very interesting!

As far as I know this was designated the M3A1E5, of which 200 were built with the Hercules DJXD diesel engine. These were reconverted to the regular Hercules petrol engine in 1942.
Another diesel-powered variant was the M3A1E1 which was fitted with the Buda Lanova 6DT-317 diesel engine. Of this version some 3,340 examples were delivered to the Soviet Union under Lend-Lease.

Now, what to do with this by-catch?
1) A guy in the US was looking for a DJXD a few years back, see the G503 forum: http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php...01262&p=581380. I am a member of the G503 forum so I could get you in contact with him.
2) If nothing else, with that art-deco lettering the engine block would make a great coffee table

H.
Old 04-12-14, 03:27

Default Great find

Dave,

Congratulations. A great find. Glad that the mosquitoes didn't bother you.

Peter
Old 04-12-14, 04:03
carrier mech

This time of the year it is not the mosquito of course, but those dratted snow snakes. Not venemous or anything, but they scare the crap out of you when they come popping out of the fresh snow.

Nice truck Dave. Just goes to show that there are still more out there.
Old 04-12-14, 06:07
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Armitage View Post
Very nice find, looks a tad chilly on the prairie ! Are the data plates still on the drivers door ? Keep the pics coming.
K Armitage

Sorry no plates, When I first looked at the truck and purchased it the drivers door was not on it and it wasn't till I got home and most of the snow had blown out of the box that I found the door in the bed but all the plates were missing
Old 04-12-14, 06:09
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Very interesting!

As far as I know this was designated the M3A1E5, of which 200 were built with the Hercules DJXD diesel engine. These were reconverted to the regular Hercules petrol engine in 1942.
Another diesel-powered variant was the M3A1E1 which was fitted with the Buda Lanova 6DT-317 diesel engine. Of this version some 3,340 examples were delivered to the Soviet Union under Lend-Lease.

Now, what to do with this by-catch?
1) A guy in the US was looking for a DJXD a few years back, see the G503 forum: http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php...01262&p=581380. I am a member of the G503 forum so I could get you in contact with him.
2) If nothing else, with that art-deco lettering the engine block would make a great coffee table

H.

Thanks for the info, I posted some pictures on there and will see if anything become of it.
Old 04-12-14, 06:12
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Hey mate.

What a great find got any photos of the interior? Im with Howard, its a known fact that Australians drop dead at -1 that's why we keep our politicians in the ACT where its bloody cold but the bastards seem to come back to life.
Here are a couple but there are alot of parts missing like the speedo cluster and the drivers seat ect
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4053.jpg   IMG_4054.jpg   IMG_4058.jpg  
Old 04-12-14, 07:29

Thumbs up F15

Dave
Congratulations we finally have a Ford in the family, looks reasonably complete. Don't see a dog house and just need one seat. The door numbers were late war, 2 numbers a dash than a 3 digit. The first 2 indicates type of vehicle, I remember the FAT had a 87 prefix than a 3 digit number. There was discussion on this years ago, should be information on this forum.
Walde
Old 21-11-15, 03:56
Dave Good

Well its been a while since I started this thread and have a chance to give a couple updates. As I had picked up this unit almost a year ago I had a good week as I have acquired 3 more units this week or I guess it is 2 1/2. This first one I had picked up looked pretty good when I first purchased it but when I got it home and started to look at it closely I found that it was in pretty sad shape drive train wise as the trany case was cracked, rear end was pooched and I believe that the engine block is cracked . So this week Luck would have it I came across 3 units and just got the other 2 home tonight from a road trip . Now I should have enough parts between the bunch to make a good one

A few pictures of the 1/2 one I picked up last Sunday but at least it had the data/serial plates on the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0002.jpg   DSC_0010.jpg   DSC_0009.jpg  
Old 21-11-15, 04:00
Dave Good

Also can anyone tell me if these two items mounted inside on the back of the cab are original as there is a box and rod bolted to it ??
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0005.jpg  
Old 21-11-15, 04:05
Dave Good

A few pictures of today's recovery
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0008.jpg   DSC_0017.jpg   DSC_0019.jpg  
Old 21-11-15, 04:11
Dave Good

A few more, Its amazing that I hardly seen any CMPs in the last 10 years around here and in 11 short months that I now have 4

Also that all of these units are Fords and pretty much every Cmp that I have seen here in Alberta have been Fords and in BC they pretty much have been all Chevs, Any thought to this ???
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0026.jpg   DSC_0031.jpg   DSC_0035.jpg   DSC_0032.jpg  
Old 21-11-15, 04:20
carrier mech

I believe your 15cwt with the M-MACH-1 chassis would be from a KL welding lorry. If so, it likely has a fair pack of rear springs. The KLs were very heavy. The cab should also be in good shape. KLs did not put on a lot of unnecessary miles, and did not get abused like a regular cargo.

Re the Ford/Chevy thing, I find the same thing in this province. Other than specialized vehicles like the gin palace, pretty much all the CMPs I have ever found locally were Fords. Thank Goodness too, as that flathead is a work of art and engineering. The only chevs that have ever been in my yard were the ones where there was no Ford version available.
Old 21-11-15, 04:29
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I believe your 15cwt with the M-MACH-1 chassis would be from a KL welding lorry. If so, it likely has a fair pack of rear springs. The KLs were very heavy. The cab should also be in good shape. KLs did not put on a lot of unnecessary miles, and did not get abused like a regular cargo.
it has 12 leafs compared to the 1st one I got at 10 leafs

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 21-11-15 at 08:37. Reason: Formatting
Old 28-11-15, 01:08
Dave Good

Quote:
Also can anyone tell me if these two items mounted inside on the back of the cab are original as there is a box and rod bolted to it ??
Does anyone have a clue as to whether the 2 items on the inside back of the cab roof are possibly original ??
Old 28-11-15, 01:18
Dave Good

Well I was able to pick up another piece to the puzzle yesterday the hard to find spare tire/tool box and the shopping list is getting smaller.

Just a general question to all of the cmp crowd that has more experience and knowledge than me but how many different variants of the toolbox/Spare tire holder were made as looking through various pictures I have seen some that are welded together, some that has a bit of a cutout on each side where the gas filler neck is and the one I picked up looks for the most part bolted together ??
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0001.jpg   DSC_0002.jpg   DSC_0005.jpg  
Old 28-11-15, 12:14

Default KL Welder

Quote:
Does anyone have a clue as to whether the 2 items on the inside back of the cab roof are possibly original ??
Great find , The box on the cab wall, behind the driver ,on you KL, looks to have the same bolt pattern as on my cab. First time I have seen a pic of this box. My cab wall did not have holes for the bar, pics can be seen under KL restoration in this forum.
Regards Kirk
Old 29-11-15, 20:15
Dave Good

Quote:
Great find , The box on the cab wall, behind the driver ,on you KL, looks to have the same bolt pattern as on my cab. First time I have seen a pic of this box. My cab wall did not have holes for the bar, pics can be seen under KL restoration in this forum.
Regards Kirk
Thanks for the info, I looked up you thread and how is your project coming along ??
Old 29-11-15, 20:34
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Just a general question to all of the cmp crowd that has more experience and knowledge than me but how many different variants of the toolbox/Spare tire holder were made as looking through various pictures I have seen some that are welded together, some that has a bit of a cutout on each side where the gas filler neck is and the one I picked up looks for the most part bolted together ??
Nice find!

I think the bolted variant was issued with the Completely Knocked Down (C.K.D.) 15-cwt bodies 2H1 and 2J1, because to me it makes sense to have a tool box which can be flat-packed alongside a flat-packed cargo box.

The ones with the cut-out were for the earlier 2A1, 2B1 (and early 2C1?) bodies to clear the short filler necks on the Cab 11 and 12.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CMP_15_Cwt_body_styles_CKD.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	77707
Old 29-11-15, 21:58

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I looked up you thread and how is your project coming along ??
Nothing done to the KL this year , other projects on the go . If you ever have that box off the cab ,measurements would be appreciated .
Regards. Kirk
Old 30-11-15, 05:32
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Nice find!

I think the bolted variant was issued with the Completely Knocked Down (C.K.D.) 15-cwt bodies 2H1 and 2J1, because to me it makes sense to have a tool box which can be flat-packed alongside a flat-packed cargo box.

The ones with the cut-out were for the earlier 2A1, 2B1 (and early 2C1?) bodies to clear the short filler necks on the Cab 11 and 12.

Attachment 77707

Thanks, Its kind of what I thought it would be but was not sure that it might have been a ford chev thing.
Old 30-11-15, 05:33
Dave Good

Quote:
Nothing done to the KL this year , other projects on the go . If you ever have that box off the cab ,measurements would be appreciated .
Regards. Kirk
Will do when I get a chance.
Old 18-12-15, 07:24
Dave Good

Well today was another great day in locating parts for the project, I got the 2 front bins that go under the front of the cargo box, also 2 spare tire clam shells on a mount which I believe came off a welding truck as it has 4 mounting tabs under it. also the Battery cover which looks NOS
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0002.jpg   DSC_0003.jpg   DSC_0006.jpg   DSC_0085.jpg  
Old 18-12-15, 11:34

Default F15a

Be in Fort Saskatchewan in July-August 2016 love to have a look and swap stories on my Morris C8 & Austin Champs. Be a bit warmer then for us Australian guys.