MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 25-06-10, 23:24

Default Taps and dies

Does anyone have a lead on where I can purchase taps and dies for my carrier, preferably in north america?I need to chase the threads for the long rods that go through the suspension, also the big pins that go through the wheels, the studs up front that the front bogie wheel adjusts on, etc. I can't find any sources locally.Thanks Derrick Eastmanl
Old 26-06-10, 00:14
Bluebell

Default Derrick

The suspension rods, are BSF, the axle threads are a special, so you would be best to take the axle, and nut to a machinist, to have him chase the thread(with a suitable thread chaser, or in the lathe) Nearly all the other threads in your carrier are BSF.( this includes your track adjuster bolts(3 each side))

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....

Last edited by Lynn Eades; 26-06-10 at 01:59.
Old 26-06-10, 02:01
Bluebell

Default Post incorrect

I went in and edited my previous post as the infomation, I posted was wrong.

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 26-06-10, 16:06

Default Tooling

McMaster-Carr have an unbelievable array of tooling and used to do mail order. Should be worth a look.
David
Old 26-06-10, 22:38

Default McMaster-Carr sales/shipping policy

I have tried to buy from McMaster-Carr and had my order for simple hardware (nothing green) refused because they wouldn't sell if they believed the parts will end up outside the US. I had asked them to ship to a US address. In my case the giveaway was that they saw that my credit card was issued by a Canadian bank.
It has been suggested that this might be overcome by sending payment by money order from within the US and asking the product to be sent to the US address. If there's nothing to indicate an eventual foreign destination, perhaps they'll ship?
Another method is to ask an American friend to order your supplies for shipment to him and then ask him to ship to you so McMaster only sees an "American" purchase.
They may have relaxed their policy, or you may be more lucky than I was. Either way, please let us know how you make out dealing with McMaster-Carr.
Old 27-06-10, 01:25

Sorry Grant, I can't report on any attempted dealings with McM-C. I only know of them through a fellow I used to work with up until I retired three years ago. I recall at the time that he was having some sort of trouble with them. That's why I said 'used to do mail order'.
Before posting my response to Derrick's question, I had a quick look at their site and saw they were still in business and that their catalogue went to over 3,000 pages. I assumed that being in that part of the world he would have no problem dealing with them.
I wonder what's wrong with them. It sounds like their management has been taken over by a bunch of educated, insular idiots who believe that anyone outside the borders of the good old US of A is a potential enemy and not worthy of any form of contact. I truly resent the inference that we are not good enough to deal with.
David
Old 27-06-10, 02:58

I agree that it looks like they sell decent stuff at a fair price. After my order was refused, I called looking for an explanation. The people I spoke with all seemed like decent individuals dealing with a policy they didn't understand or personally see the need for.
If the problem is at the corporate level it might be a case of they don't want to do Customs documentation for what looks like a relatively small sales volume, of course with that attitude the volume will never grow to be of value.
I sometimes wonder whether the problem isn't further upstream, usually after someone in their government (who should know better) blames Canada (as the nearest handy foreign target) for their latest problem, terrorists that they let in themselves, bank failures, mad cow disease, oil spills, health care, cold weather, the list goes on.
Another company, not McMaster, that deals in surplus MV parts has apparently gotten enough trouble from the government saying that if the part was ever used in any MV, then even if it also is an original application on a civilian car the part is subject to the controls on the export of military hardware. Apparently Delco distributors, generators and similar parts fall in this category.
The end result was that I couldn't give them my money in exchange for product. Everyone lost that day. I speak based on one experience and would be quite happy if someone were to tell me that the policy has been changed or if they've found a better workaround than the one I suggested.
Old 27-06-10, 05:08
Banned

Wow I wonder why they allow this USA bashing on this Forum

AIDAN
Old 27-06-10, 08:37
Bluebell

Default Aidan

Your reponse to whats been said, is exactly the problem. The USA treats the rest of the world with disregard. Even its staunchest allies.

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 27-06-10, 10:09
Banned

Default Lynn

Whatever you say Lynn. I'd rather be here in GODS Country than any place else, Ie "an Island".
Aidan
Old 27-06-10, 10:27
Bluebell

Default Aidan

Next time you need to stand up. It's gone over your head.

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 27-06-10, 10:30
Banned

Default Lynn

I'd rather be in a Trench and have the bullets go past my head. Be Cool!
Aidan
Old 27-06-10, 11:25

We all suffer from an attitude problem Aidan. Our own or somebody elses. Sometimes seeing yourself as others see you is not pleasant but don't make the mistake of dismissing their point of view out of hand.
I didn't set out to bash the US, just some of the turkeys within and we all have those.
By the way, I also believe that I live in God's country. Is there enough room for us both to be right?
Bottom line:- McM-C have stuff we would like to buy but they will not sell to us. That my friend is an insult.
David
Old 27-06-10, 14:51

I seem to have started another round of illogical "my country is better than yours". I hope everyone at least likes their own country, but the fact that your country (wherever it might be) is wonderful doesn't mean everyone else on the face of the earth lives in a shithole.

Please re-read my comments. I am perfectly happy with the individual Americans I was dealing with.

My problem is with poorly informed people in government (both legislative and administrative) who should know better, make poor desisions and use another nation as an unjustified scapegoat rather than looking internally to fix their problems. History is full of examples of this and it certainly isn't unique to the government of the USA. I just fail to undestand how 5/32 pop-rivets, a plastic funnel and some generic coil extension springs that resemble the springs in CMP seatbacks (and were actually made in Australia) can be vital to the security of the USA. Since I can't understand these govenment policies (and many others too) I also have difficulty respecting the same policies and as a result the people who create them in many countries, including my own. However, until I'm willing to put in the time, effort and money to get the policies changed I have to accept them even if I don't like the results.

Can we get back to the question of sources for taps and dies?

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 27-06-10 at 14:57.
Old 27-06-10, 15:17

Amen to that.
Old 27-06-10, 15:52
Banned

Default Grant

I think i said "GODS Country" I never said anything about who's country is better. Just don't go Bashing my or other Countrys problems look at your Country's self in the mirror , It's coming your way now Mc master only sells to US citizens I don't know why But thats thier policy, maybe they got burnt from people outside the US. who knows
" terrorists they let in themselves" I did re- read your post, didn't like that Grant.

Aidan
Old 27-06-10, 21:53
Bluebell

Default Aidan

Your attitude is a choice, and personally I think yours stinks. I choose not to be like you. For my part, the conversation has ended.

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 28-06-10, 01:16

Smile

Thanks for the input Lynn.I live up here in the middle of nowhere, north of anywhere, up the armpit of....well you get the idea.My carrier is very much a DIY project. It's been fun and a real challenge, My first vehicle restoration/rehabilitation.BUT, I need the proper tools for certain areas to make life easier.The closest machine shop to me is 108 Kilometers away, and I would'nt take my wheelbarrow to them let alone my precious carrier parts.They have a well deserved reputation for shoddy work.What exactly BSF thread are these long bolts that go through the springs? Like BSF 3/4 x 14 threads to the inch?There is a very nice lady at the local auto shop who really goes above and beyond to help, but I need to know exactly what to ask for. Ditto on the threads that are on the axle shfts for the wheels.I have a friend who lives in lexington , in Mass. But again I need to know exactly what to ask for.There are no gauges locally here that match that thread pitch and count. Any help on info would be appreciated. As for the other comments(ahem!!!!!)I have been to the states many times and met many good people. Since 911, I've been hassled, harassed, and treated like shit by more than a few border guards and customs officials, but thats politics, not life, and thats beaurocracy, best ignored.Out the gate, people are still people.Too bad we MLU ers are so spread out, we could have one hell of a meet and greet!!! Derrick Eastman
Old 28-06-10, 01:36

I'm glad we've returned to the original pont of the thread.
Threads, taps and dies.
I assume you've sought out tables of the diameters and threads per inch for the various threading standards. BSF, SAE fine and coarse, whitworth etc are all decribed on the net. Most of the standards are different enough that careful measurement will let you tell which set of threads your example fits into. I would be surprised if there were a metric thread on a carrier so that should narrow the field a bit. Normally for the larger threads like yours I actually count the number of threads in an inch rather than measuring one pitch and taking the inverse, it reduces the number of ways I can get it wrong. Measuring outside to outside on the male thread is usually close, but a bit smaller than the thread size. On Chev CMP trucks I don't recall meeting any bolts that had to be measured to 1/32 inch, I think 1/16 is the smallest step between sizes. Anything is possible but unless there is a special need I think they would have stayed with similar increments as "standard" practice on carriers. Be cautious on how much of what I said above you take as gospel I don't actually have a carrier for experience.
Old 28-06-10, 04:50
Bluebell

Default Derrick

If you google "thread data charts", Go to the one that says just "thread data charts". There is a list that says British fine (BSF) in there under the .750"Dia. (3/4") it says there are 12 tpi (teeth per inch) That is the thread on your spring rods.
Like I say, your axles are a special thread. Measure the dia of the thread, and count the threads or check with a gauge. Then hunt around the various thread charts, until you find what it is. It is a very fine thread for the dia. (it may be something like a "cycle" thread.
As far as basics go the steel in your carrier is in metric sizes, but none of the threads are.
All the other threads are BSF(British) except for the ones in the Ford componentary(engine gear box diff)which are almost all UNF(American)

So all the countersunk screws(flat or round head) in the hull etc are BSF.,the majority of which are 5/16. BSF.,3/8 BSF.,and the screws in the tow eyes, are 7/16 BSF.
All the wheel bearings are metric (6000 series) except the fan extention which are imperial sized. I cannot remember what the one is, at the bottom of the steering column(I think imperial) If I recall correctly the flat Tecalamite grease nipples are also BSF.
As far as you axles go, I would take all the damaged axles, and nuts with me, when visiting your friend, because I think you will be hard pressed to find a set of dies, and a die nut or a tap to suit. They will need to be repaired on a lathe, even better if your friend has a suitable thread chaser.
I Hope that helps, and best of luck with your project.
Maybe you can let us know how you've got on with the various issues you have to work through.

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 28-06-10, 23:13
Banned

LOL Little Boy don't get mud on your face lynn , I heard stories about you . I know a bigot when i see one.
AIDAN in the USA!
Old 28-06-10, 23:47
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
LOL Little Boy don't get mud on your face lynn , I heard stories about you . I know a bigot when i see one.
AIDAN in the USA!
Big Mike?? Is that you?
Old 29-06-10, 01:05
Banned

BIG Who?

Aidan
Old 29-06-10, 05:01

Default behave

Could we all please exercise a little restraint and stick with the core of this thread which is both informative and helpful - ie carrier thread forms.

Cheers

Phill
Daimler Ferret Mk 2
Land Rover S2A Field Workshop
Land Rover S3 FItted For Radio x2
Land Rover Perentie GS (SASR)
International No 1 Mk 3 2.5 Ton 4x4
International No 1 Mk 4 2.5 Ton 4x4
Old 29-06-10, 07:49
Steve

I regularly see used BSF taps and dies at my local fleamarket, for quite reasonable prices. They are used, of course, but for thread chasing and low-frequency use they are just fine. I have a set of UNC and UNF ones I acquired this way. I also see them at car swap meets where there is usually a bigger selection too.

Must say I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments about McMaster-Carr and their rather insular attitude.

Steve.
Old 29-06-10, 16:37

Default The law

I don't think the issue of not selling outside the USA is anything more than the application of some law, probably a necessary law, that they are complying with. A small sale is simply not cost effective with the paperwork involved. Good business sense keeps them in business.
I run into it all the time when fixing old guns. Nice people to deal with but they don't want some law enforcement types ruining their day(years).
Big general condemnations do nothing for our relationship and add nothing to this forum.