MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 04-11-13, 05:23

Default Renault FT-17, M1917 six ton tank

Ok all you Tank hunters, time to start searching the memory banks and scrapbooks and old war stories...we had just about 240 of these M1917 Six ton tanks here in Canada in the 1940's, there must be a few rusting hulks, parts or pieces left kicking around the farms, scrapyards and backyards of this huge country, and I need your help finding them! Somehow I need to add another tank to the pile of projects and I have been bitten by the WW1 bug and I am on a worldwide hunt for one of these amazing little beasts, or parts, or reproduction parts, or drawings, or piles of 97 year old scrap metal...Anything helps! So please my fellow collectors and tank hunters around the globe try to recall the M1917 tank behind the barn, buried under the brambles and scrub of our great country and beyond! As always every lead helps and is greatly appreciated! And yes Hayes Otoupalik was my first call!

Thank You!
John

Last edited by jdmcm; 17-01-14 at 09:39.
Old 17-01-14, 09:42

Oh and there just might be a small reward in it!! Yes I know...this green disease is in it's final stages...complete insanity!
Old 17-01-14, 12:49
Bluebell

John, Best of luck with your hunt! I was very awed by footage of a line of these tanks leaping across a road, (France?) and tearing through the bank on the other side.
I cannot believe the crew weren't all broken. A classic looking machine!
There was some posts on the forum about building a replica, or at least making up parts for one. Go for it!!!

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 18-01-14, 06:11
Anthony Sewards

There was/is a reproduction for sale in POLAND. Polish version with the exhaust on the other side.

Anthony
Old 18-01-14, 08:56
Lionel G. Evans

Default You mean something like in this Video?

Hello John,

I found a couple of period films that have been posted up on YouTube. The best one is this one as it has more close-ups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfdHAqIIYts

Here is a youtube link to some of the tanks that were found in a scrapyard in Afgahanistan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP9huCf-iZM

Kind Regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Old 18-01-14, 14:26
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcm View Post
Ok all you Tank hunters, time to start searching the memory banks and scrapbooks and old war stories...we had just about 240 of these M1917 Six ton tanks here in Canada in the 1940's, there must be a few rusting hulks, parts or pieces left kicking around the farms, scrapyards and backyards of this huge country, and I need your help finding them! Somehow I need to add another tank to the pile of projects and I have been bitten by the WW1 bug and I am on a worldwide hunt for one of these amazing little beasts, or parts, or reproduction parts, or drawings, or piles of 97 year old scrap metal...Anything helps! So please my fellow collectors and tank hunters around the globe try to recall the M1917 tank behind the barn, buried under the brambles and scrub of our great country and beyond! As always every lead helps and is greatly appreciated! And yes Hayes Otoupalik was my first call!

Thank You!
John
There were a number of these ex-Borden Renaults kicking around Ontario. I've seen at least two but that dates back to the 1980's. At least one went to a museum in the USA. Many did go to civilian users even during the war. There was a shortage of construction equipment and these were sold and converted into bulldozers (neither of the two I saw had turrets for this reason). Another 'Canadian' feature is that there are rectangular holes cut out of the track so they would have some traction in the snow.

I haven't heard even a rumor of any still being out there but at least I can confirm they were, so who knows?
Old 18-01-14, 15:13
carrier mech

One of the early OMVA CMP magazines has the story behind the recovery and shipment of three of them from Ontario to the US (I think it was Montana) back in the 80s IIRC. Two were from farmyards, and one was found languishing on the range in Borden. Seems to me it was Hayes Optoupalik who did the project.

http://www.hayesotoupalik.com/
Old 18-01-14, 16:53

Hi,

Brent Mullins in College Station, Texas has an unrestored one that is missing some items....

http://mullinsjeepparts.com/gallery/...hicles/page/2/

Thanks, David
Old 18-01-14, 19:59
Terry Warner

Default My posting never got posted

I had a reply that would have been #2. There is a Service Pubs book on the prewar tanks. I suggest the author would have the definitive sources. Secondly, the War Museum has a rebuilt Ford tank that passed through the gentle hands of MLU'er Don Dingwall at DEW Engineering.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 19-01-14, 04:10

I appreciate the replies, as usual I am about 30 years behind where I should be on my search but why let reality and common sense start getting in my way now! I have started conversing with Hayes and he has been most helpful, I have also reached out to Don and an awaiting a reply. I am realistic in my hope to find some bits and pieces here and there and generally see what is under some of the rocks around Borden and surrounding areas. I hope through the forum to spark any memories recent or otherwise to help me on the hunt so all stories, photos, video and anecdotes are greatly appreciated!

John
Old 19-01-14, 19:10

Rob, you have a pretty good relationship with Al Mc. Any chance he might have any bits and pieces tucked away out there among the treasures? I figure it is guys like him and his father before him that saw the value in this type of equipment long before the rest of us. I have seen some of the things he has parted with and can only imagine what is hidden away. And on another note, did he end up getting rid of the M4A2 turret and both guns? Rumor has it that they went to Alberta.

Thanks
John
Old 20-01-14, 02:35
carrier mech

I am pretty positive there is nothing for the Renaults in Westbourne. Certainly no reason why there would be.

Turret and guns are paid for but not picked up yet. They will be heading West.
Old 20-01-14, 04:38

Thanks Rob, never hurts to ask!
Old 20-01-14, 06:16

I know that 40 or so of the tanks ended up with the Fort Gary Horse so I was thinking there might be a carcass or two out that way

http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.c...lt%20Tanks.htm
Old 20-01-14, 06:49
carrier mech

They went to the FGH in Camp Borden. Doubtful anyone would still use them, even for training, by the end of the war. Never heard of any making it to MB. FGH has a decent museum....contact Gord Crossley and see if he has any answers.
Old 20-01-14, 09:32

Right on Rob thanks! Hayes suggested putting some adds in Northern Ontario newspapers, so I might give that a shot, I threw one up on Milweb so hopefully that might spark some interest in Europe.

John
Old 20-01-14, 21:29
MLU Administrator

John,

Try digging through the listings of Renault FTs and Six Ton Tanks M1917 here:
http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panzers.html

HTH,
Hanno
Old 20-01-14, 21:45

A few months ago while at my local garage, the owner showed me a pair of front idler wheels that they had just made for a Renault tank. They are made of segments of wood, the garage is renowned for it wheelwright business and even does work on the Royal coaches. The wheels are for a well known collection locally who are restoring two.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 20-01-14, 22:02
MLU Administrator

Here's a little 1-on-1 on diving an FT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPkMn158Fwo

You could politely ask MLU froum member Gunner to bring back this FT when he's on his next business trip to Africa

H.
Old 06-02-14, 06:51

kind of makes you wonder what you would have to do to get a tank like that out of Africa? I am guessing much like Hayes discovered in the 1980's in Afghanistan that the average (is there such a thing?) tank collector couldn't afford the bribes required!
Old 17-02-14, 22:50
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default FT 17 in Bamako

Hi John:

The Col that ran the museum likely survived the coup last year as he would have been seen as not in the direct chain of command and wasn't really one of the President's inner circle.

Because they have two (the one I saw being reportedly the worst of them) he might be open to selling one to raise money for the museum. I can certainly ask through good friends over there if he is still around. Better yet would be to offer to restore one to working order for him in exchange for what's left afterwards.

I seriously considered shipping two BTR 152 home from Mali. There is a train that runs to Dakar Senegal twice a week so you can rail it to Dakar and ship from there. Container it and paint it bright blue so its ag machinery. Bribes would be needed to cross the border between Mali and Senegal and the train frequently "breaksdown" requiring more bribes by all aboard to get it running again. The rail company (Canadian) is getting a grip of those problems and they are less frequent than when I was there.

The other option is truck to the Cote d'Ivoire and ship from there. You can imagine after all my rambles in th3e third world nothing surprises or scares me much but trucks over there scare the hell out of me due to unreliability and unqualified drivers. There would be bigger bribes to cross that border but it is an option.

All up I was looking at $40K to ship two vehicles in container plus the cost of the vehicles which was very low as one was to be a gift to the CWM if we could have done the deal.

Good luck! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 17-02-14, 23:19
RIP

Years ago I came across the disposal files for these, at LAC. However, I no longer have the reference number.
Most of these were sold to industries involved in the war effort and which could not acquire Caterpillars or other movers. If you find the file it may be worth scouring some of those companies in case the 6-tonner is still in the back corner of their yard. I do remember that Sorel Shipbuilders was one of the buyers.
Old 18-02-14, 06:47

Thanks Mike

I would very much appreciate you looking into the possibility of doing some type of deal. I would be more than happy to entertain restoring one in trade or part trade for the other. It also seems like it may be the adventure of a lifetime and really isn't that what it's about? I mean recovering a vehicle like that from such an incredibly interesting place...the story alone is worth the effort, investment and risk!

Thanks
John
Old 18-02-14, 07:03
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default FT17 in Mali

OK John: I'll make a few enquiries to see what the political climate is like. Give me a bit of time as some of my contacts are not quick on returning emails,

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 26-02-14, 01:39

Thanks Mike!
Old 02-03-14, 15:13
Staghound

Does anyone know Brian Beveridge he was building one back in the nineties and lived in thE St. Louis area I have tried for years to contact him but to no