MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 26-06-12, 06:28

Default 105 & 106 Recoilless rifle cartridges. Any differences?

In my restoration of my 106 RCL carrier (Land Rover) I have been trying to acquire 6 of the cardboard cartridge storage tubes for the amunition racks. Unfortunately without success to date.

However I have recently found a source for some 105mm rcl tubes and am wondering what, if any, differences there is size of the rounds and associated storage tubes?

Anyone have experience of these two weapon platforms?
Old 26-06-12, 18:41
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianaa View Post
In my restoration of my 106 RCL carrier (Land Rover) I have been trying to acquire 6 of the cardboard cartridge storage tubes for the amunition racks. Unfortunately without success to date.

However I have recently found a source for some 105mm rcl tubes and am wondering what, if any, differences there is size of the rounds and associated storage tubes?

Anyone have experience of these two weapon platforms?
Diana..
Both are 105MM but 106MM designated up graded model to distinguish from 105MM recoiless rifle which was under powered..
If you are going to fire one be careful..Shit comes out both ends of those babys.and the 70 meter cone of the back blast will give away your position right away..So if you are going to fire one at the old man..make sure you hit him because the dust cloud and smoke will give away your firing hiding spot and he will catch you and spank you for being naughty..
Good luck with your project,.

The initial American M-18 57mm & M-20 75mm weapons were joined in the early 1950s by the M-27 105mm gun with these being regarded as the most effective anti-tank technology of the time. The M-27 105mm gun turned out to be both inaccurate and unreliable and therefore had to be redesigned. Its replacement, the M-40, was also a 105 calibre weapon but to distinguish it from its predecessor it was designated as being a 106mm weapon even though it wasn't! This designation did mean. however, that ammunition for the two guns did not get confused.

There is a very large amount of smoke created behind the gun where a cone shaped exclusion zone about 70m deep and 130m wide has to be enforced. On firing, the vehicle's position is almost certainly given away making it imperative that the shot was on target!
http://www.m201.com/02743/M40.htm
Old 26-06-12, 19:08

Yes, Alex, sums it up nicely.

The existence of the 106RCL may already have been given away by the 'tap tap tap' of the .50cal spotter rounds from the M8C hammering on the outside of the intended target ...... but by then it should be toooo late anyway!

Maybe that's why the Land Rover 106mmRCL carrier had stowage for only 6 rounds on the basis that, after each shot, you are less and less likely to get another! The Law of Diminishing Returns ...

Of course the development of the SPLINTEX round known commonly as 'beehive', gave the 106RCL a whole new dimension. Their deployment with Aust Infantry in South Vietnam was mainly for defence (there not being any enemy armour around those parts of SVN) so the Splintex and HEP rounds were the most commonly deployed.

The back blast is quite extraordinary, and develops an 'nth' of a second before the round leaves the barrel. I have one very lucky image taken of a 106mm shoot, with the back blast quite well developed, and nothing coming out of the muzzle. It was the last shoot of 5/7RAR's anti-armour platoon, before they gave the M40A2 (as it was by then) away.

I'm curious, Dianna: the source for the 105RCL round stowage tubes: not within Australia, I presume, but from OS? The 105mm M27 was not a weapon adopted by Australia.

Mike C
Old 27-06-12, 16:58

Dianna,

Try googling 'Alabama Family Day' for the U-Tube video showing a selection of weapons that Civvies in some parts of this country DO fire! It is quite amazing, especially to an Australian.

Nice of the Alaskans to send you the tubes: I've driven the haul road (Fairbanks to Prudoe Bay and return). Excellent scenery, fantastic trip. We intend heading back to visit Alaska again sometime, we enjoyed the trip so much.

Mike
Old 28-06-12, 02:20

Default Make your own..

Quote:
Thanks Alex and Mike

Yes I have been looking for the 106mm storage tubes for over a year now without success.

One evening when trying to get to sleep with the TV on (tinnitus, the sound of the box distracts from the constant buzz), I flicked onto a doco "Ice Road Truckers" based on the Alaska Ice Road from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay, one section of the road Atagun Pass has a avalanche zone and to my surprise they were using a 106mm to bring down the avalanches under controlled conditions.

So I contacted the Department of Transport and put the request. Very helpful people, but they told me that they had stopped using the 106 rcl because of problems with the shells and acquired a 105 rcl as a replacement. It has taken many months but they sent 4 of the tubes so long as I paid for the cost of FedEx.

Now my decision is what to send them as a thank you!

Last year I posted up a link to a video, of what can happen when Libyan rebels are using recoilless rifle on improvised vehicles and obviously without training. Re-posted here http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4c6_1314878894&p=1 Very impressive on what it can do to a vehicle.

(Wouldn't it be nice if Australia wasn't such a nanny state and citizens could fire these weapons platforms under controlled conditions.)

Diana
Dianna...
Quit pissing around with chasing smoke...make your own..They are only a friggin cardboard shipping tube..
Little stencilling..little OD green..little Green gun tape and I could roll you out an endless supply..Do it your self..Get the heavy duty card board shipping tubes here with caps and you are off..

http://www.uline.ca/Grp_74_heavyduty...ty-Kraft-Tubes

AND....Cheep like Borsht..!!

Heavy Duty Kraft Tubes

Extra protection for the safe mailing of valuable artwork, blueprints and documents.

40% thicker than regular kraft tubes.
Rigid tubes are 3 ply spiral wound.
Tube sizes are inside dimensions.
Plastic end caps fit tight - Protect your shipment.
Plastic end caps included.
Additional caps available.

HEAVY DUTY KRAFT TUBES
MODEL
NO. INSIDE
DIAM. USABLE
LENGTH THICK-
NESS TUBES/
CTN. LBS./
CTN. PRICE EACH (SOLD IN CARTON QUANTITIES) ADD TO
CART
50 100 250 500 1,000+
S-14048 3" 24" .125 25 30 $2.45 $2.38 $2.20 $2.13 $2.08 Add to Cart
S-14049 36" .125 25 34 2.55 2.39 2.23 2.14 2.06 Add to Cart
S-5574 60" .125 25 60 4.12 4.06 4.00 3.73 3.43 Add to Cart
S-7014 72" .125 15 52 6.12 6.01 5.89 5.51 5.05 Add to Cart
S-12116 4" 56" .125 25 73 5.14 4.98 4.80 4.49 4.11 Add to Cart
S-5575 60" .125 25 75 5.37 5.12 4.92 4.66 4.37 Add to Cart
S-11336 72" .125 15 48 7.54 6.85 6.56 6.41 6.23 Add to Cart
SHIPS VIA MOTOR FREIGHT
Old 28-06-12, 15:58

Quote:
Thanks Alex

There is the issue of genuine, replica and reproduction. Most of us like having genuine if at all possible and then if not we embark on the lesser options, in my case genuine 105 tube is a superior option to replicas, in spite of the cost.

Only today I have been promised a pair of original 106 tubes which makes up the required six for the racks. My thoughts are that my firend was waiting to see if I could acquire enough to make a set, a case of if you do most of the work I'll help you out!

What was the biggest worry was if the 105 cases were a larger diameter and woundn't fit in the rather tight racks. The crates have now arrived from Alaska and the tubes do slide in but are a little long preventing the retaining bar locking in place. The important thing is that the end caps now look correct and should match the 106 tubes (cross fingers) even if I have to shave down the length in the middle.

They even sent the fired shell casings!

Very happy now.
Diana
Dianna.
Original is always better but when not available ,any port in a storm..
Glad you got your goodies..Post lots of PIX..
A couple of you bashing rivets would put a little fire under some of our more timid procrastinating male members..
(father of two great daughters ,they were always told they could do anything they wanted or be anything they wanted to be...now both are self sporting and have made their mark and now I have three little grandsons to apprentice..)

Post some pix.
Good luck.