MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 15-01-04, 23:31

Default 3-ton G.S. lorry

Okay this is a long shot, but what the hell, I'll ask anyway. I'm trying to determine what type of 3-ton G.S. lorry would have been assigned to an Engineer unit in Sept. 1944. I know that there is a bunch of them, but what is the most likely? Best guesses are welcomed.
Thanks!
Old 16-01-04, 01:55

Default 3 Tons

Hi John; You are quite correct in guessing the types of 3 Tonners assigned to Engineer units would be many and varied. A SWAG would put at least some of the types as Derrick, Tipper,a couple of stores varieties,perhaps a later version of the Mach M(3 ton vs DiaT), some of the other RCOC/RCEME shop variants, depending on the unit perhaps a Signals Van or two, light wrecker, office van, and maybe a couple of RE 71/2 KW shop vans. ?????
Cheers, Bill
Old 16-01-04, 16:27

Bill,

LOL. Why am I not surprised that you manage to work Diamond T's into this.
FYI: I just went through the Regimental History and the War Diary of the 85 Cdn Bridge Coy. and you would have died and gone to heaven. Every page seemed to mention Diamond T's. Maybe that was because 9 of their 10 platoons used your favourite truck.
As far as the G.S. lorry, I'm trying to determine axp. how many sappers 3 of these could carry. 20? 25? 30 each?

John
Old 17-01-04, 03:24

Default Favourite Veh

Hi John; Have faith, I only did that as a point of comparison. I am equally fond of CMPs. The 3 Tonner (Ford/Chev) had a12' box and the TCV (Bedford QLT) had a 16' box equipped with seats for 29/30 troops. If the 3 Ton CMP was equipped with seats and with a 4' shorter box, it would be reasonable to assume that a figure of 20+/-, albeit crowded, would be close to the mark. Helpful?
Cheers, Bill