MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 15-04-03, 03:02

Default Joseph Harper

It is with great regret that I post note of the passing of Joseph Harper on April 12, 2003. He was a life long collector and researcher of Canadian militaria, compiling the histories of the insignia, as well as accumulating one of the best private collections of Canadian military badges in existence. Whenever I had a question about insignia provenance or authenticity, Joe would dig into his notes and provide authorities and explanations. He published several books and articles, the most recent being A Source of Pride, a history of the insignia of the CEF. Joe inspired me to the research and documentation of Canadian military insignia when I first started collecting 23 years ago. He was always eager to assist with identification of badges and descriptions of the lineage of Canadian military insignia. His research was shared with anyone who asked. Joe was the father of Stephen Harper, Alliance Party leader. A gentleman, a friend, a mentor, he will be sadly missed.
Old 05-05-03, 11:30
Vets_Dottir

Default Inspirational People

Hi BILL;

It's wonderful how people can inspire us isn't it? And it's sad when the person who "Inspired" passes on. Your appreciation of this man reminds me to look at the people in my life and notice the ways they've inspired me, and in the inspiring, changed me for the better (I think or simply just made for better moments.

I find that in a world full of people who cause frustration that those that inspire...make up for the frustrations and make us want to be here :-)

A story a story she says:

1989. Mom's sudden death...hence her funeral. My 6 year old daughter attended the funeral with all of us. I was assured it would be a closed casket affair so that I'd feel more comfortable about my daughter coming. We get there. Inside. Casket is open. My 6 year old Wonder see's "Granny". I was so worried about how she might be affected so I casually asked her;

"Elys... Granny has passed away and her spirit has left her body. If her spirit has left her body, WHERE do you think her spirit is?"

She looked serious and thought a few moments then replied;

"Her Spirit is in peoples minds when they think about her"

6 YEARS OLD! Thats my kid!!! Pretty

-->this may not be an MLU type posting ... but I was "inspired" to add this little story. It's about people passing on but leaving themselves in our minds and lives. Inspirational :-)

Carman