MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 04-04-03, 15:21
Vets_Dottir

Question IRAQ Air Pollution

Hi Everybody

Every day I see the news of the bombings over in Iraq, and every day I wonder what exactly it is that people in that area are breathing in right now (from the bombing/shooting/fires) and also, does anyone know what sorts of long term health effects this pollution can have on people?

I'm not referring to any bio-chemical weapons stuff and I certainly wish for that to never be an issue.

Anybody got any answers for this post?

Take care Carman (with the broken toe!)
Old 04-04-03, 22:09
Alexander Borgia

Default I live in Hamilton....

so I doubt it can be any worse than a steel town. I'm sure there will be severe respeiratory problems for some people down the line, but so too for people in Oz who suffered the massive forest fires not so long ago.

Although you aren't asking about chem stuff, the depleted uranium that was used in the first Gulf War has increased the rise in cancer, and since it is being used again, cancer will continue to be a problem. Keep in mind that when the DU ammo explodes, it turns to dust and sandstorms can do a great job of dispersal.
Old 04-04-03, 22:29
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: I live in Hamilton....

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Borgia
Keep in mind that when the DU ammo explodes, it turns to dust and sandstorms can do a great job of dispersal.
No question DU dust seems to be a problem (although less of one than the hysterics would have us believe), but FYI, Depleted Uranium doesn't "explode"... it's a solid penetrator with no explosive component. It's velocity/density does the job.

It's the residue from penetrations (and occasional catastrophic detonation) of the targets which is a problem, albeit localized to the action areas.

Still beats hell out of WMD... and at least the job is done quicker.
Old 04-04-03, 22:47
Vets_Dottir

Post Hmmm!

ALEXANDER and GEOFF:

Thank you both for a bit more understanding here.
I do realize that a lot is common sense, but some stuff is not common-knowledge to me. Like bombs and whaddayah makem with, etc. Uranium, I know a little about. Not much tho. (I have an Aquarian daughter. Does that bind-boggling ball of Uranium count as first hand knowledge of it?!! (grin)

I also don't understand the meanings of the abbreviations but I'm sure if I hang out in here and read more that one day you guys and gals can Quiz me, and I might even get some answers correct! (Or one would hope)

I hope people keep adding more info to this post.

You folks snowed in back East?
Old 04-04-03, 23:56

Bloody ice storm right now, Carmen... first day home since Sunday and I haven't had a satellite TV signal since 0130 this morning!!! No CNN or BBC... GRRRRRRRRRRRR.........

Aside from that, I've also lost a sizeable portion of a grand old maple in the back yard, as have several neighbours. Lots of cordage for burning next winter, but frankly, I'd rather buy my wood...
Old 05-04-03, 04:26
Vets_Dottir

Unhappy WEATHER

GEOFF: Lordy...the weather sounds a whole lot worse than I thought. I keep up a little with the news everyday but try to avoid too much of it. I'm about to check todays (online) tho, so will try get an update on things back there.

Times they are a changin' ... along with the weather hey? I also always think that whatevers happening on our planet, weatherwise, has some connection to events and moods of the world. Energy has impact no matter what it's form. But I guess I'm getting into physics here and only had grade 10 math! Guess that makes me a bit of a flake :

Sorry to hear about the trees and damage and I hope the weather turns better real fast

Take Care...Carman
Old 05-04-03, 04:47

Default We all have are own troubles....

.... I got to mow the lawn again this weekend.
Old 05-04-03, 04:49

Default Re: We all have are own troubles....

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Moon
.... I got to mow the lawn again this weekend.
I think I actually HATE you......
Old 05-04-03, 05:36
Vets_Dottir

Talking

Hmmm...Does this mean I shouldn't mention the gorgeous crosuses bloomed alongside our building even though it snowed big time this morning but now thats all melted too?

Carman
Old 05-04-03, 08:23
Commonwealth NOT Europe

And here I am in England ( where it always rains) walking around in a tee shirt-------------

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 05-04-03, 08:27
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Default re: air pollution etc

More worrying tha the after effects of DPU ammo - who the hell uses cluster bombs against anything other than armoured formations?

I thought that these things were supposed to spread their gargo on the thin upper decks of afvs and take them out?

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 05-04-03, 11:08
RIP

Default Adelaide Weather Report

Today was another beautiful Autumn day reaching about 26C. Got a bit more of a tan outside whilst restoring Ford Blitz instruments and gauges. Tomorrow will be about 28C and we're on a mystery bus trip with eskies (big plastic tubs with lids that you put ice in) full of tucker (food) and grog (alcoholic beverages).

I mow our lawns once a week. Bet you hate me to Geoff.

And there is no air pollution. The westerly sea breezes we get here keeps our air clean.

Suntan glowing, fresh air breathing, warm and cosy and avid lawn mowerer (if there is such a word) Bob
Old 05-04-03, 12:56
Vets_Dottir

Talking So this is how we're gonna play, eh?

Poor Geoff and all you other `back East-ers'
I think we're being too cruel and that ain't playin' nice

It's COLD out tonite! (that mention just for balance. Remember, I did mention that I voted Liberal at least once?):

Pray for Spring to Spring back East... and I might trade some of the restaurant smells across the street for some polltuion and like it!

Take care. Carman
Old 05-04-03, 14:03
Alexander Borgia

Default blah blah blah we need the water

So for two reasons I am not complaining about this ice storm. First, I got a snow day yesterday, and second, we desperately need the precipitation. Despite the snow we received this winter, it was a very dry winter in terms of precipitation. The Great Lakes are drying up so I won't complain about a couple of crappy days if it helps bring up the ground water.
Old 05-04-03, 14:39
Vets_Dottir

Thumbs up Re: blah blah blah we need the water

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Borgia
So for two reasons I am not complaining about this ice storm. First, I got a snow day yesterday, and second, we desperately need the precipitation. Despite the snow we received this winter, it was a very dry winter in terms of precipitation. The Great Lakes are drying up so I won't complain about a couple of crappy days if it helps bring up the ground water.

Hear Hear! BC has had a `bad' winter because of lack of snow/rain too. Our forests are going to be pretty dry, again. I remember sitting waiting for a bus and looking up at the Mountain across the highway from us. FLAMES were shooting off up into the air. Oiy. Doesn't take much to light the trees.

I like that old saying, `Be careful what you wish for, because it could come true' I just wanna get warm when I'm cold, dry when I'm wet, and cool when I'm too hot.

Gee, how did this thread start again? Something heavy? Oiy!

Take Care, carman
Old 05-04-03, 17:14
RIP

Talking Maple Tree Cordage

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Bloody ice storm right now, Carmen... first day home since Sunday and I haven't had a satellite TV signal since 0130 this morning!!! No CNN or BBC... GRRRRRRRRRRRR.........

Aside from that, I've also lost a sizeable portion of a grand old maple in the back yard, as have several neighbours. Lots of cordage for burning next winter, but frankly, I'd rather buy my wood...
Geez JWB.hope the tree didn't hit the eaves,else you'll have plastic eave cordage to contend with.Rite now.Sat AM,only snowing in Montreal.Guess I'll go make a vegemite on toast(Buddy brought it back from Oz when his six month visa expired).It'll give me strenght to shovel the snow,unless it dissolves the knife while I'm spreading it on the toast
Old 07-04-03, 01:46
In Vino Veritas

Default Snow storms

Man I miss the blizzards Winnipeg used to get :-( We only get steady snow here in the 3 to 10 cm range a day sort of thing. However when its supposed to be spring it was -25 april 1st night. It just....what's that sound , like grinding, a low rumble....ah f@#k just what I figured , here come the glaciers...
Sean
Old 07-04-03, 07:49
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Snow storms

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowtractor
Man I miss the blizzards Winnipeg used to get :-( We only get steady snow here in the 3 to 10 cm range a day sort of thing. However when its supposed to be spring it was -25 april 1st night. It just....what's that sound , like grinding, a low rumble....ah f@#k just what I figured , here come the glaciers...
Sean

Hi SEAN: Oiy. Sub-Arctic you say? Hmmm. Steady snow. Sub-sub-sub-Zero weather. Glaciers. Winter forever?

Sub-Arctic, I don't know. Never lived there or learned much about it but it sounds like a place you'd want a respite in warm sunny places every so often.

Winnipeg blizzards, I know about. I remember them.
I like the extremes in the weather there, just don't like the `forever winter' part. Here in the Kootenays, tucked into the Selkirk Mountains, we get our definate seasons changes. Snow can dump a load and keep dumping until all the trees are covered in a few inches of snow, looking like absolute magical beauty. (Your typical Winter Wonderland' Photos!!! The roads? Oiy... 'nother story.

Last month we had about 4(?) avalanches that took quite a few lives (why the ski-bums and snow-boarders would try after the first avalanch and known instability amazes me)

When Pierre Trudeau's son went missing the searchers stayed mostly in town. Takes so many people, so much money, and so much risk, to `search and rescue' too!

Watch out for those Glaciers (and big white bears
)

Carman