MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 12-04-03, 19:30
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Winning the Peace in Iraq

It seems from all I've seen that the Coalition was terribly unprepared for the speed at which Iraq has been taken. Yes, we know there's still work in the Tikrit area, but the fact is, everywhere else in this country is for all intents and purposes 'pacified', and the Iraqi people are hungry, thirsty and living in the dark. There is little radio or television communication with the masses. Lawlessness and its attendant prospective violence lurk everywhere within the urban communities.

It would seem to me that it is critical to address these shortfalls ASAP. How? Who? Where? The longer this goes on the more pissed off people over there are going to get, and the less cooperative.

We HAVE to set an example here for the rest of the Arab world; how? Is anyone in the chain of command REALLY watching these reports, or are they all still concentrating on prosecuting the war? Are the reports themselves exaggerated? I think not, but let the Forum speak.
Old 12-04-03, 21:59
In Vino Veritas

Default Supplies

I keep seeing pics of thousands of tons of relief supplies in huge warehouses in Kuwait , but after being mobbed bringing in supplies the first time , aid agencies have said until some order is restored it is unsafe for them to deliver relief. News today is that some Iraqi police and service agencies that are not Saddam's lackeys , are starting to step in to restore order. This being said supplies could be rolling soon. I might add that most of the power and other infrastructure remained intact so restoring water sewer and power might not take as long as in Kuwait where it was utterly destroyed. So fret not , yet anyway. And of course Cretien has been first to trip over himself in sucking up to the US in the promise of aid , though he doesn't support them, or he does, or is it conditionally, heck I can't remember....hmmm just had a craving for waffles...
Sean
Old 13-04-03, 21:23
Vets_Dottir

Unhappy Survival

Hi.

I think about the people over in Iraq, a lot, right now, as we all probaby do. I know that survival level always needs to be fed first. Priority number one. I actually think of all the people suffering and needy in other parts of the world and wish for them all to get their basic needs met fast.

We really are in a bubble of illusion in our own little materially abundant so-called "civilized" societies.

9-11, and now Iraq, is bringing home to a lot of people just how vulnerable we ALL are and all it takes is one little blow to blow life, as we know it, apart.

If I could take care of it all in a minute... I would.

"I know it's hard...but play nice. Play fair"