MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 21-10-05, 23:54

Default Half-Tracked Universal Carrier

In December 1943, DND's Directorate of Vehicles and Small Arms proposed a project to convert the Universal Carrier to a half track. Their concern was the Carrier was being forced to fulfil roles for which it was not intended - i.e. carry oversized loads, or tow heavy guns - which overloaded the steering, reduced ground clearance at the rear and did various other bad things. The proposed solution was to take the front end of a Ford Station wagon, including the brakes and suspension, and use it as a rear-mounted steering unit for the UC. The Carrier’s own steering would be locked, and its controls linked to add-on wheeled unit. It was expected this modification would double the Carrier's pay-load capacity in terms of both weight and volume and greatly improve its ride. The project was rather reluctantly approved, and a Carrier and set of Ford spares allocated to it. Work was to be undertaken either at the Ordnance Depot on Murray St. Ottawa, or at the Proving Ground at Montral Rd. Unfortunatley the file at Archives (HQS 8186-60) is silent as to whether it was actually built, and, if so, whether the contraption worked. Does anyone know the outcome, and if it was actually built if there are any pictures of the beast?
Old 22-10-05, 15:20
T-16, C15A

Default CMP Halftrack

I am surprised to see that Hanno has not afixed a link to show off the pix of the miscreant bastard offspring one gets when they mate a U'Carrier with a CMP.

The resulting goofy 'aftrack was underpowred, suffered from undercarraige clutter, but was ugly enough to qualify as CMP.

There are some pix about of the beast with both front wheels off the ground as it crests a small ridge. You will note that the flathead ( not Geoff ) was replaced with a Chevy engine, and the 20" wheels and tyres.

Stewart

The link was found by searching this site, and was nearly missed by me as its clever title threw me off ...

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...ight=halftrack
Old 22-10-05, 15:49
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Item No 6571818038 on e-bay is a fitting instruction manual for a Wireless Set no 19 into a 15cwt Truck and a 15cwt Half Tracked Truck (!?!). Is the "15cwt Truck, Half Tracked" the Commonwealth name for the US M3 Half Truck? I would have thought they would have had a heavier rating, or is this manual really describing another type of Half-Track altogether?
The really poorly focussed pic is from the e-bay listing:
Attached Images

Old 22-10-05, 16:48

Stewart,
An interesting beast the CMP "Maultier" but not the same - the UC Half-track was to have its steering unit mounted at the rear, so it would sort of resemble a miniature Mk.I tank of 1916 (which turned out to be of little use and were soon omitted). It was pointed out to the idea's proponents at DVA that the US Half Track (and if I recall the term "15cwt Truck, Half Tracked" was used) was readily available and would perform the same load carrying and towing functions for which the UC was being misused.
That said, in early 1944 a carrier and set of Ford spares were alloted to the project.
Roger
Old 22-10-05, 18:41

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Is the "15cwt Truck, Half Tracked" the Commonwealth name for the US M3 Half Truck? I would have thought they would have had a heavier rating, or is this manual really describing another type of Half-Track altogether?
Tony,

That is the War Office designation given to the International half tracks issued to British Forces, also Truck, 15 cwt, Half Tracked, Personnel.

Richard
Old 25-10-05, 04:10

Default Who is calling who ugly????

Beauty is in the eye of the CMPer.

A nice C60 halfbreed...er I mean half track using a UC undercarriage to bring up the rear is a thing of beauty.

Why would they insist on driving it from the rear instead of shortened drive shaft and a front drive axle behind the cab similar to the White's and International is a mistery. Obviously did not do much for flexibility since the promo pictures clearly show the contraption pulling a wheely going up a steep hill.

I suspect that the demise of any such prototype would have been the lack of power to churn all these gears and wheels and the inadvertently narrow track pads of UC...... could hardly float much weight on soft ground. I am assuming that the German halftrack in there many configuration had larger track pads to start with not to mention a proper differential steering unit instead or relying on brake linings.... White's and International had wider rubber tracks....like oversized skidoos..hahaha Ok we did not even have the name skidoo in 1945......

So who is going to make one????? I triple dare you!!!!

Bob C.
Canada