MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 04-07-10, 15:24

Default 2 pounder anti tank gun

Hi, Has anyone details of how armoured vehicles used to stow the two pounder anti tank rounds on the vehicle, I have a 2 pounder Canadian anti tank universal carrier and am making some stowage racks for the rounds, see the thread in the carrier section under ' high resolution carrier pictures, pics of what i want to reproduce.

Would the shell head been supported by some kind of wooden hole arrangement, I am guessing they would of copied a proven design and adapoted it to the carrier.

help

kevin.
Attached Images

1941 Standard Mk1 stowage Carrier, light stone.
10 cwt wartime mortar trailer.
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
1936 Vickers MG carrier No1 Mk1 CMM 985.
Old 04-07-10, 16:22

Kevin, years ago I had a couple of 2 pdr carriers that were incomplete. One of them had the racks for the ammunition along the side. These racks were entirely made of metal and the rounds were just suspended in them.
Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 05-07-10, 10:30
RIP

kevin the shot you have attached looks more like a 6 pounder to me i know they used the 6pdr shields on 2pdr attack carriers in Canada but that shot shows clearly it has a 6pdr saddle and elevator gear and only thing i can see different is it looks likea 2pdr operating handle on side of breach
In Australia they mounted a 2pdr on rear of carrier and amo was in a toast rack on right side that held the eight rounds in standard storage tins with cardboard tubes i think they had four tins in them . The standard 2pdr anti tank gun had two boxes of ammo in a ready use locker on right of gun and another two tins of rounds in storage behind this locker in front of shield which was standard to all uk and australian 2pdr anti tank guns

if you need shots of standard 2pdr eight tround tins let me know
regards' rod
Old 05-07-10, 13:47

Hi, Rod I am 100% sure that gun is a 2 pounder, check out the photos in the thread 'high resolution carrier pictures' find it in the mlu search engine. It has the 6 pdr shield. I would like some shots of the tins you have please.

thanks kevin.
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
Old 06-07-10, 14:14
RIP

Default tins and 2pdr

yes on blow up it seems they have mated a 2pdr gun and recoil to a 6pdr saddle and shield with elevator . Interesting here they mated a 20mm on a 2pdr mount with an adapter that replaced the barrel and recoil .
shots attached of tin ready use on my gun under the leather spares box and a stack of assorted ammo tins and storage tins in front of gun all ammo is inert and correct to local law in case anyone gets worried , aussies used red and green tins in pairs in the carry tins , canadian tins are mroe rounded and less complex one is just visible behind the open tin with rounds in cardboard tubes . also there is a selection of rounds ap and ap proof

gun is a first model with mk9/10 barrle that is stepped one in your shot appears not to be stepped so same as one in tanks

behind the ready use tin is two more tins of rounds and just visible to lower left of gun is visible a canadian tin and to left a two round storage tin just edging in shot
regards
rod

Last edited by Rod Bellars (RIP); 25-08-15 at 09:52.
Old 06-07-10, 16:41

Here are the 8 round tin containers and the ammo box on my 2 pounder. I'm hoping to replace this box with the correct locker soon. Ron
Attached Thumbnails
2 Pounder 015.jpg   2 Pounder 016.jpg  
Old 07-07-10, 18:14

Default shopping list to build this gun.

Hi Rod, Thanks for taking time to look at the detailed pics of the 2 pounder, If I am going to replicate this particular 2 pounder set up, I am going to need a 2 pdr barrel and what else do you see as original to a standard 2 pdr?. I am also going to need a 6 pdr sheild and other parts of the 6 pdr gun as you have mentioned. What I need is an expert to summarise what i need to put it all together.

I have been looking for a 2pdr but I guess now I only need limited parts from it and should be sourcing a 6pdr for parts from that too.

If someone could educate me on the specific items i need i may be able to build this gun from parts sourced, rather than buying a complete gun only to borrow certain parts from it.

The shield looks like an item I can make from scratch, so i need a 2 pdr barrel, 6 pdr saddle and elevator gear ?.

thank kevin.
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
Old 08-07-10, 10:52
RIP

well it looks like you need
6pdr elevator and saddle ,as well as shield and capsquares the gun is definently a 2pdr tank gun but they probably used anti tank gun barrels as well . The only unknown i can see is the recoil housing if they used a six poubder saddle then its common sense to thnk they used possibly a six pounder recoil housing with an adaapter slide on gun .
I do have a fair bit of those parts here but a fellow in uk has already expressed interest in the shield and 2pdr spares
what i have here is
shield half already aside for other fellow
saddle
recoil housing 6pdr
barrel 2pdr which from his last email may also be on hold for him
i also have an axle with saddle loop in place that probably is same mounting loop used on carrier
regards
rod
Old 10-07-10, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
kevin the shot you have attached looks more like a 6 pounder to me i know they used the 6pdr shields on 2pdr attack carriers in Canada but that shot shows clearly it has a 6pdr saddle and elevator gear and only thing i can see different is it looks likea 2pdr operating handle on side of breach
Below is a photo of a 2 pounder Mk. 10 on a Mk. 4 carriage.

Old 12-07-10, 12:13
RIP

John
thats a new one on me have you any more shots of it i have 6pdr shield with plate for 2 and 6pdr always tagged it to 2pdr on carrier interesting great to learn new thngs
hard to tell from shot but looks like they use a 6pdr recoil and just a 2pdr barrel and sleigh unit

wonder why they carried on that way did they have a shortage of 6pdr barrels or a surplus of mounts to use left over barrels from 2pdr production?
shield appears to have a more sharper bend in i tlike one i have here I suspect was a latter production
regards
Rod
Old 15-07-10, 10:18
RIP

kevin
have just cleared items are available as follows for sale or trade that are of use to you in your project if you like to email me
-six pounder half of shield
-six pouder saddle
-six pounder recoil unit
-six pounder mounting ring for saddle
-2pdr barrel this is a fair way to what you need also if a trade goes through with another uk fellow you may be able to ship in a shared container

regards