MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 03-07-10, 14:27
RIP

Default 4.2" mortars in oz

I am new to this so I thought Ii would start with a little update on heavy mortars and their issueance "down under"

Initially the Australian army ordered 500 mortars of varous types and by may1943 50 had been delivered refer "Gower ". i doubt if 500 were ever fullly delivered but in early 1980 they were still in store at Bandiana and there was approx 120 infantry types and 20 towed . I always had a interest in these and ended up with five towed models a few more infantry and early para models

From what I can gather from items in collection and others the very first infantry model had a sliding hook arrangement securing the third leg that was later replaced with a lock strap for simplicity , early models had leg "D" pivot plate lightened with two holes not done in more common latter models and the sight collar was a well lmachined one piece unit on a complex stepped track that was quickly replaced with a simple two piece sight mount like the 3" although on the towed mortar a special set of legs were used to allow hgher angle firing on larger towed platform and a one piece sight collar like early pattern but simplified with mk2 wedge mounting . sadly our musems ie AWM in Canberra and Bandiana seem to like adding the towed legs to the infantry base plate as seen on file shots of earlier discussions on this site .
In the early 80s most mortars were sold off or scrapped , in case of wheeled mounts most ending life in parks or returned services clubs and a small number in collections sadly the infantry models survived less as complete units because when offered for sale governent sold 3" for $100 and 4.2" infantry for $650 so most authorized to do so bought 3" until they ran out of base plates for 3" then the balance were scrapped and occasionally parts show up that survived the scrap yards more often legs as by the time scrap people understood what they had they had already processed many of the 4.2" base plates and barrels

Some barrels surfaced in 80s from ordnance section Beindigo as well I believe with two kinds of training barrel and infantry barrels and earlier in 70s a small number of training mortars were sold through government scrap sales to Uptons in Corowa which also occasionally still pop up in old established collections . The very early model legs discussed above tend to be also reffered as paratroop model and from training barrels observed I assume these were slightly shorter than standard infantry barrels
I wil try and update various shots of the collection over time and also chase parts i need some of which are
canadian 6pdr anti tank gun early model sight mount and shutter unit , recoil lock nut ,barrel dust guards
17pdr elevation and traverse gear boxes and cocking return lever for breach block
french m97 recoil housing with cover and trunnions
anyway this will touch base

naturally anyone who may have a source of orignal base plates for 4.2" I am interested to hear from as I have a lot of complete units missing them and am happy to import i am fully licenced class 1 in state of Victoria . I am also very willing to trade for wanted items
regards
Rod
I have just loaded some shots as attachments see if they work I am a "flat earther" on computer stuff

Last edited by Rod Bellars (RIP); 25-08-15 at 09:52.
Old 04-07-10, 10:38
Tony Cochrane

Try the arms collectors guild of qld

http://www.acgq.org.au/

They bought 3" and 4.2" mortars and baseplates from the ADF
Old 04-07-10, 11:59
RIP

Default thank you for inof

Tony
have sent them an email about two years ago they came to a Melbourne gun auction with some mortars and machine guns they were getting rid of and I bought a 4.2" base plate and skeletonized vickers off them etc the base plate was grey if thats the one you were thinking of already have it . be interesting to see if they have anymore
regards
Rod
Old 04-07-10, 12:00
Graeme Jamieson

Default Kangaroo Island South Australia

Think this is one.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3583a.jpg  
Old 04-07-10, 12:10
RIP

Default kangarooo island shot

thats a new one to me at least they have it under a roof and on concrete but looks like sun has got to the tyres and many smalls have walked as usual . will have to chase it up next time I am down that way if you want to see them closer to home in the parks in Victoria theres one at kangaroos ground near bendigo and another in a suburban rsl park near keilor .
regards
rod
Old 05-07-10, 00:35
Tony Cochrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Tony
have sent them an email about two years ago they came to a Melbourne gun auction with some mortars and machine guns they were getting rid of and I bought a 4.2" base plate and skeletonized vickers off them etc the base plate was grey if thats the one you were thinking of already have it . be interesting to see if they have anymore
regards
Rod
Bloke to ask for is Daryl Noe up at Nanango.

They did have 4.2' baseplates still in the shipping crates from the army at one stage, I saw them at Daryls place at Kuraby.
Old 05-07-10, 02:31
RIP

okay have sent him an email as wel to follow up what he has stil spare as i have a surplus of legs and barrels and ces
regards
Old 06-07-10, 06:25
Tony Cochrane

Rod

if you don't have any luck try this mob

http://www.collectorsarmoury.com.au/...y/default.html

Good luck though, he can be a bit spotty to deal with (runs hot and cold if he wants to sell stuff)

Tony
Old 06-07-10, 08:51
RIP

bought some items off vic nothng recently as you say depends on day and also what he parts out .I remember 30 years back buying boxes of bren mags off him and other bits recently a few shells , there was also a disposals in Brisbane named after a girls name cheries ? they had a lot of good gear and spent a good week up there while attending a show and indulged myself in the mud crabs with the big claws good memories must do one of Howard Westons shows again some time in not to distant future
regards
Rod
Old 06-07-10, 10:27
Tony Cochrane

Sherrys ? They have moved to another location and not a patch on what they used to sell. Gucci camo and thats about it.....

Howards last gunshow was a disaster, very poor and not a lot of gear for sale anymore.

Only auction is one in August

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14939

looks OK

Tony
Old 06-07-10, 11:15
RIP

no worries interesting inof on auction and current shows i have stopped doing a lot of shows shepparton in febuary is best one in this state and next weekend is ballarat and august Bendigo

yes the old stores are long gone with the good toys i still have a few crates of mortar stores i bough from sherrys if that was an old wharehouse like building stacked to roof
regards
rod