MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 08-12-03, 15:21
T-16, C15A

Default 06June04 Events?

Has anyone in the group heard if there are any events planned in Canada to commemerate the 60th anniversary of the Normandy invasion?

Stewart
Old 08-12-03, 17:18
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Whatareya, too cheap to come to Britain & Normandy?
Old 08-12-03, 19:08
T-16, C15A

Default ...Not Cheap, But ...

... Going to the museum at Bovington and to see McStolly and Hanno at Beltring.

I got a message from my pal Maj. Charlie Fitton of the HLI who says something may be brewing in the Nations Capital for early June.

While I hope for a summer coup d'etat with the new Reform Party, I suspect it is more likely that a parade of some sort might get organized to commemorate those events of 60 years ago.

Stewart
headed back to MD
Old 08-12-03, 19:33

Default Beltring is out

McStolly, Hanno and the rest will NOT be at Beltring (vis-a-vis previous threads). They will be at Southampton - McStolly's own show - the last week in May and on to Normandy thereafter. I will be there with SUNRAY MINOR as well.

Change your bluidy schedule, Jock!

See http://solentmvt.co.uk/ for details....
Old 10-02-04, 20:34

Default Camp X Historical Society D-Day Events

The Camp X Historical Society is in the process of planning an event the weekend of June 5 and 6, 2004. The society "reactivates" the camp setting up old war time communications and displays of artifacts from the spy training camp. Its located on the border of oshawa and whitby. There will be more details posted on their website soon.

www.campxhistoricalsociety.ca/activities.htm

Check there for details (that are coming soon)

if you require more information sooner, email me (m_rutledge@canada.com)

Thanks
Old 06-05-04, 15:54

Default Toronto? Ottawa?

Surely at least in Ottawa there must be something... has anyone the details?
Old 06-05-04, 20:49
RIP

Default Ottawa event

There is a big event planned in Ottawa that weekend. I don't have a web-site addy at habnd but it will start on Thursday the 3rd with set-up at a local high school. This is sponsored by the school board (believe it or not) and is the 15th year this event "To Stand On Guard For Thee) has been held. Lots of WWII reenactors, DND participation, this years Vet Aff Cda is involved also. Tentage and food provided. Friday a static display for students bused in from the region. Lots of living hstory, vets, MilVehs, etc... Saturday, a field tactical which involves an attack on the Minto Bridges (three Victorian era bridges over the Rideau River) behind the Old City Hall. Saturday evening Service Publications will host a BBQ, Sunday a parade in downtown Ottawa organised by DND. No registration cost for any of this.
E-mail me if you want more info.
Old 06-05-04, 21:53
Richard Notton

Default Re: Beltring is out

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
McStolly, Hanno and the rest will NOT be at Beltring (vis-a-vis previous threads). They will be at Southampton - McStolly's own show - the last week in May and on to Normandy thereafter. I will be there with SUNRAY MINOR as well.

See http://solentmvt.co.uk/ for details....
Can we cope with the larger than life Canadians I wonder. . . . .

Let me just report how it is, and not comment or derive opinions.

As many have reported, the "tasty" stuff at Beltring is largely gone now as these people will not pay the fees now levied, I will not be there, Ballard(s) wont be there and I understand the Oxford LRDG and a seriously tasty suite of CMPs wont be there.

I understand that IMPS have served papers on the high-profile organiser because of the breach of contract and company law illegalities.

Reports received in this forum suggest the substantial fees levied on exhibitors have not produced any facility improvement, in fact reported here is a scenario of grossly unacceptable provision of sanitation and a statement by the organiser that the facilities generally are indeed wholly overstretched.

I understand one of the two well known and substantial exhibitors with a raft of nearly unique and stunningly restored heavy German kit called the other organising party that owns/leases the Hop Farm.

His request was that perhaps an arena slot could be arranged where he and the very few others with this stuff could demonstrate and narrate these rare an wonderful machines without always being obliged to show these things complete with pretend Wehrmacht/SS soldiers firing blanks, clambering all over the vehicles and complaining that he and his drivers refuse to dress-up. The continuance of this situation was unacceptable and he would not probably then bring the collection along if it continued.

The answer was that they couldn't care less, numbers through the gates was all that mattered and the space left could be easily filled with Land Rovers.

He than called the other high-profile organiser hoping to get a more sympathetic hearing, but in fact the same statements were made.

You know my feelings and can deduce what you will from the above. I have obviously not named anyone as it is unnecessary and I can vouch for the source who I know extremely well and respect greatly. I will not enter into any discussion, we've been there, and have just attempted to report blandly what developments have apparently transpired.

R.