MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 22-05-14, 19:50

Default CMP C8A HMV Ebay USA

CMP C8A HMV for sale on ebay USA / Canada. Looks good.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1943-CMP-CHEV...itary_Vehicles

Quote:
Up for the serious CMP Collector is the last remaining Chevrolet C8A Heavy Utility Machinery "ZL-1" Wireless Repair Truck. The date of manufacture was Aug 12, 1943 and the Serial Number ZL is No. 68. Although the truck was manufactured by Chevrolet, the rear portion "shop" was outfitted by the Chrysler Corporation of Canada. The truck itself was a prototype designed for a wireless repair vehicle. Only a few were manufactured and again this is number 68. According to the late Bart Vanderveen of Wheels and Tracks Magazine No. 2... "on the ZL-1, only one or two of which were built, the right hand side body door was bolted or welded shut". The truck itself turned out to be too small for soldiers to work in. Again, according to Government Military Sources quoted in Wheels and Tracks Magazine No 2..." design not satisfactory for operation with Telecom Sections because vehicle too low so that repairman must remain in sitting position. This awkward for inspection or repair of most types of wireless sets. Not sufficent storage space for carrying equipment necessary when operating in forward areas as an independent unit etc. attached to signals maintenance area". The VIN Number is 384451289 and has the original 216 cu inch engine in it with the same serial number as on the data plate. This rare gem was completely taken apart, sandblasted, primed and repainted from the ground up. The drive train and brake system are all new and completed with original parts. The brake drums have been turned and balanced. The tires are brand new WW11 design Chevron Pattern 10:50 X 16. The engine head was sent out and professionally rebuilt with all new parts. The vehicle also has had turn signals installed. The vehicle is currently titled, insured and on the road today in British Columbia. Starts like a charm and runs like a deer. AND LOOKIN' SHARP !!! The remaining areas to be finished are as such: 1/ Original tail lights and black out light to be installed. These are included with the purchase. 2/ Head lights and dash lights need to be wired up. (wiring already installed) 3/ Rear shop to be outfitted. Also included are: The original hard cover manual outlining the interior of the truck including detailed photos and diagrams of the shop area. Maintenance Manual for Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles. Chevrolet Spare Parts List Manual. All window curtains. The vehicle is located just outside Vancouver B.C. and can be shipped world wide. If you have any questions or queries, please contact me. Good luck !!

Last edited by Scott Hamilton; 05-04-15 at 22:36.
Old 22-05-14, 20:14
carrier mech

I believe that will be MLU member Rob Morrison's vehicle. He put a great deal of money into the original purchase and restoration of this vehicle. It is a nice vehicle, but at the end of the day, they are not for everyone, so it is hard to recoup one's investment in them.
Old 22-05-14, 20:38
3RD ECHELON WKSP

On that note, Rob, I must agree.
I hope it goes up in value at auction to where he needs it to be.
I have noticed that as unique as Cmp trucks are, they are relatively cheap here in Canada even in restored and operating order as compared to other hmvs.
I am not sure whether this is the culture of us few collector types here or just the plain and simple fact that the American type hmvs are more sought after and have a higher degree of collectability and sell quick.
I suppose US vehicles have an appeal on either side of the border hence a larger target market.
Proof that "rare" doesn't neccessarly mean "valuable" as everybody is led to believe.
There were over 750,000 Jeeps produced yet they average $15000+ restored yet trying to get $10K for a low production, oddball vehicle is very difficult.
Furthermore, Canadians as a whole are very thrifty in spending on our toys and the current economic situation in the USA does not help.
While Americans tend to have more liquid capital to spend on things, the fact is that down south hobbies and extras are second to life- mortgages, bank loans, groceries etc.
There will always be the wealthy, to whom economic downturns have little to no effect; to the middle class man who likes to spend his extra cash on his hobby, well frankly right now for many there simply is no extra there.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers

Last edited by chris vickery; 22-05-14 at 20:44.
Old 22-05-14, 23:35

Default Spot on Rob.....

Hey Rob/Chris ....it's mine. Tons of lookers and taggers. I was wondering whether any Canucks were going to throw their hat into the ring. Finally got 2, the rest are out of town. I figured since "Mr White" in England figures his is worth 70 to 100 thousand pounds at the latest auction, I thought what the heck! If anyone has any questions they can PM me. Enjoy.....Robert
Old 22-05-14, 23:37

Default PS Scott

PS: Thanks Scott for posting this. Cheers....R
Old 23-05-14, 00:15
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Robert, your restoration is a beautiful piece of work. If I was in the market for a HUP I would certainly consider it. I am an ex-HUP owner afterall and can appreciate the uniqueness of such a vehicle.
If your truck was in the UK I am sure it would go for a tidy sum.
Best of luck with your sale, sorry to see you let her go.

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 23-05-14, 01:27

Default she's a looker....

Thanks Chris. Compared to the C60, this is like driving a sports car. One thing is, that when you take it down the road, it's one vehicle that sure stops traffic. It's just a tough lookin' beast! R.
Old 23-05-14, 07:07

What's the ebay ref number, please?

Mike C

Keffie .. a HUP .... in the USA....... mmmmmmm ..... almost as good as an Aussie 15 Cwt Personnel!
Old 23-05-14, 07:09

OK .... I've found it.

Mike C
Old 23-05-14, 09:17
V.M.V.C Member

Default Tow vehicle

Hey Mike, you would look good in that towing your GP to shows.
4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi
Wiles Cooker 2 wheeled (jnr)
Old 02-06-14, 01:31

Default I certainly won't bother with Ebay...

when it comes to clearing my vehicle collection. It's always a disappointment, reserves are never met, but granted it does get you some exposure. The fraternity knows where and who has the nice vehicles, and for the most part I think the true value deals are done here. Cheers Rob Fast in Manitoba
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 02-06-14, 02:48
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Rob,
You have certainly "hit the nail on the head" with your advice.
Within the fraternity of collectors, prices are usually determined.
Collectors know who has what as you say and set the pricing according to market conditions.
Epay unfortunately gives too many unrealistic expectations, especially novices or people outside the community.
As one fellow stated to me over the weekend, now that eBay has removed listing charges, really there is nothing to loose by advertising items at whatever price one chooses.
When people had to pay for adverts, they put realistic prices up right off the bat, hoping to intice bidders and force a bidding war.
Unfortunately, when it comes to the restoration business, all too often one puts a lot more money into a project than we gain back. It's a risk that is all too easy to fall into...

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 02-06-14, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
Unfortunately, when it comes to the restoration business, all too often one puts a lot more money into a project than we gain back.
You're certainly right there Chris, CMP restoration is definitely a not-for-profit business!
Old 02-06-14, 17:30

I've always thought the 'costs' were what we pay for the enjoyment and excitement we get from the restoration, and the fellowship it brings with other MV-ers.

If you do decide to sell, what it is worth is what someone else is willing to pay for it, not some cost-recovery figure calculated by the seller.

I was puzzled some years ago when a tyre kicker came to look at a vehicle I was selling (a rare one, I might add), and bored me to distraction when he went through all sorts of verbal machinations about 'resale' and the 'cost/labour time' relationship (whatever that means!). In the end my patience was ended and I suggested he was NOT the right future owner, so please leave. I think I insulted him. Anyway, it did go to a good home and is now restored and looking a million dollars - the current owner did it because he enjoyed the process and the result.

Mike C
Old 02-06-14, 18:59
3RD ECHELON WKSP

I would have to agree Mike. The main reason I play with MVs is for the pure joy of turning something old, broken and unwanted into a piece of working history.
If you figure that playing golf, boating, collecting trinkets or what have you all cost money, then really how is MV restoration any different?
When your golf game is over, it's over, the money is gone, you have nothing to show for the money you spent.
I am happy if I can break even on my expenses in parts etc. Labour cannot be factored into the equation...

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 03-06-14, 01:54
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Fully agree

Hi Guys

I fully agree with all previous comments made by members above. When I retired and was looking at what to do. I decided to restore a WW2 MB Willys Jeep, something that had been a life long dream. My Jeep was restored from the chassis up and it was one of my greatest achievements in life.

The friends I made along the way and the support and assistance from my fellow MLU members helped me in the transition from work into retirement. The cost involved was never noted as it was a labour of love and only someone who has restored a vehicle will know the pride every time you drove your vehicle. The looks and comments from others made you feel good.

But when the time came for change I did not worry about the costs involved, as long as my jeep went to a person who appreciated the vehicle and would love it like I did. It sold in one week and I note other similar vehicles are still for sale because the price was calculated to the last penny. I doubt if I even covered costs, but my jeep is with someone who appreciates the vehicle.

That is why I love to follow restorations by fellow MLU members of similar mind, that way we keep WW2 vehicle history alive

Cheers

Tony