MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 19-01-23, 19:03

Default Lynx1 parts manual?

I believe I have two missing pages that were not printed in my parts manual, 2-4 and 2-7 related to the early rear axle assembly. I have references in the index that point me to those pages but they are blank?
Could I ask that anybody with a manual check to see if those pages are printed in theirs and if they exist scan and post, or alternatively were they never printed wether on purpose or not.
Thanks in advance.
Old 20-01-23, 08:31

Default Missing Pages

Funny Harry.... I am missing pages 3 and 4 . I have page 2 , 5,6,7, etc.
Just cannot remember , but my photo-copied manual may have come from BCA ? , Cheers Andrew.
Loyd Carrier / English / Candian / LP.
M3 Stuart
Old 21-01-23, 03:16

Default Thank you Grant Bowker

Grant, you came through again! Excellent ! thank you!
I'm not crazy, the pages weren't there. (well the crazy part is subjective)
Old 02-02-23, 23:36

Default I think there is a reason

I found out rather belatedly that pages 2-1, 2-10 and 2-11 are also not printed.
Reading upon the manual I realize I have the first series rear axle for the LynxI mkIII, The serial number being 23.
From 201 up it uses an upgraded axle and states that it does not support the first axle and if it breaks to replace the entire axle lug nut to lug nut with the upgraded axle kit. so they may have deliberately not printed those pages so there would be no request for those parts? Just a theory and I note pages 2-10 and 2-11 are for the second series axles.
Not to be confused with the LynxII as it is again an entirely different axle.
Old 03-02-23, 02:15

Harry,

Given your quoted page numbers, I presume that you are not referencing FSC-01 as it’s pages are numbered consecutively from 1 to 142.

What parts list do you have?

Andrew,

Given your page numbers, I presume you are referencing FSC-01. If so, pages 3 and 4 are a foldout illustration of the brake system ( image attached).

Colin
Attached Thumbnails
BCD3AE17-39E0-4249-8DE9-31921982038B.jpeg   DFCA1888-417E-4A41-ACCF-81C2FE2C9389.jpeg  
Old 03-02-23, 02:33

Default That must be rare

My manual is FSC 02 that is for the lynxI MkIII and Mkiii*
Old 03-02-23, 03:04

Default FSC-02 manual

your manual must be an extremely rare one as I would think it applies only to the first batch to 200? or does yours show the two types of rear axles? which would move the change from III to III* to a later number. I've alwaysassumed 201 was the first III*
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6895.jpg   IMG_6896.jpg  
Old 03-02-23, 03:20

Harry,

This manual only includes the first type of rear axle, so I suppose it is only applicable for the first 200 vehicles.

Attached are images of the pages pertaining to the rear axle.

Colin
Attached Thumbnails
42244A03-6C3F-4017-A7E0-6F366AB17B0C.jpeg   395373DE-6372-41BA-999E-61139D8464FD.jpeg   BF53A8AE-6D9A-432F-8E02-393484B4EA42.jpeg   56FB3F1E-328C-45C5-AF6A-EA63FDA79774.jpg   28EA5AE1-C2DA-4CA6-AC59-7C22D5AB47FF.jpg  

Old 03-02-23, 03:27

Harry,

I’ve re-read your posts, and given that the missing pages are spread over both types of axles, I presume that their omission was just a printing mistake.

My Ford Major Assemblies book was bound with a bunch of duplicate rear axle pages in the middle of the engine section, and it is missing the corresponding quantity of engine pages.

Colin
Old 03-02-23, 06:41

Yes , I can see where the confusion has arisen , Thanks for the input for the Lynx's , Cheers Andrew
Loyd Carrier / English / Candian / LP.
M3 Stuart
Old 03-02-23, 21:25
F60S

Default Missing pages

I have lost track of the above.
I have FSC-02. It includes pages
2-1, 2-4, 2-7, 2-10 and 2-11.
If the problem above has not been resolved, would you like me to post them here?
Alastair
F60S LAAT
Ford Lynx I MkIII*
Old 03-02-23, 23:49

Default I'm hoping Grant will indulge me

Grant got me the first two pages and I'm hoping he can get me the othere's, with apologies for not checking before he sent me the other pages i needed.
Old 04-02-23, 22:50

Default Don't tell me......

......I need to crate another box full of axle parts........

Are you heavy footed with the clutch or the parts too old?????

There was some documentation that early Ford axles were subject to breaking even on early F15a models and GM axles used temporarily on the assembly line..... would that be issue on the Lynx as well....... or just a particular batch of axle shafts.....?

Anyways, if we can help just let us know.

Cheers
Canada
Old 05-02-23, 04:49

Default weak axles

Only the ones with serial numbers under 200 had this axle, the rest were upgraded at #201. Kind of cool that it actually retained the first axle that it was made with. I do know now that the brake drums and backing plates are off a later probably 47-50 Ford truck.
The axle broke and I had a new one made.
The new axle is very robust and only slightly different in the profile of the inner face of the axle flange.
That slight change and some other compromises that the previous owner did to get it all working then caused some conflicts that caused some very dangerous complications.
That flat surface then interfered with the axle stub, (you can hear it in my second new years day video were I comment on the brakes making noises) The axle tube end ground against the flat axle profile. If that was the only factor it would have simply wore away its necessary clearance or gave me some indication of trouble and I might have investigated.
So back to before I broke the axle and did the brakes, when i got it there was no seal and no lock washer, I had a lock washer and installed it, the effect was to move the nut closer to the axle flange, he even made a shim that at the time I wasn't sure why but I put it in and with the stock profile of the original axle flange it worked.
But then I got the new axle and installed it. I did that short drive for New Years thats on the video, I also commented about the engine running rough.
I sorted the engine issue with a new coil and on the very next trip out of the garage, the debris from the interference jammed against the outer nut on the Axle housing and with it on the left side started to unscrew it, and it must have emediatly got real tight and with the lock washer bent over the two nuts the tab on the washer sheared and both nuts unwound within two blocks.
Things happened very fast at that point and those accumulated changes plus ones that took some careful examination to figure out had me losing drive just where I was going to turn uphill. First thought, I broke the other axle. (Actually the axle and brake drum moved out and past the brake shoes)
No problem this time to get it in the garage because this time I would just engage the front axle drive back and fix it again.
The next few seconds were very dicey and somebody above had my back.
I coast around the corner uphill, apply the brakes, nope no brakes it went to the floor, yanked the emergency brake and nothing, i had as i came to a stop turned the steering wheel straight so while this is all happening I'm already rolling back, rather quickly, only by luck and the big guy above I missed a parked car, only the curb and neighbours beefy gate post kept me from going any further down into their front yard. I climbed out and assessed things, took some pictures, put it in four wheel and parked across the street, took more picture, left a note at the front door and looked things over.
I then had brakes again (I figure the movement shifted the axle back in slightly and engaged the brake shoes.
Not sure of what happened and figured it was operator error and I was really confused, embarrassed and pissed off, I really wanted to take it to the Chinese New Year Parade for the veterans to ride in. And I figured I broke the axle, I didn't see what the issue was. I gingerly drove back down the block and stopped before going down the lane, I had brakes, both hydraulic and emergency.In first gear and with my left foot engaging the brakes I gingerly went down my lane and just as I was about to turn into the garage, the brake pedal went to the floor, but I was in four wheel drive so i turned away from the garage and shut off the motor so with the crawling speed I was going and engine compression it stopped just around the corner but what another holy c*** moment, reversed up hill into the garage and stoped against the blocks I have in place and counted my blessings and a shout out to the big guy.

I climbed out, went in the house and typed out a better note for my neighbour, assesed what I had to do and whilewalking back considered all the sickining what if's.
Neigbours were new to the Neighborhood, German Guy with Fijian wife and family insisted I have some of his Beer and his Father in law also impressed me with Fijian Grogg(?) Beer was great,especially under the curcumctances and the grogg made my tongue numb. Such is my neighbourhood. Couple of days to repair the fence and gate, more Beer!
When I got back to work on the Lynx the axle was slid out with the wheel brake drum etc fully clear of the brake shoe.
First thought was I had the axle made too long and had stripped the threads, but then I saw the chewed up flange where the interference first occurred and with a lot of carefully taking it all apart a couple other factors were discovered, First the outer bearing was too wide, it fit and had worked but took up room for the lock washer and nuts, After spending time pouring over the catalogues on line I saw that the right bearing was common to CMP's,and I had some brand new ones, measured them and they fit worked and had a lot more room. Second was I had the inner seal all chewed up and realized an adapter had been machined to hold a seal that worked but it also may have pushed the hub out slightly as it had a lot of rotational wear on it, Proper seal was 23820, another common CMP seal that I had on hand.
Had to go on ebay and buy a really nice thread chaser to clean up the threads that took a beating when the axle came off not to mention the initial friction from the interference. I also had my son draw up some CAD drawings and had a Waterjet cutting shop make me some 1/8 inch spacers and 3/64 thick lock washers with tabs.
I checked everything with grease markers to check interference and I'll get it back together for good next week.
I suppose there are lessons in the experience. Hopefullythis saves someone grief somewhere down the line.

Now I could have related the mechanical issues on this post without mentioning what happened on the road, my poor decisions, not checking interference and assuming the existing parts were in good order.
But I also remember others on this forum have related their near misses or hits with candour, too this day I do not open the oil filler door on my cab 13's while in motion, someone on this forum has the scars and shared the lesson so i don't have the same scars.
I have had the pleasure of meeting many on this forum and look forward to meeting more in the future, we share our experiances and it's my go too online community.
Plus the Gerber family are great people and they didn't really like the front fence anyway it used to squeak loudly and it doesn't now. (and great beer)
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6797.jpg   IMG_6815.jpg   IMG_6844.jpg   IMG_6873.jpg  
Old 05-02-23, 18:54

Default Thanks for documenting your experience.....

...rough patch there.......... good reference for existing & future MLU members.

Good luck.......
Canada