MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 02-09-05, 06:35

Default Fusiliers Mont-Royal Les

Hello:

I am new to this forum. I am researching my dad's wartime records and need some info. He was posted in East Sussex from Sept 42 until July 8th 44 when he landed in Normandy. I obtained his service records from the Canadian Archives but they do not give much detail because he hasn't been deceased for 20 years. I would like to know where in Sussex he was billeted. I know the FMR's head quarters was in Lewes, but my dad was in another place, and lived in a nizzen hut. Also he was a POW, captured near Falaise on Aug10th 44 and was in Stalag 357 in Follingbostel, Germany and liberated by the Brits in April or May 45. I would like to know what happened in the Stalag camp and where he went for rehab in Scotland before he returned to Canada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dianne
Old 02-09-05, 17:10
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Fusiliers Mont-Royal Les

Quote:
Originally posted by Dianne
Hello:

I am new to this forum. I am researching my dad's wartime records and need some info. He was posted in East Sussex from Sept 42 until July 8th 44 when he landed in Normandy. I obtained his service records from the Canadian Archives but they do not give much detail because he hasn't been deceased for 20 years. I would like to know where in Sussex he was billeted. I know the FMR's head quarters was in Lewes, but my dad was in another place, and lived in a nizzen hut. Also he was a POW, captured near Falaise on Aug10th 44 and was in Stalag 357 in Follingbostel, Germany and liberated by the Brits in April or May 45. I would like to know what happened in the Stalag camp and where he went for rehab in Scotland before he returned to Canada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dianne
Hi Dianne;

Just some notes to begin with, oh, and welcome to the MLU Forum.

- your father would have joined the FMR in Sept. '42, most likely as a reinforcement, after the FMR's heavy losses at Dieppe (Aug '42)

- the FMR were part of the 6th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Infantry Division

- your father may have been captured on the morning of 8 Aug '44, when a company of the FMR were cut off in the outskirts of May-sur-Orne and he wasn't 'posted' as a POW until 10 Aug. this was during First Canadian Army's OPERATION TOTALIZE which was an attack down the Caen-Falaise road, with Falaise itself as the objective

- the POW Camp at Follingbostel was 'officially liberated' by elements of the 8th and 11th Hussars (British 7th Armoured Division) on 16 April '45, but the actual prisoners had taken over the camp some days before when their guards had fled in the face of the allies advance

I'll post more shortly.

Cheers
Old 02-09-05, 20:16

Hi Mark:

Thanks for your reply, I have been searching around message boards and even posted a message in a Sussex newspaper in June looking for help and or answers regarding my dad's war years. I had quite a response to the newspaper ad, people have been really wonderful sharing their wartime experiences with me. Many knew of my dad's regiment, because of the Dieppes raid, but couldn't give any specific information relating to my dad.

My dad enlisted in 1941 with the Regiment de Chateauguay, Farnham, Quebec. I believe that he transferred to the FMR just before he sailed to UK on 29-9-42.

His regimental number was D 51353. His POW number was 70754.

Thanks again for replying and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Cheers...Dianne
Old 02-09-05, 20:43
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
My dad enlisted in 1941 with the Regiment de Chateauguay, Farnham, Quebec. I believe that he transferred to the FMR just before he sailed to UK on 29-9-42.
Hi Dianne;

If your father was with Le Regiment de Chateauguay (Mit.) in 1941, he was a member of the Reserve Army up until Le Regiment de Chateauguay (Mit.) were mobilized for 'Active Service' in March, 1942. Being that Le Regiment de Chateauguay (Mit.) were mobilized on a 'Home War Establishment' footing (ie: the defence of Canada within her borders), he probably volunteered for 'Overseas Service' (sometime after Mar 42) which led to him departing Canada on 29 Sep 42 for the UK.

Also, from your earlier post:

Quote:
...where he went for rehab in Scotland before he returned to Canada
Can you post what is entered on his Record of Service from the time he arrived back in the UK until he departed for Canada (in 1945)

Cheers
Old 02-09-05, 22:22
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
just before he sailed to UK on 29-9-42
Hi Dianne;

If your father sailed for the UK on 29 Sep 42, he crossed in TROOP CONVOY 'N.A. 16', which was made up of the following Troop Ships: "Stirling Castle", "Athlone Castle", "Pasteur", "Awatea"., with the "S.S. Pasteur" carrying the FMR reinforcements. They sailed from Halifax (Pier 22) on 29 Sep 42 and arrived at Gourock (Scotland) on the evening of 6 Oct 42.

Cheers
Old 02-09-05, 22:38

Hi Mark:

Yes you are right my dad did volunteer for service overseas.

I will try to copy what is on his service records, it is hand written and hard to read. Here goes:

SOS CDN Army [O/S] & No 1 N.E.T.B. Cpl 20June 45 #1 report UK 88b 20June 45

TOS from C.A. [O/S] reported 28 June 45 XUK 166
Granted leave [R.O. 5520[9] and ration allce
Art 196[4] FR &1 from June 29 45 to 28 Jul 45

SOS discharged [r.o. 1029 para 5]
Add. On Discharge 6676 Jogues St. MOntreal 20 June
granted $100.00 clothing allowance [Art 186 [1] Fr & 1
and 30 days pay of rank [r.o.4415]

T 3 1 C Recep D TOS from POW list on adm to 4 cch ? or CGH
UK 11May45 Cpl Y95 June 45

???nd SOS to 1C. Recep D on dish hosp UK 15 may 45 CPL 10 June 45

1CDN Recep Depot TOS ? Y3-1CRD UK 15 May 45 CPL 201 d/aug45

1CDN Recep Depot gtd ? 16 days SPL with mailr 15 to 31 May UK 15 May CPL 201| 7 aug 45

1CDN Recep Depot SOS to # 1 Cdn Report Depot Uk 3June45 Cpl 201| 7 Aug 45

1CDN Report Depot SOS CDN Army [O/S] &No.1 N.E.T.D. UK 20 June45 Cpl PO ? 88B 20 June 45

Where I have ? that is because I couldn't make out the word or letter or number.

So that is what is on the service records. Hope you can decipher what it means.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing back.

Cheers...Dianne
Old 02-09-05, 22:49
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
I will try to copy what is on his service records, it is hand written and hard to read. Here goes:
Hi Dianne;

Give me a bit and I'll put it into 'Plain English' for you and post it here.

Cheers
Old 03-09-05, 02:09

Hi Mark:

I am a little confused about the ship my dad sailed on to UK from Halifax. By the way, I live just outside of Halifax.

Anyhow, I wrote to the archives a second time. When dad's records arrived and seemed to have little info that I could understand, I wrote a second time requesting the names of the ships he sailed to and from the UK. According to the archives he sailed to UK on the SS Athlone Castle on Sept 30, 1942 and returned on the SS Acquitania embarking UK for Halifax on 20 June 1945 to arrive on 26 and 27 JUne 1945.
So my question is who is correct, the archives or the service records? I always went by the service records as far as the dates were concerned and the names of the ships are not listed on the service records. And now you said that the FMR sailed on the SS Pasteur!!!! The mystery deepens!!!

The following is info on his service records from when he left Halifax until he arrived in the UK:

2.cd irv embarked sos Cdn A[C] Hlfx 29-9-42 PTE DO-242 Oct 11-42

2.cd irv TOS C.A. 0/5 Hlfx 30-9-42 Pte Do242 Oct 11/42

2.cd irv disembarked UK UK 7-10-42 PTE " " "

" " reported for duty " 8-10-42 " Do-242 11-10-42

SOS 2.cd.iru Sos to FMR F.UC DEm # 8481 UK 19Oct42 Pte 250 20Oct42

Anyhow, it is hard reading all this stuff and I hope you can make some sense of it!

I hope this is a help and I haven't confused the issue even more.

My main hope is I would like to know his exact location in East Sussex where he trained from Sept 42 until July 8th44 and where he was in Scotland.

My husband and I would like to go over there next year and I would like to visit the places where he stayed.

Anyhow, once again I look forward to hearing from you and I thank you for any info you can send me.

Cheers...Dianne
Old 03-09-05, 03:20
Vets Dottir

Hi Diane,

Welcome to the forum, and I can tell you right now that you've struck gold in coming here and finding Mark Tonner to help you find out more definate information about your father. He's amazing in how he comes up with tangible answers about things. He's been invaluable in his help to me in my own search for information about a special uncle in particular, but also others. Quite the education about lots of other information as well ... sounds like you're on a roll. Good stuff!

Good luck.

And Mark ... this for you from me just so's you know I don't forget

Karmen
Old 03-09-05, 05:53

Hi Karmen:

That's good to hear! I've been searching for months on other message boards and finally I found this one! You'll never guess where...but then you and all the others on this board are experts so you probably have already checked out www.feldgrau.com. Well it was a long shot!!I have a contact in Newhaven, UK and he said I should check it out but to be careful. I wanted some info on Stalag 357 where my dad was a guest of the German regime! LOL !! Anyhow no one answered my post. But I did find this board on their site.

I wonder what my dad would think of his daughter searching for his wartime experiences?

Cheers...Dianne
Old 03-09-05, 06:11
Vets Dottir

Hi Diane,

Off the top of my head, I would think he'd be very honoured and touched to know you care enough to learn what he experienced ... he'd be proud to call you daughter and be glad that you appreciate his service.

My one Uncle in particular, Ed, never got to experience being a "guest" .... but he did get to experience being a POW briefly right after D-Day ... then was executed along with many others June 8, 1944. I'm glad your Dad made it home to have a family and ... I'm glad you're finding out about his wartime experiences. Some of the stories must hurt to hear. If anything, as daughter, it sure helps to know and understand Dad better, and thats ALWAYS an awesome thing I'll be following this thread with great interest.

Must go now ... It's late and I'm really tired.

Oh ... by the way, I'm no expert on anything ... was a total civi and militarily ignorant when i joined here ... I slowly get educated on many things

Take care.

Karmen
Old 03-09-05, 15:02
GM Fox I

Default My $0.02 worth

Regimental shoulder flash and blue 2nd Infantry Division patch worn by the FMR from 1943 to the end of the war:
Attached Images

Old 03-09-05, 19:59
Senior Forum Member

Hi Dianne;

Into plain English, hope it makes sense to you:

Quote:

SOS CDN Army [O/S] & No 1 N.E.T.B. Cpl 20June 45 #1 report UK 88b 20June 45 - this says: Stricken off Strength (SOS) of the Canadian Army (Overseas) and off the Strength of No. 1 Non-Effective Transit Depot - effective 20 Jun 45 - at the rank of Corporal

TOS from C.A. [O/S] reported 28 June 45 XUK 166
Granted leave [R.O. 5520[9] and ration allce
Art 196[4] FR &1 from June 29 45 to 28 Jul 45 - this says: Taken on Strength (TOS) from the Canadian Army (Overseas) on 28 Jun 45. XUK 166 is the draft serial number that he came home on. He was given leave from 29 Jun to 28 Jul 45 under authority of Routine Order No. 5520, paragraph 9, with a ration allowance, granted under authority of Article 196, paragraph 4, Field Regulations and Instructions

SOS discharged [r.o. 1029 para 5]
Add. On Discharge 6676 Jogues St. MOntreal 20 June
granted $100.00 clothing allowance [Art 186 [1] Fr & 1
and 30 days pay of rank [r.o.4415] - this says: he was dischanged from the Canadian Army (effective 20 Jun 45)under the authority of Routine Order No. 1029, paragraph 5 and that his residence upon discharge was to be at 6676 Jogues St. Montreal and that he was granted a $100.00 clothing allowance under authority of Article 186, paragraph 1, Field Regulations and Instructions, and that he was granted 30 days paid leave at the rank of Corporal under the authority of Routine Order No. 4415

T 3 1 C Recep D TOS from POW list on adm to 4 cch ? or CGH
UK 11May45 Cpl Y95 June 45 - this says: that from the Canadian List of POWs (the X1 List), he was Taken on Strength of the Y9 List (Category)(No. 1 Canadian Reception Depot) and was admitted to No. 4 Canadian General Hospital, R.C.A.M.C., which was located at Farnborough, Hampshire (the Aldershot General Hospital), on 11 May 45

???nd SOS to 1C. Recep D on dish hosp UK 15 may 45 CPL 10 June 45 - this says: on 15 May 45 he was discharged from No. 4 CGH and stricken off strength of the Y9 List (Category)(No. 1 Canadian Reception Depot)

1CDN Recep Depot TOS ? Y3-1CRD UK 15 May 45 CPL 201 d/aug45 - this says: on 15 May 45 he was taken on the strength of the Y3 List (Hospital Case)(No. 1 Canadian Reception Depot)

1CDN Recep Depot gtd ? 16 days SPL with mailr 15 to 31 May UK 15 May CPL 201| 7 aug 45 - this says: he was granted special leave (from No. 1 Canadian Reception Depot) within the UK from 15 to 31 May 45

1CDN Recep Depot SOS to # 1 Cdn Report Depot Uk 3June45 Cpl 201| 7 Aug 45 - this says: that on 3 Jun 45 he was stricken off strength of No. 1 Canadian Reception Depot and taken on strength of No. 1 Canadian Repatriation Depot, in the UK - this would be where his papers and everything else was got in order before leaving the UK for home

1CDN Report Depot SOS CDN Army [O/S] &No.1 N.E.T.D. UK 20 June45 Cpl PO ? 88B 20 June 45 - this says: Stricken off Strength (SOS) of the Canadian Army (Overseas) and off the Strength of No. 1 Non-Effective Transit Depot (No. 1 Canadian Repatriation Depot) - effective 20 Jun 45 - at the rank of Corporal - the start of his trip home

Cheers
Old 03-09-05, 20:45
Senior Forum Member

Hi Dianne;

Quote:
I am a little confused about the ship my dad sailed on to UK from Halifax. By the way, I live just outside of Halifax.

Anyhow, I wrote to the archives a second time. When dad's records arrived and seemed to have little info that I could understand, I wrote a second time requesting the names of the ships he sailed to and from the UK. According to the archives he sailed to UK on the SS Athlone Castle on Sept 30, 1942 and returned on the SS Acquitania embarking UK for Halifax on 20 June 1945 to arrive on 26 and 27 JUne 1945.
So my question is who is correct, the archives or the service records? I always went by the service records as far as the dates were concerned and the names of the ships are not listed on the service records. And now you said that the FMR sailed on the SS Pasteur!!!! The mystery deepens!!! - if the archives have him on the SS Athlone Castle, that would be the one I'd go with because their information that they sent you probably came from the list of names of personnel carried - not all of the FMR reinforcements may have been carried on the S.S. Pasteur, there may have been other FMR 'drafts' spread throughout the convoy, also, the ships of the convoy may have left their respective piers on 29 Sep 42, but then the convoy would have 'formed up' before starting their actual crossing on 30 Sep.

The following is info on his service records from when he left Halifax until he arrived in the UK:

2.cd irv embarked sos Cdn A[C] Hlfx 29-9-42 PTE DO-242 Oct 11-42 - this says: that on 29 Sep 42 he was stricken off the strength of the Canadian Army (Canada) - the 2.cd irv is the parent unit of the draft he was on leaving Canada - 2nd Canadian Divisional Infantry Reinforcement Unit (the FMR being in the 6th Infantry Brigade of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division), his rank at this time was Private

2.cd irv TOS C.A. 0/5 Hlfx 30-9-42 Pte Do242 Oct 11/42 - this says: that he was taken on strength of the Canadian Army (Overseas) on 30 Sep 42, this being the 'norm', a soldier leaving Canada was normally stricken off strength of the Canadian Army (here at home) on the day he 'embarked' and 'one day' out of Halifax, he was taken on strength of the Canadian Army (Overseas) - his unit being at this time 2nd Canadian Divisional Infantry Reinforcement Unit

" " reported for duty " 8-10-42 " Do-242 11-10-42 these both deal with his arrival in the UK - the docking of the ship and when he came off

SOS 2.cd.iru Sos to FMR F.UC DEm # 8481 UK 19Oct42 Pte 250 20Oct42 this says: that on 19 Oct 42, he was stricken off strength of 2nd Canadian Divisional Infantry Reinforcement Unit and taken on strength of Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal, in the UK

Anyhow, it is hard reading all this stuff and I hope you can make some sense of it!

My main hope is I would like to know his exact location in East Sussex where he trained from Sept 42 until July 8th44 and where he was in Scotland. you mentioned earlier about the FMR being in the LEWES area, where did you get that information from?

My husband and I would like to go over there next year and I would like to visit the places where he stayed. I'll dig out the locations for the Canadian units that I have mentioned in my replies and post them

Anyhow, once again I look forward to hearing from you and I thank you for any info you can send me.
Cheers
Old 03-09-05, 20:56
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Fusiliers Mont-Royal Les

Quote:
I would like to know what happened in the Stalag camp
A good reference, which you can probably obtain from your local Library, or if they don't have it, on an inter-library loan, is the book: IN ENEMY HANDS, Canadian Prisoners of War 1939-45; by Daniel G. Dancocks, published by Hurtig Publishers Ltd.; Edmonton, AB. (1983) (ISBN 0-88830-240-1).

Cheers
Old 04-09-05, 02:52
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Hi Mark:

So my question is who is correct, the archives or the service records? I always went by the service records as far as the dates were concerned and the names of the ships are not listed on the service records. And now you said that the FMR sailed on the SS Pasteur!!!! The mystery deepens!!!

My main hope is I would like to know his exact location in East Sussex where he trained from Sept 42 until July 8th44 and where he was in Scotland.

My husband and I would like to go over there next year and I would like to visit the places where he stayed.

Cheers...Dianne
Old 04-09-05, 02:55
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Hi Mark:

Cheers...Dianne
Personal note aside,...I arrived in Canada from UK aboard SS Aquitania 7 Feb 1947, pier 21, Halifax.
Old 04-09-05, 02:57
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Hi Dianne;

Into plain English, hope it makes sense to you:

Cheers
Mark... Picky, picky, picky...but don't you mean "Struck off Strength", vice "Stricken off Strength"?
Old 04-09-05, 03:15
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Mark... Picky, picky, picky...but don't you mean "Struck off Strength", vice "Stricken off Strength"?
Hi Jon;

I've actually seen and read it being used either/or, I usually use 'Stricken off Strength' when answering questions related to a Record of Service entry, but to each his own I guess.

Cheers
Old 04-09-05, 05:28

Hi Mark:

Thanks for translating my dad's service records. They make more sense now.

You asked me how I knew the FMR headquarters was in Lewes....well way back when, I posted a message on the Wartime Memories Project and Peter Mason of Newhaven suggested that I should check out the cdnregiments board which I did. I read all the messages for the past 3 years [I don't get out much! LOL] and I found Report # 41 dated 9 Aug 41
Ref. Ordnance Survey Eng and Wales CDN Military HQ
Movement of Second CDN Division to South Coast
The Director Historical Section General Staff
National Defence HQ. Ottawa, Canada

In that report it is stated that the battalion FMR is already noted in reserve in the Lewes area with HQ in Lewes, East Sussex. ......this implies to me that the unit was spread out in camps or billeted in the town and only HQ at Astley House in Lewes.

Peter Mason is the treasurer at the Newhaven Museum in Newhaven, UK. He also sent me the email for the Sussex newspaper and they printed my request to hear from people who may know of the FMR. Well, I had no idea what kind of response I'd get but it was fantastic!

Several people confirmed that FMR HQ was in Lewes. They sent me pictures of Astley House as well as the old Naval Prison where some of the FMR were billeted.

I was also told that some FMR were in Iford, south of Lewes. Also many knew of the FMR from the Dieppe Raid. One gentleman sent me pictures of the Canadian Memorial in Newhaven.

But I still don't know where my dad was billeted!!! I know for a fact that he lived in a tin hut while in UK. He told my mom in a letter and I have several pictures of him standing beside one. In a letter dated Dec 25/42 to my mom he complains that the tin huts are cold, can only heat them at night and they are poorly lit, they are lit by oil lamps.

I know what you are thinking??? Well, maybe not, I mustn't make assumptions!! No, in all my dad's letters to my mom, he never once said where he was exactly. I do know for a fact that he was in East Sussex because he did tell me that years ago and that he was near my great grandmother's town, Newhaven, but never got to visit her. He mentions her several times in his letters.

Another report that I found on the cdnregiments board was Report # 85 by Major C.P.Stacy, Historical Officer CDN Military HQ Oct. 30/42

And on page 11 Transports in Convoy Troop Convoys N.A. 1-N.A. 16

I found that section very interesting and of course the ship info that you sent me was in that report.

Well this is all I can think of right now. And thank goodness, you're all saying!!

I lookforward to hearing from you again.....Thanks.....Dianne
Old 04-09-05, 05:37

Hi Jon:

Were you returning to Canada from the war in 1947 or were you coming to Canada with your mom and was she a war bride? As you know Pier 21 has a very important place in Canadian history. My husband and I have visited there several times with out of town guests, well worth visiting.

Cheers....Dianne
Old 04-09-05, 05:46

Hi Bruce...thanks for the image of the shoulder flash etc. it's been a long time since I last saw them.....Di
Old 04-09-05, 06:02
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Hi Jon:

Were you returning to Canada from the war in 1947 or were you coming to Canada with your mom and was she a war bride? As you know Pier 21 has a very important place in Canadian history. My husband and I have visited there several times with out of town guests, well worth visiting.

Cheers....Dianne
Dianne:

No, I was just a 7 year old kid, immigrating with my grandparents and mother.

I think that this "austerity" voyage was the last for the Aquitania. Her structure was failing...apparently, one could push a pencil through the metal of one of her four funnels, she was so rusty.

Thence to Faslane, Scotland for scrapping.
Old 04-09-05, 14:50
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Hi Mark:

Thanks for translating my dad's service records. They make more sense now.

You asked me how I knew the FMR headquarters was in Lewes....well way back when, I posted a message on the Wartime Memories Project and Peter Mason of Newhaven suggested that I should check out the cdnregiments board which I did. I read all the messages for the past 3 years [I don't get out much! LOL] and I found Report # 41 dated 9 Aug 41
Ref. Ordnance Survey Eng and Wales CDN Military HQ
Movement of Second CDN Division to South Coast
The Director Historical Section General Staff
National Defence HQ. Ottawa, Canada

In that report it is stated that the battalion FMR is already noted in reserve in the Lewes area with HQ in Lewes, East Sussex. ......this implies to me that the unit was spread out in camps or billeted in the town and only HQ at Astley House in Lewes.

Peter Mason is the treasurer at the Newhaven Museum in Newhaven, UK. He also sent me the email for the Sussex newspaper and they printed my request to hear from people who may know of the FMR. Well, I had no idea what kind of response I'd get but it was fantastic!

Several people confirmed that FMR HQ was in Lewes. They sent me pictures of Astley House as well as the old Naval Prison where some of the FMR were billeted.

I was also told that some FMR were in Iford, south of Lewes. Also many knew of the FMR from the Dieppe Raid. One gentleman sent me pictures of the Canadian Memorial in Newhaven.

But I still don't know where my dad was billeted!!! I know for a fact that he lived in a tin hut while in UK. He told my mom in a letter and I have several pictures of him standing beside one. In a letter dated Dec 25/42 to my mom he complains that the tin huts are cold, can only heat them at night and they are poorly lit, they are lit by oil lamps.

I know what you are thinking??? Well, maybe not, I mustn't make assumptions!! No, in all my dad's letters to my mom, he never once said where he was exactly. I do know for a fact that he was in East Sussex because he did tell me that years ago and that he was near my great grandmother's town, Newhaven, but never got to visit her. He mentions her several times in his letters.

Another report that I found on the cdnregiments board was Report # 85 by Major C.P.Stacy, Historical Officer CDN Military HQ Oct. 30/42

And on page 11 Transports in Convoy Troop Convoys N.A. 1-N.A. 16

I found that section very interesting and of course the ship info that you sent me was in that report.

Well this is all I can think of right now. And thank goodness, you're all saying!!

I lookforward to hearing from you again.....Thanks.....Dianne
Hi Dianne;

Reference LEWES, you found the reports (CMHQ and AHQ) that I was going to direct you to, which is good. If you have any other questions, please ask, the people here are glad to help and MA (aka Karmen) adds 'colour' commentary and 'comic' relief to all.

Cheers
Old 05-09-05, 06:14

Hi Mark:

Thanks for deciphering dad's war records and for all the other info.

Do you think there is any way of finding out exactly where in East Sussex he was billeted?

Also the place he rehabilitated in Scotland? I know it was near Kilmarnock and that he visited Robbie Burns Cottage in Alloway. He was billeted on a farm and he said the people were really wonderful.

The reason I want to know as much as possible is I am working on my family tree and I want to write a biography of my dad and of course the war years played a significant part of his life.

Do you think it would be advantageous to borrow the regimental diaries?

Anyhow, once again many thanks!

Cheers...Dianne
Old 05-09-05, 06:32

Hi Karmen:

I was sorry to learn of your Uncle Fred and what happened to him. Did you know him? When I hear stories like that I am very thankful my dad returned from the war. My mom said he was a changed man when he came home. He had really bad nightmares and we didn't dare get to close to him if he was asleep because he would suddenly lash out and pity the kid who got too close!

My husband, daughter and I visited Normandy, France in 1990. Before we went I asked dad to at least tell me where in France he saw action. We visited those areas and of course visited the Canadian Cemeteries. Dad's best friend was killed on Aug 8, 1944 and shortly after my dad was captured. We have photos of Albert's grave, in Bretteville-Sur-Laise. It was a very moving experience! I gave dad a set of those photos and for the first time in my life I saw my dad cry. My dad passed away in 1992 and it still causes me to want to cry!

Anyhow, this is all for now.

Take care...Dianne
Old 05-09-05, 18:57
Senior Forum Member

Hi Dianne;

Quote:

Do you think there is any way of finding out exactly where in East Sussex he was billeted?

Do you think it would be advantageous to borrow the regimental diaries?

In answer to the above two questions, this is the information for three of the FMR's War Diaries that cover the time that your father spent with the Battalion (1942-1944). These can be borrowed from Library and Archives Canada on an inter-Library loan. You said that you live outside of Halifax, so you may have to go into the city to view these since they are on microfilm and it is usually only the main branch of a city library that would have a reader. You can contact your local library and ask them the route to take in obtaining these on an inter-library loan. The details for the three diaries in question are:
---------------------------------------------------
Reference: RG24 , National Defence , Series C-3 , Volume 17511
Serial : 187 ,
File Title: Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal
Outside Dates: 1942/06-1943/05
Finding Aid number: 24-60
-----------------------------------------------------
Reference: RG24 , National Defence , Series C-3 , Volume 15064
Outside Dates: 1943/06-1944/01
------------------------------------------------------
Reference: RG24 , National Defence , Series C-3 , Volume 15065
Outside Dates: 1944/02-1944/11
-----------------------------------------------------

You would have to know which Company (or Companies)("A", "B", "C" or "D") of the FMR your father was with to determine where he was at a given point in time, when using the War Diaries as a reference. The Company locations for their positions in East Sussex (Newhaven area) would be recorded

Also the place he rehabilitated in Scotland? I know it was near Kilmarnock and that he visited Robbie Burns Cottage in Alloway. He was billeted on a farm and he said the people were really wonderful.

Would this rehabilitation have been during the period of 15 to 31 May 1945?

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 05-09-05, 19:05
Vets Dottir

Hi Dianne,

My Uncle's name was "Edward aka Ed aka Eddie" ...and yes, what atrocities happened to my Uncle and all the other defenceless executed POWS was outrageous and awful.

No, I never met Uncle Ed as I wasn't born until 1954 ... what I did meet was the sadness and loss my family still felt keenly, always ... for losing Uncle Ed June 8/44, AND Uncle Phillip on D-Day ... Phillip and Ed were brothers-inlaw ... as Phillip was married to Ed's sister (my Aunty Annie) My cousin Phillip (aka Bobbie) and his Dad Phillip, never got to meet each other I'm so glad that your Dad made it home.

I understand a lot of the afterwards impacts and reactions of "was never the same" ... nightmares and all the other ways soldiers and their families were effected by what I call "the hangover effects". I wish I could give psychological and spiritual peace to all people who've experienced these things. The grief runs so deep and hard for so many. As does our grief when we lose our Dad's ... it's awful, too, as their kids, to see our parents suffer from what they've been through ... especially during the wars they were part of. I certainly understand my Uncles better as I learn more and more about their service histories. I feel a lot of pride, and sadness, for them all. And yes, love

I'm glad you made it to Normandy ... I'd love to visit my Uncle's in Beny-Sur-Mer one day ... that must have been so moving to be there.

Now, you mention your interests in searching is about geneology/family history and writing it down ... that's basically what brought me here too ... and what holds me here still, but now ALSO what holds me here is everybody picking on me and I have to rise to challenge and get 'em back There really are a bunch of loonies in here.

I'm glad to consider them all my worthy opponants for my

Now back to you,

Karmen
Old 05-09-05, 19:49
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
There really are a bunch of loonies in here.
Now that is the 'Pot' calling the 'Kettle' black........

... Vote MA ....for QUEEN LOONIE.....
Old 06-09-05, 19:36

Smile

Hi Mark:

Thanks for the info on the FMR Diaries and I'll be looking into that soon.

On one of my dad's letters he wrote D Coy, so does that mean he was with D Company?

And yes his rehab was between May 15 to May 31, 1945, in Scotland.

Once again, I am very grateful for your help!

And this is for Karmen....I am very grateful my dad returned from the war cause if he didn't I wouldn't be here today bugging you gus for info!!! LOL!!!

So take care everybody and you will hear from me again, no doubt!

Dianne