MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 19-01-23, 05:23

Ed

I never said the assault jerkins were no good in fact I said they were better.

What I did say is the idea was not new and they never replaced the standard webbing throughout the forces and the bulk continued with their normal stuff. A lot of that safari vest/jerkin heritage can be found in modern equipment.

The photo of the reproduction is far superior to anything I have seen to demonstrate the fine detail to those - including me - who are not up with all the serial numbers but are interested to see what is being talked about.

It is interesting that people get defensive when something is not praised or at least accepted just because it was used in service. Times must have been better then because in my time in the army I was confronted with lots of probably expensive but very inferior fit-for-purpose items. I did a stint in UK in the 70's and was equally disappointed by some of their stuff we were given.

The most amazing thing to me is since the time of the Egyptians no army in the world was able to keep their soldiers perfectly dry in all weather with active rain gear. Jockey sized men would weigh as much as Sumo wrestlers after a wet day as their wool or heavy cotton coats soaked up the water. All sorts of oiled and rubberised capes restricted action while leaking water through seams and the back of your neck.

I reckon the Vikings and Mongols got close with their fur and hide outfits but we probably would have run out of bears, reindeer and foxes to equip modern million man arnies.

Yachtsmen and mountain climbers were ahead of the game and I am sure if it was not for Mr Gore and his fellow synthetic pioneers around the world soldiers would still be miserable. Not just comfort but how many casualties from exposure/hypothermia could have been saved.

The stuff the boys have now more than likely in most armies is absolutely outstanding.
Old 19-01-23, 05:58

This video seems a really good overview of the use of the jerkin. I suppose I like it because he supports my opinion on the 37 pattern webbing - at least 2 of us think that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtG08g3yj8

Last edited by Lang; 19-01-23 at 08:10.