MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 13-09-21, 23:53
Toby Baillie

Default Artillery Piece for Bowning War Memorial

Good Morning Dear Friends,

I'm on the scrounge this morning! I've been asked by some friends in Bowning if I can find anyone who can give me a lead on a Gun they are willing to sell or donate so they can mount it at the Bowning War Memorial (Bowning, New South Wales, Australia).

They've done the rounds of the usual suspects (Defence, AWM etc.) and had no luck, so I thought I'd put it out here, where the collected knowledge and wisdom of ages may score us a find!

They're not terribly fussed on what sort of gun and they're happy to do whatever work is required to make it safe for public display.

Please feel free to post here or direct message me if you know of anything.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Toby
Old 14-09-21, 02:29
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willanthry View Post

I'm on the scrounge this morning! I've been asked by some friends in Bowning if I can find anyone who can give me a lead on a Gun they are willing to sell or donate so they can mount it at the Bowning War Memorial (Bowning, New South Wales, Australia).

They've done the rounds of the usual suspects (Defence, AWM etc.) and had no luck, so I thought I'd put it out here, where the collected knowledge and wisdom of ages may score us a find!

They're not terribly fussed on what sort of gun and they're happy to do whatever work is required to make it safe for public display.

Toby
Not a genuine war relic, but have you given any thought to casting a new sculpture of something? There are probably bronze artists looking for commissions, foundries looking for work, and boat yards wondering how to pay their workers. The Rhodesians made an incredible lifelike statue of an RLI trooper; would some Australian like to immortalize a Digger (or later figure)?

I suggest a statue for a few other reasons. First hasn't Australia, and it is my outsider's observation, has gone dead set against representations of firearms? A genuine artillery piece might rile up a few self-appointed guardians of all that is good and pure. Maybe not right now, but in a decade when the current support fades. Secondly, an artist's commission could be subsidized by more than one level of government - as a public display of generousity. Finally, in my experience, military artifacts on public display are perishable to rust and rot, but also to vandalism. Who would gratuitously break off pieces of 'art'?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 14-09-21, 06:54
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
..would some Australian like to immortalize a Digger (or later figure)?..
Even current day Serving Members are called "Digger". It's a hard-won title they won't drop real soon.
Old 14-09-21, 06:57
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willanthry View Post

I'm on the scrounge this morning! I've been asked by some friends in Bowning if I can find anyone who can give me a lead on a Gun they are willing to sell

Toby
It depends on their budget, but there will possibly be something in the next few months in the Rod Bellars Auction.