MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 24-02-23, 13:58

Default Knock Down Kit B24-H

Apparently these were produced at Ford’s Willow Run factory and shipped via rail to Tulsa for full assembly.

David
Attached Thumbnails
F9AF9350-4D40-4FDD-BEF2-C37C3672EF8A.jpeg  
Old 24-02-23, 20:53
MLU Administrator

That’s amazing, wouldn’t it be a dream to find a crated B24?!? I’m sure you can find it next to the crated Jeep for $50…

All kidding aside, I think the B24 is underrated as a bomber. It was more capable and versatile than the B17 which may look “better”. Probably because of media attention in “Memphis Belle”?
Old 25-02-23, 00:22
GM Fox I

If you like B-24 bombers, or are in awe of the mighty WW2 American production capability (or just how complicated a WW2 bomber is), try this video on the Willow Run plant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2zu...=PeriscopeFilm
Old 25-02-23, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
All kidding aside, I think the B24 is underrated as a bomber. It was more capable and versatile than the B17 which may look “better”. Probably because of media attention in “Memphis Belle”?
It also doesn’t look as slick, which probably explains why the media liked the B-17 better, and IIRC, the B-24 had a reputation for not being as easy to fly.

Sort of aside: some years ago, I went to the war museum in Ramskapelle, Belgium. On driving up, the first thing I saw was the whole forward fuselage of a B-24 on the lawn outside … That turned out to be a 1:1 scale plywood replica made for a film, as I recall, but still, it was rather impressive.
Old 26-02-23, 04:11

B24 vs B17 Production

Lots of pro's and cons. The B-24 carried more and flew considerably faster and further than a B-17. The B-17 was an easier aircraft to fly with its fat old fashioned Clark wing and much more room for the crew (except tail gunner where B-24 won out). The B-24 with its high-speed laminar-flow wing, like the P-51 Mustang, was often constrained in Europe by having to slow down to B-17 speed to enable mass formation operations. The B-24 found its role in the Pacific and SE Asia where its long range and ability to fly more safely at lower more comfortable levels produced first class results. Opinion still rages and after 80 years none of the opinion makers has ever flown a B-17 or B-24 and many of them have never seen one in the flesh
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot (401).jpg   Screenshot (400).jpg  

Last edited by Lang; 26-02-23 at 04:25.