MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 06-02-04, 07:13

Default Paging Colin Stevens

I understand you may be on this site, and I am glad to see your interests are still in MV's etc. Good on ya.

It's been many years Colin! I hope all is well with you. I have not seen you since the Saskatchewan days.

Anyways email me on feral99@hotmail.com as we should catch up.

Regards,

Wes Allen
Sydney
Old 06-02-04, 07:23

Colin,

Here is a recent pic, taken at AASAM International Small Arms Championships at Greenbank Rifle Range, South western Brisbane, Queensland in November of 2003. It was another late night in the outdoor mess, with many beers put to bed, so hence I look a bit weary. Hope to here from ya.

Cheers and beers,

Wes
Attached Thumbnails
im001672.jpg  
Old 06-02-04, 07:25

See for yourself. All armies are the same, only the accents, kit and technology change.
Attached Thumbnails
im001669.jpg  
Old 06-02-04, 18:52
M38A1 CDN3

Default Ranges

Quote:
Originally posted by RAEMETIFFYSGT
Colin,

Here is a recent pic, taken at AASAM International Small Arms Championships at Greenbank Rifle Range, South western Brisbane, Queensland in November of 2003. It was another late night in the outdoor mess, with many beers put to bed, so hence I look a bit weary. Hope to here from ya.

Cheers and beers,

Wes
First question: (and it's a long shot!)...have you run across a Canadian shooter by the name of Captain Greg Betts?

Secondly, what is the name of the cam design of your combat dress? It's not Woodland, not CADPAT, not any other pattern I've seen before. Elucidate, svp.
Old 06-02-04, 18:55
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Ranges

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
First question: (and it's a long shot!)...have you run across a Canadian shooter by the name of Captain Greg Betts?

Secondly, what is the name of the cam design of your combat dress? It's not Woodland, not CADPAT, not any other pattern I've seen before. Elucidate, svp.
BTW, do you use rank slip ons with that order of dress, or only sewn on rank?
Old 06-02-04, 22:08

Hi John,

Well its a small world. In 2003, the Cdn Forces did NOT send a team to Australia, but in 2002, they did, and I meet CAPT Greg Betts, along with others from the CF team. He was a big bloke, and if I remember correctly a Militia officer from Ontario, as there was another Militia CPL from the LSSR too, who also knew a WO I used to know from the LSSR by the name of Paul Maybroda. Again truly a small world.

Greg and I had many conversations and beers at the outdoor all ranks mess at the GBTA, and we went in a few times to the Greenbank RSL (our Legion) for a few beer.

He is a good bloke, and I was disappointed that the Cdn's along with the French did not send a team last November. However there were 9 other nations who did show. I hope the CF sends a team out in 2004.

I drove the GMV (pictured on post war vehs) from Sydney to Brisbane ( a total of 4 days driving time) for this tasking. That was my second AASAM, and my task was to provide RAEME support strictly for the international shooters, so there was work to be done on a variety of weapons like the Singaporian SAR-21, the M16A2, M4, Malaysian, and NZ AUGs, the US M240B, the UK (upgraded by HK) L85A2, and L86A2, etc. The Fijians even have a M16A2 LMG which is mag fed, but fires from an open bolt!

Now about the AUSCAM uniforms, first off they come in the pattern pictured, and in desert. Name tags are also AUSCAM and worn on the right hand side, sewn on an angle to match the 'pixies' pockets. AUSCAM started to come into service in 1983, but it was about 1987 or 88 when it was general issue. Close up it looks like some Canadian Tire duck hunters special, but as it gets dirty, and from a distance its the best thing ever. Its a poly-cotton blend, but for RAAC and RAEME we have full cotton types as they are more flame retardant (for welding etc)

All rank is worn on the sleeve for ORs, and officers wear their rank on 'sliders' on the epaulettes. Rank system is the British pip system. The nomenclature for the uniform pictured is DPCU AUSCAM, meaning Disruptive Pattern Camouglage Uniform, AUSCAM (Australian Camoflage).

Here is a pic of the smock we use, and to me, it resembles the USA WW2 DDay type in pocket set up.

if you run into Greg, pass on my regards.

Cheers,

Wes

PS - Wanna see AASAM pics and more? Go to google, and do a search for the L1A1 Armourer, and follow the links.
Attached Thumbnails
im001287.jpg  

Last edited by RAEMETIFFYSGT; 06-02-04 at 22:18.
Old 06-02-04, 22:24

AUSCAM NBCD in the field....
Attached Thumbnails
im001355.jpg  
Old 06-02-04, 22:28

Default Thank God for the Salvos

Australian Salvation Army Defence Services.

A service unique to Australia, and in every conflict, the Sally Man has been there. These green Land Rovers are full of cold drinks, biscuts, and soup, and coffeee in the winters. A great morale booster to the troops after some hard yakka.

The Sally Man is usually a CAPT in the Salvation Army, and he too wears an AUSCAM uniform with SA rank.

Here after some hard work, the lads gather for a cold drink. See how the AUSCAM fits into the local surroundings.
Attached Thumbnails
im001335.jpg  
Old 06-02-04, 22:30

Here is the Salvation Army Captain on the right. Note the rank...
Cheers,

Wes
Attached Thumbnails
im001336.jpg  
Old 06-02-04, 22:36

One last pic for now......

Some of the latest in webbing. This is the AUSCAM cordura South African Pattern webbing M-83. Holds ten 30rd mags, a few accessory pouches (compass, FAD, etc), two good large kidney pouches, and a Camelbak 3 litre hydration pack in the centre. The only thing I salvaged from my Cdn 1982 ptrn was the KFS holder, located on the right back.

Also on the belt is an Australian contract Buck M9 (with ADF 'crows foot' on blade), and the rifle is the 5.56 x 45mm F88SA1 Austeyr, an AUG A2 made under licence at ADI-L (the old SAF at Lithgow, about 2.5hrs west of Sydney, over the Blue Mtns).

The magazine pictured is of 20rd capacity, as it was obtained from the Malaysian Army. Its great for confined spaces in which a standard ADF 30rd mag would get in the way.

Regards,

Wes
Attached Thumbnails
im001344.jpg  

Last edited by RAEMETIFFYSGT; 07-02-04 at 03:07.
Old 07-02-04, 15:46
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default AUSCAM and 3-colour schemes

Quote:
Close up it looks like some Canadian Tire duck hunters special, but as it gets dirty, and from a distance its the best thing ever.
The 3 colour cam scheme applied to Wes's GMV and all Aust Army vehicles also has excellent camoflage properties when dirty. In the photo below, you might just be able to make out a Land Rover!
Attached Thumbnails
scan10009.jpg  
Old 07-02-04, 18:22
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Paging Colin Stevens

Quote:
Originally posted by RAEMETIFFYSGT
I understand you may be on this site, and I am glad to see your interests are still in MV's etc. Good on ya.

It's been many years Colin! I hope all is well with you. I have not seen you since the Saskatchewan days.

Anyways email me on feral99@hotmail.com as we should catch up.

Regards,

Wes Allen
Sydney
Wes, if Colin has not yet contacted you, try colin@pacdat.com.

Regards