MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 04-03-06, 23:16
Film maker, CMP addict

Default A rare formation

The aircraft in this formation all share something in common, having all been built by Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation. I took the pic yesterday at Temora.

From bottom to top:

Boomerang, Wirraway, Winjeel and Ceres at the top. Possibly the first time these aircraft have ever flown together and the poor Boomerang was having a lot of trouble hanging in there at such a low speed.
Attached Thumbnails
formation.jpg  

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 05-03-06, 02:58
Dog Robber

Hi Keith:
Aircraft are not my thing, but I had a rare experience today here in a suburb of Atlanta, Ga. USA.

We have a commercial aviation airfield about 5 km from my store that has a fairly long runway as they cater to corporate jets.

I have not found out yet the details, but in any case, someone was doing 30 minute tours with a B-17 from this airfield today and I was privileged to be at the end of the runway on one of it's takeoffs.

$400 US per pop, and if I had the pocket change I would have done it.

It was configured as a chin turret job from what I could see, the chin turret being rather low in the front and I could not see if it had two or four machine guns. Of course, all fake or demilitarized but it did have machine gun barrels sticking out everywhere.

The sound was incredible and in a very distant way reminded me of my childhood when I lived in San Diego, California 1941-1944 in an area surrounded by Navy Air bases, Marine Corps Air Bases and what I remember as the Convair/Consolidated/Vultee plant by the harbour. Probably remember the name wrong but I do remember this huge plant off of the main highway that was still painted and draped with cammo as late as 1955.

Nostalgia really is great.
Bill
Old 05-03-06, 04:32

As a Dutchman commented when hearing a B24 flying for the first time in many years.

To us it was the sound of FREEDOM

Regards

Col Tigwell
Old 05-03-06, 05:16
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Freedom

What a great comment... I spent much of the day interviewing vets - one chappie whom I'll interview properly next time is a very modest sort of a chap - flew Hueys in Vietnam and I recently found he'd been awarded the DFC so I asked him why... it was for several missions rescuing SAS guys in incredibly dangerous situations - hair raising stories and I think that sort of bravery deserves the VC. But such a matter-of-fact shy guy.

As for the B-17s - what a sound that must be - 4 Wright Cyclones at close quarters. Wow. Sounds like the G model with chin turret.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 05-03-06, 10:28
Film maker, CMP addict

Default More pics

Here are a few more pics from the weekend.

This is David Lowy, founder and president of the Temora Aviation Museum.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 05-03-06, 16:10
Richard Notton

Default 70 Years today. . . . . . . . .

And, to the hour marking the first flight of K5054, some 4 aircraft of later variants will take off from Eastleigh Airport, some 10 miles west of me; about 52 mins from now as I type.

We'll see if anything comes overhead. . . . . . . . . . .

R.
Old 05-03-06, 16:12
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Overhead

Grab the camera and long lens!

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 05-03-06, 16:56
Derek Heuring

Default Re: A rare formation

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
The aircraft in this formation all share something in common, having all been built by Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation. I took the pic yesterday at Temora.
Great shots Keith! By the way...what's the Boomerang's stall speed? I'll bet it came close if it was on the inside of any echelon turns!
Here's a neophyte question for you, to upload audio to MLU, do I need any special software or do I simply upload sound as I do pics? Reason I ask is the Colling's Foundation out of Houston, Texas will be displaying some of their aircraft at Dallas' Love Field the first week of April. They're sending their B-17, B-24, and their B-25. The opportunity to record the sound of four Wright R-1820's, four Pratt & Whitney R-1830's and two Wright R-2600's is too good to miss!

Keep the great pics coming Keith! Thanks!

CHIMO!
Old 05-03-06, 19:00
RIP

Default B-17G Flying Fortress

As I'm reading these threads down here in the basement den,I'm staring up at a B-17 on a flying calendar.It's an all aluminum colored aircraft and it's name is "Aluminum Overcast".The rear tail fin and wings are painted red.It's a "G" model.The serial number is " 30H",and it travels all over the USA.Could this have been the plane you saw Bill or was it the Collins Foundation aircraft.I think theirs is painted green with a cloud colored underbody ??
Old 05-03-06, 22:21
Dog Robber

I will check tomorrow, Garry. I just called the special events office at the airfield but they were already closed.
The one I saw/heard was silver with a large design on the tail that I could not see well from my vantage point which was directly underneath the airplane.
I will let you know what I find out.
Although I did not see it due to building interference, I heard it again today going over my shop.
Bill
Old 05-03-06, 22:37
RIP

Default It may be the plane

The tail has a red background.At the top in the red background is a black triangle with the letter "W" inwhite.Underneath in the red background painted in yellow is the number 212516,and under that on the red background in yellow is the letter "H".The plane is silver or natural aluminum.I think you're seeing "Aluminum Overcast" bill.Good luck in your query

Garry
Old 05-03-06, 22:49
Derek Heuring

Default Re: B-17G Flying Fortress

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
As I'm reading these threads down here in the basement den,I'm staring up at a B-17 on a flying calendar.It's an all aluminum colored aircraft and it's name is "Aluminum Overcast".The rear tail fin and wings are painted red.It's a "G" model.The serial number is " 30H",and it travels all over the USA.Could this have been the plane you saw Bill or was it the Collins Foundation aircraft.I think theirs is painted green with a cloud colored underbody ??
The Collings' B-17 is called "Nine O Nine" and has a black A in a white triangle on a red vertical stabilizer/rudder.

The Vintage Flying Museum in Fort Worth , Texas recently hosted the annual "B-17 CO-OP" where owner's, pilots, and restorers of this venerable aircraft from around the world met to discuss all matters related to operating B-17's. The biggest problem facing operators of B-17's currently is the F.A.A.'s Airworthiness Directive regarding the pins attaching the main spars to the fuselage. Over the decades these pins have been corroding and are therefore weakened, further, being of dissimilar metals there has been electrolysis and actual molecular transfer of metal between the pins and fuselage. To maintain one's C. of A. you must remove the pins and inspect each one. An immense undertaking that involves damaging the components if they are stuck fast. Our B-17 "Chuckie" was tied up for 4 years with a blown engine and this A.D. and only recently returned to flight. This A.D. is probably going to be the death knell for "Evergreen" out of Washington state.
Here are the current status of several of the world's B-17s:

Chuckie is currently flying and looking forward to a busy air show season

Thunderbird was recently repainted but having to move her out of Louisiana due to Katrina has affected her flight operations.

Liberty Bell got an exemption letter from the F.A.A. and flew over 125 hours in 2005.

Picadilly Lilly is currently not flying for corrosion control and work is slowly progressing.

Desert rat is having work done on it's fuselage and is currently not flying.

Texas Raiders was also affected by the wing A.D. and has been down for three years. Hopes to return to air worthiness sometime this year.

Aluminum Overcast suffered a gear collapse while landing at Van Nuys in Ca. and suffered extensive damage last year. Will be flying again this spring.

Fuddy Duddy managed 325 hours of flight time in 2005 and has been sold to a new owner in Ca.

Yankee Lady appeared at over 30 air shows in 2005 for a total of 125 hours.

Sentimental Journey flew 150 hours in 2005 until a thunderstorm over Colorado with golfball sized hail smashed all her perspex.

Memphis Belle (yes, the original!) was moved from Memphis to N.A.S. Millington where it was undergoing restoration by volunteers. The work was progressing so nicely that the U.S.A.F. decided to take it for display at their Air Force museum.

There are several other B-17s that we know of that didn't send representatives: Boeing might be selling their B-17, Whittington's B-17 is still undergoing restoration, Sally B, a B-17 from England is apparently fighting insurance issues, Miss Angela, a B-17 from Palm Springs is restricted to crew only flights, Tallichet's B-17 is for sale, France's Pink Lady is apparently air worthy and operational, The Smithsonian's B-17 restoration has been shelved for now, Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby is being displayed at the Air Force Museum, and as mentioned earlier, Evergreen from washington State may never fly again due to the wing spar A.D.

Last edited by sapper740; 05-03-06 at 23:08.
Old 06-03-06, 01:03
Richard Notton

Default Re: Overhead

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Grab the camera and long lens!
Ah, that lives in the bag with the Minolta, something I can't be bothered to carry around or get film for, 'fraid its the pocket digital for convenience!

There were actually 5 aircraft and nice to see Alex Henshaw in the back seat of Carolyn Grace's aircraft.

Here's some links:
http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/m...portaltop.html

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...,00.html?f=rss

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/4775726.stm

R.
Old 06-03-06, 02:00

Bet Alex was very glad to be back in the seat too.

Ah Carolyn what a lovely lady, and a damn fine pilot to boot to.

Just goes to show that for every dead beat in the world, there are hundreds of really good people in this world.

Regards

Col Tigwell
Old 06-03-06, 19:24
Dog Robber

Garry:
My aircraft is the Liberty Bell and it flew over my house twice so far today
We are in the take-off pattern for the local airfield.
Bill