MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 27-02-06, 17:16
Derek Heuring

Default Latest American Rifleman and Clive Law

While reading March's issue of the "American Rifleman" I was pleasantly surprised to see a review of Clive M. Law's book "Without Warning...Canadian Sniper Equipment of the 20th Century." A good review was written by Mark Keefe and hopefully translates into increased sales for Mr. Law's books. Like I keep saying, it's a tough job educating my American friends that they didn't single handedly win WW II. Hopefully this book will help. Well done Clive!

CHIMO!
Old 27-02-06, 17:51
Dave Demorrow

you mean we didnt win it????
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 27-02-06, 18:13
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by alleramilitaria
you mean we didnt win it????

Yes Dave, WE won the war. With the emphasis on WE. Canada and the U.S. won the war together.

CHIMO!
Old 27-02-06, 19:15
RIP

Default Re: Latest American Rifleman and Clive Law

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
While reading March's issue of the "American Rifleman" I was pleasantly surprised to see a review of Clive M. Law's book "Without Warning...Canadian Sniper Equipment of the 20th Century." A good review was written by Mark Keefe and hopefully translates into increased sales for Mr. Law's books. Like I keep saying, it's a tough job educating my American friends that they didn't single handedly win WW II. Hopefully this book will help. Well done Clive!

CHIMO!
I am grateful to Mark Keefe, Editor of American Rifleman. He is a supporter of all of my gun books and is a collector of things Lee-Enfield. Obviously, if your book is to be reviewed, better it be done by somebody who knows the subject matter and not somebody whose last review was on a book of "Turkish yogurt recipes for the culinary-challenged student visiting Asia on a dollar a day while trying to get laid."
Old 27-02-06, 19:24
Senior Forum Member

Unhappy Re: Re: Latest American Rifleman and Clive Law

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
"Turkish yogurt recipes for the culinary-challenged student visiting Asia on a dollar a day while trying to get laid."
.... and here I thought those recipes were for visiting Cyprus on a pound a day while trying to get laid......
Old 27-02-06, 19:29
Richard Notton

Quote:
Yes Dave, WE won the war. With the emphasis on WE. Canada and the U.S. won the war together.
And I think you will find several other nations also had a hand in it.

R.
Old 27-02-06, 19:55
RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623

R.
You are right, of course. Nobody with more than a single brain cell can ever deny Britain's leadership role in the Second World War - both politically and militarily. However, to step up onto my soap-box podium, many people don't recognize Canada's contribution to the war effort. From a pre-war Permanent Force of 5,000 we raised 5 overseas divisions and 2 independant armoured brigades as well as 3 home divisions. We boasted the third-largest air force of the war and the fourth largest navy. Canada took one of the five beaches on D-Day and met or exceeded all of its D-Day +1 objectives. Canadians could be found in every theatre of the war. In addition to our own forces large numbers of Canadians could be found in the uniforms of the RN and RAF.
Canadian industry supplied arms and other stores to every Allied nation including Russia, China, the US, UK, Australia, NZ, RSA, etc.... From no arms industry in 1939 at all we managed to supply everything from bullets to small arms, artillery, tanks, optics, chemicals and more. We built over 3,000 ships, 7,000 aircraft and almost a million motorized vehicles. Canada trained most of the post-1941 aircrew and was termed, by President Roosevelt, the "Aerodrome of democracy".
I don't wish to belittle the contributions, or sacrifices, made by other Allied nations, but Canada - due to its unusual position of being considered British by the US and of being American by the Brits, is often overlooked in modern story-telling. Perhaps we should have been more forthright at war's end and insisted on a position in the occupation Army - we certainly had more claim to it than the French - but that was not then, or now, our way.
I know that this group, more than any other, knows fully well exactly what Canada accomplished in the 1939-1945 unpleasantness. Lest we forget

Rant over.
Old 27-02-06, 20:06

Sorry but you are all wrong!

It is a well known fact that the Scots, with a little help from the Irish, won the Second World War.

Anyone daring to question or contradict this statement will have the bagpipes of the combined Scottish regiments played to them during the hours of darkness for a period of no less than one month!

Regards

Gerry McGinty
Old 27-02-06, 20:25
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerry McGinty

It is a well known fact that the Scots, with a little help from the Irish, won the Second World War.

Regards

Gerry McGinty
Somebody put the story about that there was a florin buried in Berlin, together with a six-pack of McEwans export ......... ........... the real reason for the race for germany! LMAO

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 27-02-06, 20:28
Derek Heuring

Quote:

R.

I thought that comment might get a rise from somebody. As always R., you are a master of the understatement! I was about to do my Captain Canuck routine, but Clive beat me to it.

CHIMO!

Last edited by sapper740; 27-02-06 at 20:54.
Old 27-02-06, 20:31
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
Somebody put the story about that there was a florin buried in Berlin, together with a six-pack of McEwans export ......... ........... the real reason for the race for germany! LMAO

You have heard about how copper wire was invented, haven't you?

Two Scotsmen saw a ha'penny laying on the ground at the same time!
Old 27-02-06, 20:34

Quote:

CHIMO!
There were Canadian Troops training here in Australia during the war as well and I think there was more then just a few but I have only found a small amount of information so far on it.

Cheers
Cliff
Old 27-02-06, 20:49
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Anyone daring to question or contradict this statement will have the bagpipes of the combined Scottish regiments played to them during the hours of darkness for a period of no less than one month!
Do you need my address so they can find me?
Old 27-02-06, 20:52
Derek Heuring

Quote:

Regards

Gerry McGinty
That's no threat to one who loves the pipes! Bring 'em on, I'll have Glenfiddich ready!
Old 27-02-06, 21:08
Derek Heuring

Quote:
We built over 3,000 ships, 7,000 aircraft and almost a million motorized vehicles.

Rant over.

Bravo Clive! Well said! Glad to see another Canada booster! You'd get a laugh out of hearing me correct whoever is giving the pre-battle briefing at the reenactments here in Texas. Words in red are my exclamations:

e.g. Will the Brit with the (CANADIAN! ) CMP please move it to the British (CANADIAN!) camp. Thank you. O.K., we need all the Brits (AND CANADIAN! ) over here for a briefing. Any British casualties (AND CANADIAN! ) will be treated by the Medics to my left. I need Lootenant (LEFT-TENANT! ) Heuring to actuate the pyro...

LOL! You get the picture!

CHIMO!
Old 27-02-06, 21:36
RIP

Default Geez Sapper

Quote:
That's no threat to one who loves the pipes! Bring 'em on, I'll have Glenfiddich ready!
I can picture it now,The both of us sitting on your deck,partaking of a wee dram from the bottle of that fine elixor,whlie listening to the Pipes & Drums standing there out on your lawn.Oh of course,we should give at least one wee dram to Geoff Spinning the Bottle Wall.Hell I'll bring me drum and play along
Old 27-02-06, 22:25
Richard Notton

Quote:
You are right, of course. Nobody with more than a single brain cell can ever deny Britain's leadership role in the Second World War - both politically and militarily.
Quite so, but I was also thinking of the Aussies, Kiwis, Poles, Free French, South Africans, Indians, Nepalese (handy chaps these. . . .) et all who lent a very welcome hand.
Quote:
However, to step up onto my soap-box podium, many people don't recognize Canada's contribution to the war effort. From a pre-war Permanent Force of 5,000 we raised 5 overseas divisions and 2 independant armoured brigades as well as 3 home divisions. We boasted the third-largest air force of the war and the fourth largest navy. Canada took one of the five beaches on D-Day and met or exceeded all of its D-Day +1 objectives. Canadians could be found in every theatre of the war. In addition to our own forces large numbers of Canadians could be found in the uniforms of the RN and RAF.
Not lost on me, but I know where you are coming from. It is irksome at least that popularist history in some quarters would have the Commonwealth and British forces just sitting around Caen for two weeks whilst the real war went on elsewhere. For instance.
Quote:
Canadian industry supplied arms and other stores to every Allied nation including Russia, China, the US, UK, Australia, NZ, RSA, etc.... From no arms industry in 1939 at all we managed to supply everything from bullets to small arms, artillery, tanks, optics, chemicals and more. We built over 3,000 ships, 7,000 aircraft and almost a million motorized vehicles. Canada trained most of the post-1941 aircrew and was termed, by President Roosevelt, the "Aerodrome of democracy".
In fact more CMPs than jeeps, which has a salutory effect on people getting a tad out of line.
Quote:
I don't wish to belittle the contributions, or sacrifices, made by other Allied nations, but Canada - due to its unusual position of being considered British by the US and of being American by the Brits, is often overlooked in modern story-telling. Perhaps we should have been more forthright at war's end and insisted on a position in the occupation Army - we certainly had more claim to it than the French - but that was not then, or now, our way.
Quite so, and I remain hopeful in the thought that more people than you might imagine recognise the true Canadian contribution, however, I am minded with the large quantity of "documentary" programmes we see here on the various flavours of Discovery and indeed Nat. Geo., that it is very difficult or impossible to separate the Commonwealth troops from British in the old films, whereas other major combatants are immediately recognisable.

I guess we all have our cross to bear.
Quote:
I know that this group, more than any other, knows fully well exactly what Canada accomplished in the 1939-1945 unpleasantness. Lest we forget
There can be absolutely no doubt about that.

Quote:
Rant over.
Not a problem to me, fill your boots.

R.
Old 28-02-06, 02:48
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Geez Sapper

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
I can picture it now,The both of us sitting on your deck,partaking of a wee dram from the bottle of that fine elixor,whlie listening to the Pipes & Drums standing there out on your lawn.Oh of course,we should give at least one wee dram to Geoff Spinning the Bottle Wall.Hell I'll bring me drum and play along

I'll tell you what Garry, you bring the Cohibas and I'll supply all the Scotch you want. Heck, you can even bring Mr. Spawning-Bass along with you!
Old 28-02-06, 11:57
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Geez Sapper

Quote:
I'll tell you what Garry, you bring the Cohibas and I'll supply all the Scotch you want. Heck, you can even bring Mr. Spawning-Bass along with you!
You get me down there, you might have a hard time getting rid of me...
Old 28-02-06, 20:19
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Geez Sapper

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
You get me down there, you might have a hard time getting rid of me...
As opposed to the scotch. . . . . . . . .

R.
Old 28-02-06, 20:38
Vets Dottir

Quote:

R.
Old 28-02-06, 20:57
Vets Dottir

Quote:
You Rant over.
Good post Master SevicePub ... especially for people who don't know the history (like me, I'm still slowly learning).

It seems the "Canadian Focus" is all about having been not fully credited or recognized and we're all doing that now, and that this does not deny the contributions of any other nation ... it's only about "including Canadians real facts contributions and efforts for the public record and to educate those who don't know" ...

Lots of Nations were involved, and they all need to be highlighted for their parts ... Isn't MLU mainly about highlighting Canadians involvement and trying to correct wrong impressions and information?

I view MLU as also highlighting the contributions of all Nations involved ... and love to hear about them all. MLU is a great place to tell about it all and educate people, and simply promote respect and understanding for each others contributions ... everyone everywhere benefitted by the contributions of everyone everywhere who contributed ... as a whole, it worked. Success. Hitler rule was done away with and we were all saved from more of the same and worse. All the little parts of the whole created the whole success is kinda like I see's it.

Good, bad, or indifferent contributions, screw ups, amazing successed ... we couldn't have done it without everyone elses help, and horribly tragic sacrifices ... the end result was VE ...

I salute all Nations involved, all soldiers, but I have a special warmth and personal pride and gratitude for Canadians ... cuz I'm canadian and my Uncles and dad, whoever, whoever who served ... did so as Canadians, some laying in foreign graves where they fell.

Hmmmm ... Ma Yappy free flow babbles again

Old 01-03-06, 02:32
RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Good post Master SevicePub ...
Thank God my user name isn't Bates

Last edited by servicepub (RIP); 01-03-06 at 02:55.
Old 01-03-06, 02:36
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Thank God my user name is Bates
Hmmmm ... what happened to the "Norman" part?
Old 01-03-06, 02:46
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Thank God my user name is Bates
Hmmmm ... a MAN just clued me into what you meant MASTER BATES ... as a woman, that did not occur to me ... but I can totally understand how a MAN would "get it" rather yesterday ... :P:P:P
Old 02-03-06, 15:13
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Thank God my user name isn't Bates

N.B. For those of you easily offended, please avert your gaze or click on another thread!

Clive, I've seen some strange names, here's a couple of examples from the Weird Coast. The Wharfinger (which in itself is a pretty strange name) of the Gov't dock in Horseshoe Bay, B.C. named his boat the "Master Baiter" There is a fishing boat in Prince Rupert, B.C. called the "Fog Ducker.", and there was a race horse in Vancouver called "Hoof Hearted!"

Gotta love a sense of humour!

CHIMO!
Old 02-03-06, 20:37
Richard Notton

Quote:
The Wharfinger (which in itself is a pretty strange name) of the Gov't dock in Horseshoe Bay, B.C. named his boat . . . . . . . . .
Yes. . . . . . . . . . .
Often heard here on CH67 (Solent is too busy for the CG to use CH16) and causing much grinning of Solent CG is a fishing boat called:
SHY TALK

R.