MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 19-06-09, 10:45

Yes I would agree with Ledsel on those comments. That's why I suggest you pick a MK1 configuration, as you are already part way there. Ron
Old 19-06-09, 14:31
Richard Harrison

plus you have added the fold down section on the gunners plate mind i have seen Mk1's with the fixed side plate Nigel Watsons carrier for an example...... Mk1 pics are not a problem as i have many for my own research. as for the lighting, as it will show in your carrier book they modified (changed setup) during the war two lamps were not deemed necessary, one was left in situ mounted onto the gunners armour, and the drivers was removed to make space for water cans etc. during this period there was also the addition of the spare road wheel (like you have done) and a pair of prongs similar to that on the rear tool plate, added onto the glacis plate infront of the gunners apperture this was for tow ropes / chains. the wood along the top armour was exchanged for roundbar. I will photo the page to show you. you are not too late to keep the carrier Mk2 as i have seen them with the mesh type cover on the exhaust, i have also seen Mk3's with the same..... but you are neerer to the Mk1 plus it will be easier to replicate the top armour wooden rails

as you have probably gathered carriers were chopped up and modded many times over the years ! buy Nigels books and you wont regret it i promise !

anyroad here are some pics, will also post pics of the Mk2 i have driven.

i hope this does not spark a big debate as this is not my intention.......i am merely trying to help if i can, my experience with carriers is very limited and i myself am brand new, what i do have though is lots and lots of reference shots to assist with what ever mk you go for in the end.

Rich

here is a Mk3 note it still has the mesh cover... the long box and this type of cammo bag was introduced with the facelift mk1 to be precise !, mind just to confuse you even more each carrier although same Mk for instance may be rigged out different pending on the application and sometimes regiment it was being used for......this one has a kick ass stacey towing bracket too ! this is the fully welded hull and has the squares in place for the additional top plates used for "wading"

and here are the Mk1 "facelift"

"Fletch, sorry i have photo'd your book but Harold has already bought it and it is for a good cause, plus i knew you wouldnt mind for this purpose"

"Nige, get on here and sell Harold your books man!!!!"

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).

Last edited by RichardT10829; 19-06-09 at 17:09.
Old 19-06-09, 15:10
Richard Harrison

a Mk2 "Speedo" put into a mk1

same Mk1 from the rear, you get a good look at the radio battery box here plus the tools pannel on the back

this one was up for sale on milweb for 45.000euro !

here is a couple of wartime shots this one is listed as being from a batch of Universal carrier 3" Mortar No.1 Mk2

rear shot Mk1 desert config (i am guessing)

carrier with the wading screens in situ i cant quite read the number so could not give exact Mk but it does have the mesh type cover still.

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 19-06-09, 15:50
Richard Harrison

here is a line drawing of the rear end of a Mk2 (from my service book) best advice i can give you is to keep an open mind (this advice was given to me)

note its designation "medium machine gun carrier" each type would be slightly modded, now i wonder if Ledsels wasp has had full covers put on to protect the propellant tank ? i presume would mount here (away from the crew) Leds you will be able to advise here better than anyone i guess

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 19-06-09, 17:24
Richard Harrison

and just to help with the confusion and to re itterate that there are many spurious alterations / designs per Mk. here is a carrier made in 1944, note a few things that would lend you to think it was a specific Mk. they are all there and all from different Mks this one was Dirks which sold for circa 14.000 a very nice complete example but was out of by budget range... my point being you cant judge a carrier by its cover

you will notice this one has the solid cover as per Ledsels original comment.

one thing i do notice with this one is the large round hole on the center division plate behind the gunner, this looks original (from what i can tell) what could this hole have been used for ? and secondly the hole in the floor in the front cockpit is round rather than oval ? was this introduced post Mk1 ?

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131

Last edited by RichardT10829; 20-06-09 at 10:37.
Old 21-06-09, 03:56
Harold

Well I decided to go with the MkI facelift shown above in the picture posted by Richard. Here is the start of the facelift the headlight on the gunner's side

Next I decided to make a brengun mount for the gunners position and here's how it came out. I temporarily removed the folding bi-pod and sling. Opinons welcomed as I appreciate all the help I've received so far.... Thanks Harold

Old 21-06-09, 11:36
Bluebell

Default Harold

I took this photo, just for you
Attached Thumbnails
june 09.jpg  

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 21-06-09, 12:39
Harold

Thank you for the mount pic. Working in 1/6th it's hard to make some small things exact and still be able to have any support or strength
Old 21-06-09, 14:00
Richard Harrison

that is so cool Harold !! i am sure you have realised that you have some really enthusiastic carrier lovers here by now

Lynn it is sad to admit this but i am green with envy that you have a mount for your bren,

Harold any pics you specifically want let us know and iam sure we can accomodate you.

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 23-06-09, 02:54
Harold

Well I could use some measurements of the frames and the water cans that were stowed on the front fenders. Also a clear pic of what ever it is behind the light on the edge of the gunners shield. Sort of looks like a turn signal or something not sure. I know I could just bang something up that looks some what like a carrier but I'm kind of picky or a nit picker. I pick my own work apart all the time saying I should have done it this way or that way
Old 23-06-09, 15:18

Hi Harold
I think the thing you are referring to, is the N/S side lamp. Here are some shots of my MK2. You might have to check this out if you're doing a MK1 configuration? Ron
Attached Thumbnails
carrier 027.jpg   carrier 026.jpg   carrier 024.jpg  
Old 27-06-09, 11:42
Richard Harrison

just looking at the pics that show the facelift, have you guys spotted the mistake...

on the gunners side there is the main lamp and some conduit running to a small lamp........the side lamp.... the mount for cans etc is right in front of it so when loaded up the lamp would be obscured ?

on your Mk2 Ron they appear to have mounted it ever so slightly higher up must have learned from the mistakes upgrading the Mk1's

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131

Last edited by RichardT10829; 27-06-09 at 11:54.
Old 18-08-09, 05:12
Harold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpearce View Post
Harold use search and tipe in "five spoke road heels" and you will find threads showing five spoke wheels on carriers.
I used the search here for "five spoke road wheels" and find only my thread here. Does anyone have any pics or links to pics of carriers with five spoke road wheels?
Old 28-08-09, 14:04
Harold

Update:
I finally got some more work done on my carrier. With all the other projects I have on the go I kind of fell behind on this carrier. Here I have installed the forward bren and mount, added the dash, added the rear stowage bin, added the dual rifle rack, added the anit-aircraft bren mount and gun, added the spare bren and mount to the side wall of the carrier, and finally started on the 2 rear fuel tanks. Here are the pics

Old 29-08-09, 05:09
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzrwest View Post
Update:
Well the work continues. Here a few of the Hasty-P's check out the progress on their new carrier. I have added the upper sides of the gunner's shield, added the rear fenders, added the rear lower backplate. I've also constructed the engine and rad cover, but still has further work to go on that. The men of the Hasty-P's are pleased with the work on their new carrier and will be letting RSM Duffy know.

Just don't let the RSM see Pvt. Bloggins with his helve stuffed under the flap of his haversack!
Old 03-10-09, 14:50
Harold

Well the carrier is finished and ready for Jack to pick it up. He will add the unit markings and crew the carrier. Here it is with the side skits added, the rest of the rivits added, and paint touched up.

Old 04-10-09, 00:13
MLU Administrator

Harold,

Excellent result!

Hanno
Old 13-06-10, 04:50
Harold

Well my carrier took a gold award at the Toronto show today at Old Fort York. I am very pleased as this is the first time I have won an award for anything. I want to thank all those that have helped me with my carrier for without that help I could not have won this award, so again a BIG THANK YOU!!!!!.. I'm a happy as a pig in S*&^....lol... Harold

Last edited by pzrwest; 13-06-10 at 18:31.