MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 31-01-15, 19:04

Default M37CDN Frame Serial Number

One of my small fleet of M37CDNs was registered in B.C. after disposal as a Fargo using the data plate serial number. Now, after owning it for 37 yrs, I'd like to correct the registration with ICBC. I found the CFR number stamped on the front left frame rail but am at a loss to find where the serial number is stamped in the frame. The US trucks were stamped in the front side frame rail but I can't find anything in this area at all. Any info is appreciated...

Jess
Old 08-03-15, 22:18

Default Found Frame Serial Number

Thanks to Chris Olson in Burnaby, B.C. who provided the information on where to look, I have confirmed that my M37CDN is CAR 53-41488, Data Plate serial number 91401749 matches the stamped frame number. Frame number is located on the drivers side, just to the rear of the rear cab mount bracket. I also located the CAR # stenciled inside the passenger side of the hardtop and stamped into the top of the drivers side frame rail between the bumper and grill. Looks like all the information matches, now just have to see if I can get the registration corrected with ICBC to show that its an M37, not a Fargo. I am the second owner of this truck purchased from a disposal sale in Victoria in 1977.

Jess
Old 09-03-15, 02:48

Jes.

Hope it goes smoothly for you.

When M38CDN's first starting hitting civvie street here in Manitoba many years ago, our Provincial Insurance Co insisted all 'jeeps' had to be Willys made in their system and a few people had problems getting their vehicles registered as Ford products.

When I took my paperwork into a local agency for registration I told them of the problem and when they initially entered the data the system popped up with the Willys designation. The clerk just smiled and said she'd have to do a manual override, which apparently was possible, but not all agencies knew about the option or how to do it. I do know of one other person who got a letter that their M38CDN was not properly identified, but when he took the vehicle to the local MPIC office and showed them, they immediately adjusted their records accordingly.

David
Old 09-03-15, 20:47
Brian Asbury

Jes, Thank you for the follow-up on your frame serial. Also of interest from the dash plate would be the date delivered, the contract number (probably CDLV704) and the inspector's stamp (probably inspector IS E22). Some M37 CDN also had a body tag in the engine compartment on the right cowl near the hood hinge. I don't know how to decipher these tags.
Let me know if you need any NOS parts the Canadian manuals: lots in stock.
........ Brian
Old 10-03-15, 03:45

Default M37cdn

Brian, you must have looked at both the trucks I have here....

53-41488 Serial 91401749 Delivered 4-16-53 Contract CDLV704 with the inspection stamp IS E22

53-xxxxx Serial 91401657 Delivered 3-27-53 Contract CDLV704 and inspection stamp IS E22. CAR will be verified once I move some heavy stuff in front of the truck.

These are at our summer cabin on the Gulf Islands, where we spend most of our time these days. Interesting to note the inspector is the same. Must have been a busy guy or gal....

When I get home to Black Creek, I can look up the other two sleeping beauties beside the house and see what numbers I get. I have the Repair Manual (x2) and the parts listing, whatever its called. Title pages have gone adrift. But, I will be looking for bits and pieces and will get in touch about those when I get that far. The Holy Grail of M37CDN bits is an Acme PTO but we learned about them in the search for an idler gear for Bill Anthony in Churchill. The great thing about MLU and the other forums I haunt is the willingness of everyone to help out. Thanks for that.

Jes
Old 14-03-15, 01:12

Default Car 53-45528

While looking for a decent bit of paint to have matched, I checked another of my 'resting' M37s and here is the info.

Serial 91403356 Contract CDLV817 Del Date 6-8-54 Same inspector as the others E 22 Verified frame serial # matches the Data Plate and CAR 54-45528 stamped on front left frame matches the stenciled # on the dash and painted on one of the doors.

This truck is in need of a good home as I probably have too many projects already...

Jess

Last edited by Jes Andersen; 14-03-15 at 01:15. Reason: Incorrect CAR year in title. 54 not, 53