MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 02-04-06, 09:20
RIP

Default Australia's National Anthem??

watched the Commonwealth Games,plus a golfing event today when you people won,but they didn't sing the anthem.Wasn't "Waltzing Matilda" picked as your anthem a few years back??

Signed

A confuse Colonial
G'day mates

Old 02-04-06, 11:32
Richard Notton

Default Re: Australia's National Anthem??

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
watched the Commonwealth Games,plus a golfing event today when you people won,but they didn't sing the anthem.Wasn't "Waltzing Matilda" picked as your anthem a few years back??

Signed

A confuse Colonial
G'day mates

‘Advance Australia Fair' is the national anthem of Australia. A revised version of a late nineteenth century patriotic song, it was officially declared the national anthem on 19 April 1984.

But, the rest of us recognise "WM" as far more "Australian" as it were I think.

R.
Old 02-04-06, 12:42

richard,

They actually held a referendum to pick the anthem. Waltzing Matilda was recognized as the National Song, much like the American Battle Hymn of the Republic or the British Land of Hope and Glory but slightly less pompous.

Advance Australia Fair is a great tune when played by a military band or large orchestra - less so when sung by some nasily blonde bimbo pop star.

If you know the story of Waltzing Matilda only in Australia would there be a national song about a vagrant thief who commits suicide. As for making it the National Anthem you may have noticed suicide does not feature largely in most National Anthems.

Lang
Old 03-04-06, 00:10
Film maker, CMP addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lang

Advance Australia Fair is a great tune when played by a military band or large orchestra - less so when sung by some nasily blonde bimbo pop star.
Lang
I agree... makes it sound like it came out of the "Lion King" or some other "me too" cartoon.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 03-04-06, 04:50
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Advance Australia Fair is a great anthem - I like the lines "with golden soil and wealth for toil, and we are girt by sea" - the next phrase has some cadences in it that remind me a bit of the (politically incorrect) Maple Leaf Forever, which I know some would have liked for Canada's anthem, but we have O Canada, which is fine, if "they" would just stop meddling with the (English) words.

I actually think the second verse (which you never hear sung) ought to be the first: "O Canada, where pines and maples grow, great prairies spread, and lordly rivers flow - and the thrid verse is fun, too: "O Canada, beneath thy spreading skies, may stalwart sons and gentle maidens rise."

Both anthems tend to be played or sung too slow (especially by those dreadful hockey-game chateuses with all their vocal masturbation).

A brisk march tempo suits both Advance, Australia Fair and O Canada.

And The Star Spangled Banner is great, too (also tends to be played too slow)
Old 03-04-06, 05:55

Yes, there are some great anthems around. I am overjoyed we replaced the sycophantic, fore-lock tugging dirge the British are stuck with. Whatever you think about the French they do good anthems!

We also were subject to changes, after 100 years the first line was replaced from "Australia's sons let us rejoice..." to "Australians all let us rejoice..."

Regards

Lang
Old 03-04-06, 06:03
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Anthem update

Australians all let us rejoice For we have CMPs!
In khaki green they must be seen, Our home is full of these: Our land abounds in army trucks Of beauty rich and rare, In history's page let every stage increase Australia’s share, In joyful strains then let us sing we have the lion’s share.

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross, We'll toil with hearts and hands, To make these CMPs of ours Renowned of all the lands, For those who've come across the seas We've carriers and trucks to share, With courage let us all combine To find them here and there. In joyful strains then let us sing, Advance Australia fair.

Incidentally, does anyone have a copy of "In Canada by B.J. Snowden from Songs in the Key of Z, Vol. 1"?

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 03-04-06, 06:33

Very good Keith!
Old 03-04-06, 06:37
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Singing

Quote:
Very good Keith!
Did you sing it through in your head? Perhaps it may be something we can all belt out at the top of our voices while driving the long distance to Corowa in our noisy vehicles next year. No-one will hear us then.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 03-04-06, 07:37
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Quote:
Yes, there are some great anthems around. I am overjoyed we replaced the sycophantic, fore-lock tugging dirge the British are stuck with.
Although a Royalist, I happen to agree about the anthem - my choice for a replacement - I Vow to Thee my Country to the tune of Holsts's Jupiter.
The main danger is that we may become patriotic again and that would never do in todays multicultural multinational democratic dictatorship of Blair would it?

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 03-04-06, 08:36
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
Although a Royalist, I happen to agree about the anthem - my choice for a replacement - I Vow to Thee my Country to the tune of Holsts's Jupiter.
Oh! Now there's a tempting idea, Dave C must have his thinking hat on today.

Of course we are obliged to have a bit of a dirge for an anthem since the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha's are in charge.
Quote:
The main danger is that we may become patriotic again and that would never do in todays multicultural multinational democratic dictatorship of Blair would it?
Shaky ground here, we shall have to be careful; it seems we cannot publically pose the question about why all the incoming non-nationals of unusual religious persuasion are coming here and who is permitting it without being summoned to court for inciting racial hatred, as has happened; however, the same people are allowed to parade in London as terrorist bomber re-enactors with placards glorifying and praising these people together with the 911 perpetrators with only a mild reprimand; and they have their own parliament.
I thought we had an anti sedition law, maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe Angus' (almost Straine although born in Scotland) Highway to Hell is more appropriate. . . . . . . . . . . .

One wonders how much longer the overt and public display of patriots at The Last Night of The Proms will be permitted to continue. . . . . . . . .

Hey, Its Monday morning, don't you dare get me started Dave. . .

R.
Old 03-04-06, 09:02
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Great lyrics Keith! I had the tune of AAF running through my head as I read them. We Canucks should try to reply with something comparable.
I'll think on that.

As a Canadian who still thinks the Crown has a place in our Constitution (now that we have had one foisted on us, to spawn no end of absurd charter challenges, etc), I have no problems with God Save The Queen - but that really is an attractive idea to consider I Vow To Thee My Country for a British anthem (I love Charlotte Church's version). The tune came before Jupiter though - Holst has had a bit of stick from musicological purists for importing it into Jupiter, thought to be a bit kitschy. I was in Chichester Cathedral, looking about for Holst's marker, consulted the warden's guide, and looked at my feet to discover I had trod on it.
Old 03-04-06, 09:54
former Resident Historian

Default British Anthems

Just got back from deepest, darkest Cumbrian mountains. The original British National Anthem was RULE BRITANNIA, which was superceded over time by GOD SAVE THE KING/QUEEN. Sir Edward Elgar wrote MARCH OF POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCE, around 1933??, and I have to say that's the one that I like to hear as an English anthem at Rugby, etc. However, R.B. is still an anthem and more stirring than G.S.T.Q. surely?
Old 03-04-06, 10:13

Mark,

On reading all the above waffle about National Anthems, patriotism, immigrants and moslems I am depressed that while not agreeing with everything, I have to say that on balance, I agree with enough of the general sentiments to to shock myself.

I have become a reactionary old fart! I take some comfort in the fact I am a rabid republican but apart from that.......

Is this an essential part of owning military vehicles? I even own a 1980 Honda CX500 also!!!! I have spent enough on crude, rough, horrible to drive military vehicles to have restored a 1936 Duesenberg and have change over.

One of the great mysteries of life.

Lang
Old 03-04-06, 14:59
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by cmperry4

A few comments:

Both anthems tend to be played or sung too slow (especially by those dreadful hockey-game chateuses with all their vocal masturbation).

How about the attempts at crystal glass shattering when they extend the "EEEEEEEE" in "free" when singing the Star Spangled Banner.

A brisk march tempo suits both Advance, Australia Fair and O Canada.

I think O Canada should be sung to the theme music from Hockey Night in Canada.

And The Star Spangled Banner is great, too (also tends to be played too slow)

Ya gotta love an anthem with rockets and bombs!!!
Old 03-04-06, 15:43
Derek Heuring

Quote:

Dreadful singing is not limited to hockey chanteuses. I was in the colour guard for the 2000 Grey Cup game in Vancouver and was standing about 10 feet behind Colin James as he muffed the words to "O Canada" Real professional! Almost as professional as the USMC colour guard marching out at the 1992 Grey Cup game with the Red Ensign upside down!!!

CHIMO!
Old 03-04-06, 16:50
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Great lyrics Keith! I had the tune of AAF running through my head as I read them. We Canucks should try to reply with something comparable.
I'll think on that.
We should just bring back THE MAPLE LEAF FOREVER.
Old 03-04-06, 17:11
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default National anthem..

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
We should just bring back THE MAPLE LEAF FOREVER.
....or "the North Atlantic Squadron..."