MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 08-01-13, 21:06
Pops

After some very hot days 41 and 42 over the weekend, and 27 at 6.30 am yesterday this morning is finely cooler at the moment it is 15, it was 29 at midnight. Max is away fighting a fire the other side of Yass that started near Jugiong yesterday afternoon, they are still having trouble because of the wind. This fire was across the highway near where Emma now lives. Hope all is well today.

Kathy
Old 08-01-13, 23:44
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Relief

Hi Guys

It was nice to wake up to a cooler day, we are only going for a max of 25 today, but they predict we will be back in the 40's by the weekend. As it is cooler I am off to our association secretaries property to assist with work on his Lynx which being restored.

My thoughts go out to our MLU members in fire ravaged areas in Vic. NSW and Qld. Stall safe.

Cheers

Tony
Old 09-01-13, 03:30
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Interesting graphic in the news today showing our hottest temps:

Source
Now, put a negative in front of any of those numbers, and some fiesty Canadian will claim to have been outside when it was that COLD.

My story is minus 56 degrees C, and a few days before that when the temperature got up to minus 45. So cold my glasses froze to my nose.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 09-01-13, 03:42
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_collector View Post

Police interviewing three early teen 'Papa Romeo India Charlie Kilos' about starting fires! At that age I was playing with Matchbox cars, not practicing my pyromania skills. What's happening to our youth? Not enough floggings early in life, I suspect!
This might be a universal theme. It seems that during the forest fire season in Northern Canada there are suspicious starts. The RCMP investigate and invariably there are suspects among the local hires for the labour jobs.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 09-01-13, 04:42
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I have worked in both the extreme cold ( Alert, and Repulse Bay tundra just accross the arctic circle) and the extreme heat (Cypress, Kandahar Airfield). It is almost hard to say which is better. I guess it comes down to the threat on the physical well being. At moderate negative temperatures you can simply dress warmer. At the 40+ above mark you can ensure adequate hydration.

End of the day, I guess I would take the heat over the cold. But quite frankly, I would prefer a climate where it just stayed at 21°C every day, and maybe 18 at night. Also, if it oculd rain only at night, that would be fine also.

Made it up to -3 outside right now. I am out in just a hoodie with no gloves and running shoes on. A nice break form the recent cold spell.
Ah, punk. When I lived in Iqaluit I walked to work in running shoes at -30C (yes, I really did, but the deal was I didn't stop to talk to anyone). Parkas with fur lined, wire adjustable hoods could deal with anything short of a 90K wind face on. The cold was manageable. After all it was the eastern Arctic where it seldom went below -30C. The hot, well melt me and suck the life out of me...
Old 10-01-13, 21:21

Not quite that hot here but we are having a very nice winter so far. In the city you can still see the grass with just trace of snow here and there,but outside of city the most snow there is about a foot maximum. Was just for a walk behind my house and only have 8 inches of snow here. Sure is nothing like what it used to be 40 years ago. Only been a few days of mid to high minus 20's C.
The last couple weeks have been very nice if this winter at it's worst I would love winter. The temperature today is +7 C not bad for Jan 10th in northwestern Ontario

Have a great day all
Eric
Old 12-01-13, 02:39
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hedges View Post
After some very hot days 41 and 42 over the weekend, and 27 at 6.30 am yesterday this morning is finely cooler at the moment it is 15, it was 29 at midnight. Max is away fighting a fire the other side of Yass that started near Jugiong yesterday afternoon, they are still having trouble because of the wind. This fire was across the highway near where Emma now lives. Hope all is well today.

Kathy
Hello Kathy & Max,

There has been a couple of news reports about fires in the Yass area. I hope that it was far enough away from you to not cause any concerns? Take care!

Kind Regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Old 12-01-13, 11:01

Default seen

Max was looking well on the telly tonight, local news crew spoke to him concerning the fire in the Yass area.
Old 12-01-13, 11:12
Corowa Project 30

I saw footage of a 76 year old whose property was burnt out and he had some vintage vehicles including a Blitz. I think this was in the Yass area.
Research & Development
THE COROWA YEAR 30 PROJECT
Old 12-01-13, 11:23
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McNeill View Post
Max was looking well on the telly tonight, local news crew spoke to him concerning the fire in the Yass area.
We had a news item on the Yass fires but Max missed out!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 22-01-13, 11:10
Pops

Hi everyone, all is well at our place so far this summer. Max has been busy with fires in the area for quite a few days, has just had a break of about a week and now he is on the way to another north of goulburn, started by lightning. The 76 year old , Jan mentioned, lives near Crockwell and is a member of the Yass Antique Farm Machinery Club so we know him well, thankfully he is OK. It's a long time since Max has spent so much time away with fires, I guess it's probably 10 years, and possibly the Canberra fires, I've lost count of the number of fires in the area this summer.

Kathy