MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 11-03-03, 19:18

Default CMPs for sale in United Kingdom

Hi all!
On the 15th of this month there is an auction being held at Ely in cambridgeshire by Cheffins auctioneers.one lot is a very nice Chev C60 tipper.go to www.cheffins.co.uk and click on catalog for more info.there is also a Dodge WC-62 in the sale.wish I had the cash to bid but I dont
Old 11-03-03, 19:31
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: C60 for auction in UK!

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
Hi all!
On the 15th of this month there is an auction being held at Ely in cambridgeshire by Cheffins auctioneers.one lot is a very nice Chev C60 tipper.go to www.cheffins.co.uk and click on catalog for more info.there is also a Dodge WC-62 in the sale.wish I had the cash to bid but I dont
Estimated selling price UKP 1,000? Sounds like a VERY interesting buy...

Old 11-03-03, 20:34
former Resident Historian

Default Good buy!

"1943 Chevrolet/GMC CMP 3 Ton Truck
Registration Number: OSV 546
Chassis Number: 3844422263
Engine Number: WR9968242
Believed to be a 3 ton CMP (Canadian Military Pattern) truck, little is known of the history of this vehicle, although it would appear that at some point in its working life it was fitted with a crane attachment. The letter 'L' at the start of the designation number on the door would indicate 'Lorry' or 3 ton (60 cwt) as would the 10.50 x 20 tyres. Three ton CMP trucks were built by both Ford and GM of Canada in 134 ins and 158 ins wheel base and formed the backbone of Commonwealth Military transport. Built in all body types including general cargo and special purpose trucks over 400,000 CMPs were built. Built to British Army standards all CMPs were right-hand drive and were extensively used as transport by the Australian, British, Canadian, Indian, and South African units in North Africa.
No documentation was available at the time of inspection, although an HPI check on the registration shows it to have been registered OSV 546 in1984 and as such a new V5 registration document should be available upon written request to the DVLA.
Estimate: £1,000-£1,200".

However, the serial and engine numbers are not correct...3844422263 is for a C15A of course. WR9968242 must be WR 3,968,242. A C60S would be 38442 etc. If this is indeed a C60S then it must be serial # 3844222263..perhaps to S/M 6056 if it was a British order. Can anyone confirm whether it is indeed a C60S please? I am useless at identifying!! The engine # as amended would appear to be a late 1944 unit by the way.

BECAUSE OF LATER COMMENTS I SUGGEST that it might be 3844322263, and Engine # WR39368242, and to British Contract S/M 6110. Wish I could buy but my wife would kill me!

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 12-03-03 at 08:18.
Old 11-03-03, 20:44

Default Re: David

More to the point, who here is going to go after it? Make it a lot easier to identify if it were in some's yard, wouldn't it?
Old 11-03-03, 20:55
former Resident Historian

Default I have the money but no space

I would go for it but no space...someone out there is going to get a bargain surely?
Old 11-03-03, 21:00

Default Well...

I've got room for it David but it wouldn't be much good to you stuck up here in North Wales
Old 11-03-03, 22:39
MLU Administrator

Default C60L

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
Can anyone confirm whether it is indeed a C60S please? I am useless at identifying!!
David, this is a C60L with 158" chassis. Seems to be a plain 3-ton GS truck, not a tipper. I'm useless when it comes to serial numbers, so it's over to you again
Old 12-03-03, 21:00

Default body

Can anyone confirm that the body is original?
I have never seen such a body, and do not think it is "wartime...."

Rolf
Old 13-03-03, 07:24

Default Body

Hi Rolf
I thought the same as you.maybe I'm wrong but it looks a bit like a "plywood special".one thing did I did think of...this truck would be good for somone from Canada visiting the UK and wanting a CMP to use in the UK or Europe next year
Old 17-03-03, 20:44

Default Sale prices

A friend went to the sale last weekend.he says the Chev was even better than it looked in the photo.it made 1500 UKP. the two ex French Diamond T's made UK 650 each.I've always wanted a Diamond T but don't have the cash or time at the moment.oh well one day!
Old 18-03-03, 15:42
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Sale prices

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
A friend went to the sale last weekend.he says the Chev was even better than it looked in the photo.it made 1500 UKP. the two ex French Diamond T's made UK 650 each.
Matt,

Thanks for the feedback on this auction, as the site does not list a sale price for each item. Sounds like some people got themselves a good deal. I wonder where the Ford Canada lots went?
- Lot 351: A Canadian Ford 4 x 4 158.25ins WB parts list - £4
- Lot 352: A Canadian Ford 4 x 2 and 4 x 4 1940/1 parts list - £5
- Lot 535: Canadian Ford rolling chassis with engine. For spares or restoration - [no sale price listed]

Hanno
Old 18-03-03, 19:56

Default Proper body in a field....

I know a very nice original body (as the one on there is indeed not original) lying around in a field near here. I spoke to the owner once, and he intended to use it for the resto of his CMP he has (had?) in one of his barns. This was at least 3 years ago, and it is still there. The things people do to CMP´s ..........

Martin.
Old 23-11-03, 21:17

Default CMPs for sale in England

It seems that I have too many toys in the shed and its about time I haed a bit of a tidy up. I have been saving this truck as a restoration prospect for some years, but to be honest I am just not going to get round to sorting it out. Other things keep coming a long and moving it down the list of priorities....So

Its a LATE 1942 Chevrolet C15 on a British SM contact number. It has been stored inside for many years and is very sound. I have over period of time collected lots of parts for it including a replacement 2H1 wood steel composite truck body in almost drop on and drive condition... where would you find one of those?

Also included would be a spare front and rear axle, steering gear etc.

On the down side, when it came to me it had previously been fitted with a perkins diesel. For this the previous owner had removed a cross member from the chassis. (but you can have a spare chassis too, either to build up on from scratch or use the missing crossmember.

As for engines and transmissions, it currently doesnot have one fitted but purchaser can have a look at my scrap engine pile and pick some good bits....

Basically everything is there for a fairly straightforward restoration. I saved it because it was so straight. Rust to the bottom rear edge of the cab, but cowls etc are good....

See what you think. I am of course happy to answer questions. and drop me a line if you are interested. I am offering it here first before advertising it more widely....

The truck as pictured came fitted with a morris commercial body, this has since gone to pastures new.

regards

nick
yorkshire England
Attached Thumbnails
111-1200_img2.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 29-08-04, 15:39
MLU Administrator

Default C15 with REME conversion Bedford engine

Ad found on MilWeb:
Quote:
1943 Chevrolet CMP C15 4x2 truck
Fitted with REME conversion bedford 28hp engine. 90% restored, most parts to finish included in sale. Dry stored on the button. buyer collects. £2495ono. West Yorkshire UK.
01535 642858
Mark Worden 28 August '04
I have no connection with the seller, I'm listing it here as I was surprised to read "fitted with REME conversion bedford engine". I know the Bedford engine was a quite popular conversion in civvy street, but didn't know this was a REME conversion as well. Can anyone confirm this?

H.
Old 29-08-04, 17:27

Default Re: C15 with REME conversion Bedford engine

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
I was surprised to read "fitted with REME conversion bedford engine". I know the Bedford engine was a quite popular conversion in civvy street, but didn't know this was a REME conversion as well. Can anyone confirm this?
Hanno,
When the CMP range was in service with the British Army, it is unlikely that spares would have been that short that substituting a Bedford 28 hp was necessary. Having worked for many years within the REME workshop system, I feel from experience that this sort of thing was actually frowned upon as it causes problems for stores ordering later on. You have a truck broken down, requires a head gasket or distributor cap for example, vehicle details taken and the wrong part turns up. Not saying it was not done, but this sort of thing may have happened in some far flung place where stores supply was not good and they needed the vehicle back on the road.

Richard
Old 07-10-04, 22:45
MLU Administrator

Default Re: C15 with REME conversion Bedford engine

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
When the CMP range was in service with the British Army, it is unlikely that spares would have been that short that substituting a Bedford 28 hp was necessary.
Thanks Richard, more likely it was converted in civvy street after demob. Of course having worked for many years with REME, you do claim any non-authentic restorations and repairs are "REME conversions", don't you?

The C15 has been re-advertised on MilWeb, this time complete with picture:
Quote:
1943 Chevrolet CMP C15 4x2 Truck
Vehicle is 90% complete and running. All mechanical parts and body restored from a ground up rebuild. New 900/16 directional bar treads. fitted with REME conversion 28hp Bedford engine. reluctant sale due to imminent emigration . needs slight work to cab roof and electric's finishing, rest is cosmetic work. Price £2495.00 will haggle with genuine buyers! Buyer collects will need transporter to remove.
Jenny Parr 07 October '04
Old 07-10-04, 23:23

Default Re: Re: C15 with REME conversion Bedford engine

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Of course having worked for many years with REME, you do claim any non-authentic restorations and repairs are "REME conversions", don't you?
Hi Hanno,

The term used for this sort of thing in REME was "unofficial mods"

In restorations anything like this would be done "in the interest of reliability" of course

Richard
Old 04-04-05, 22:40
MLU Administrator

Default for sale: 1944 Canadian Ford F60S LAAT 13 Cab

Ad found on MilWeb:
Quote:
1944 Canadian Ford F60S LAAT 13 Cab
4x4 with winch.Travelled to Normandy June 2004 for 60th anniversary of D-Day. In very good order,ready for 2005 rally season. £5750.00 ovno.
07831 170894
Phil Baskerville 04 April '05
No connection to the seller.
Old 05-07-05, 12:21
MLU Administrator

Here's another ad found on MilWeb:
Quote:
1944 Canadian Ford F60 LAA
Unfinished restoration project, Chassis / body sandblasted and painted,requires cab finishing and assembling £1500. Flathead V8 engine for above,profesionaly rebuilt and complete with ancilleries £1300 or swap all for ferret.
Rob Nixon 03 July '05
Old 09-10-05, 15:07
MLU Administrator

Default Re: C15 For Sale Uk

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Bullock
It seems that I have too many toys in the shed and its about time I haed a bit of a tidy up. I have been saving this truck as a restoration prospect for some years, but to be honest I am just not going to get round to sorting it out. Other things keep coming a long and moving it down the list of priorities....So
Read the next installment of this C15's life at http://www.canadianregister.co.uk/restoration_C15.html

H.
Old 29-12-05, 19:00

Default for sale

HELLO ALL
Just seen the following in classic car paper.
Quote:
CMP CHEV HUP RADIO VAN
good runner much work done needs minor work to finish too many projects forces sale 4000 pounds OVNO
PHONE 01562 851489 WOSTERSHIRE. UK .
VIC UK
PS 13 CAB
Old 11-02-06, 19:47
MLU Administrator

Default CMP winch for trade (or sale)

Anyone interested, please post your response here. I'll direct Stephen to this site so he can get in touch with you.

Quote:
Hello
I am the owner of an F60S LAAT Living in northof England.
About 10 years ago I bought a FORD/CMP winch assembly with some of its fitting from Geoff Maskell in County Durham England
The winch is one that he had removed from an ARMOURED cmp truck C15TA?
I Plannned to fit it to a F30 4X4 That i had bought 101 1/2 wheel base.
I understood that all the ford /CMP chassis were the same width and the winch would bolt straight in.i hAVE THE BIG CASTINGS for the shaft ends Howeverthe chassis on the truck is narrow compared to the winch front crossmember and the winch shafts are to long to fit the space available.
I have sold the 101 wheelbase chassis and the F60S already has a winch fitted.
I am looking to find a user for the WIDE winch? Do you know of any one that has a need for this particular item please.There are some fittings that are also different. rear pulley mounting plate I will be happy to photo /measure the item and look for serial niumbers if you can tell me where they will be located. The winch is under cover OUTSIDE so i will need daylight and prefer a sunny day.Possible exchange spares with cash ? as well.
Regards Stephen.
Old 13-03-06, 21:24
MLU Administrator

Thanks for the heads up, Vic.

Here's another ad for a HUW, found on MilWeb (possibly the same one?):
Quote:
Chevrolet C8A,1942. Heavy Utility Wireless
Restored original condition,ready to rally. (local vehicle for decades) ,£5750.
01743 718939
Stefan Slomczynski 13 March '06
Old 13-03-06, 23:10

That's a hybrid, reskinned methinks.
Old 27-03-06, 20:05
MLU Administrator

Default C15A for sale in England

Ad found on www.canadianregister.co.uk:
Quote:
Brief description: 1942. British Army REME. Bought by a garage in St Neots, as new. I bought it in 1971, 2000 miles. Tours of France, Belgium and Holland. Now has 5400 miles. Has not been rebuilt, only repainted, is in original condition. Cold weather equipment. Probably one of the best and original.
Price : £5800
Town : Milton Keynes
County : Bucks
Contact Person: John Marchant
Contact Phone: 01908 562595
Contact E-mail: mail@canadianregister.co.uk
Old 31-03-06, 17:57
1942 C15A

Default C15 in England

...... Sweet ....... !

Why does snow look so much better caked on all tyres except the 9.00 x 16 bar grip type ?
Old 07-04-06, 21:16
MLU Administrator

Default Re: C15 in England

Quote:
Originally posted by john hoffman
Why does snow look so much better caked on all tyres except the 9.00 x 16 bar grip type ?
Because the snow doesn't cake on them?!?

Old 08-04-06, 20:11

Default dutch snow??

Hanno where have you bought all that snow??
Can't be cheap with that much snow on a field in the Low countrys...
And what are the Dodge WC tarp doing on a F15A??

Chers from
Rolf

BTW: It is snowing outside today, and that is NOT normal in April where I live... The jeep is staying outside ready to go by icecreame...
Old 06-05-06, 13:46
Jeremy

Default Chevrolet C8 A on ebay

Just thought it may be of interest to those in the UK that there is a C8 A on ebay at the moment.

Regards RR
Old 06-05-06, 15:04
MLU Administrator

Thanks for the heads up!

C8A Canadian Chevrolet Military 4X4 Truck Lorrie Item number: 4637361576
Quote:
Description

VERY RARE C8A CANADIAN PATTERN CHEVROLET MILITARY 4X4

Up for auction is my 1944 C8A project. She has been undergoing a ground-up rebuild and will need very little to complete. Due to health reasons, I am no longer able to "scratch her itch". There are way too many new bits and pieces to list, and I have retained original parts where I can. Hopefully the photographs will speak for themselves. I am more than willing to answer any specific questions that you may have.

The engine is a Chevrolet 216 with a 4-speed manual gearbox. She runs smooth and starts right up. (She will also go over just about anything you can stick in front of her!!) I have been working on her for many years and have really got mixed feelings about seeing her go. I will give any advice and/or information on further refurbishment. She would also make a great conversion with sleeping quarters for the military show enthusiast. Either way, she will definately turn heads.

The body has been repaired to a modest standard. There are rough edges all over, but not much unlike it would have been originally. Some of the interior has been temporarily finished in wood just getting her ready to sell. There are a few bits and pieces that will go with her as I come across them. The tyres are Goodyear 9.00 - 16 C Nylon with an 8-ply rating. They are military tread and have years and years of life left on them.

As stated before, she starts and purrs like a kitten....OK, maybe a REALLY BIG kitten!!

She is being sold with no tax, MOT, or number plates. She is designated as a military vehicle and should not need much to register. Buyer will need to be responsible for delivery. She runs and drives well, but for legality reasons, should be trailered. Like I said, how you do it is up to you.

This truck is located in Hatfield, Herts. Payment may be made as cash upon collection. Buyer must contact me within five days of auction end to arrange collection. I can store for a short period if needed. Good Luck, & HAPPY BIDDING!!
Attached Thumbnails
9b_3-cropped.jpg