MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 10-10-19, 22:40
carrier mech

Default 15cwt Gin Palace map table

I was sorting out some triwalls filled with miscellaneous items today, some of which was Bill Gregg stuff. One of the items found is the map board which stows on the front left of the signals van (gin palace) 15 cwt. I talked with Robert Bergeron who verified he doesn't have one., so I offered to post details of it here on the forum for those who will want one in the future. This one will be stowed on the RCA museum van until I have a chance to re-skin the board. It is basically a piece of plywood sandwiched by sheet metal with a 3/4 inch piece of angle iron on the top, and two brackets bolted on the bottom. The top appears to have flathead machine screws and nuts holding the angle iron on, while the two bottom brackets are held in place by regular hex bolts.

The board sixe is 26x38 before the metal is put onto it.
I will attach some photos, and no doubt those who want to make one will have plenty of questions as to metal thickness etc which I will do my best to answer.
The design of plywood with sheet metal around it is likely the reason these boards are so hard to find. Eventually, the plywood turns into a sponge, ensuring the sheet metal will rust away.

I see one hole on the left side of the box where one of those hooks could fit into. However, this box has been re-skinned, so if there is a second hole, it is gone. We do have several more of the boxes down in the dustbowl which I can check next time I am down there.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01532.jpg   DSC01533.jpg   DSC01535.jpg   DSC01536.jpg   DSC01538.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; 10-10-19 at 22:52.
Old 11-10-19, 02:02

Awesome Rob . I had wondered how those hooks that go in the holes on the body were made and also the eyes for the overhead support . I want to reproduce the table but i don’t know how the table was held in place : Chains / rods / wire / rope ? Anybody got a picture / diagram / personal experience ? .

The bottom holes for the table rods as seen in Rob's pictures and the top holes for whatever holds the table are original as i have seen them on the Oshawa truck.

This is my representation , i may be off the track or i may be spot on.

Now to add the sheet metal .
Attached Thumbnails
table.jpg  
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 12-10-19 at 04:03.