MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 16-04-08, 23:44
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Ottawa area- Calnan's Canada Day Convoy

We S&P types (and all the ROTTERS that want to play) will be conducting the Nth* Annual Canada Day Convoy from S&P to Merrickville, to Kemptville to S&P.

Two parades- one in the AM in Merrickville and one in the PM in Kemptville. Hotdog, fries and a soft drink on offer in Merrickville and a Canada Day BBQ, bonfire, foam and fireworks at the S&P that evening. Granted our fireworks aren't as spectacular as the ones on P'Hill but we have alot of fun! Camping at the S&P available for those driving a long way or who consume too much foam!

I'll try to get a fuel bonus.

Anyone interested? We are lining up at the S&P at 0830 and rolling at 0900. All eras/mil vehs welcome. Uniforms are optional but add to the fun. Pers who don't own a vehicle are particularly welcome as I need drivers! ;}

*-we've lost track but the only one I ever missed was when I was in Bosnia in 2001.

Ubique! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 16-06-08, 17:46

Default Canada Day Convoy

G'day all!

I'm back from Kenya and ramping up for the Canada Day Convoy.

The event is open to any and all; as noted above please be at the S&P Museum at 0830 hrs to marshall. We roll at 0900 hrs.

Cheers and Ubique! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 25-06-09, 23:57

Default Canada Day Convoy timetable

Hi Folks:

Still catching up on life after too long overseas. Will become a regular poster again soon, I promise!

Here is the timetable for the Canada Day Convoy to Merrickville and Kemptville:

Wednesday, 1 July 2009:

0830 hrs- form up at the Swords and Ploughshares Museum;
0900 hrs- driver and crew briefing;
0930 hrs- depart for Merrickville on Donnelly Drive (Regional Road 2);
1015 hrs- arrive Merrickville;
1100 hrs- parade steps off;
1200 hrs- fire the minute gun;
1230 hrs- lunch
1300 hrs- refreshments at the Merrickville Legion;
1430 hrs- depart for Kemptville on Hwy 43;
1515 hrs- arrive Kemptville;
1600 hrs- parade steps off;
1700 hrs- fire the minute gun;
1730 hrs- refreshments at Kemptville College (non-S&P vehs are free to dep for home if they wish);
1830 hrs- depart for S&P MUseum; and
1900 hrs- campfire at S&P or return to Kemptville for fireworks.

This is a low-key, family fun event. All MVs from all eras are welcome, drivers and crews are welcome to wear appropriate uniforms. If you wear civis, please have some red and white in your outfit!!! :}

Come on out folks, its a great day and last year we had over 20 vehicles in the convoy!

Happy Birthday, Canada!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 26-06-09, 02:38
Mr. HUP

Default Convoy Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
...Here is the timetable for the Canada Day Convoy to Merrickville and Kemptville:Wednesday, 1 July 2009:0930 hrs- depart for Merrickville on Donnelly Drive (Regional Road 2)...Happy Birthday, Canada!
Hiya Mike and welcome back. The family and I will be at the museum on Wednesday - timings TBA by SWMBO...we will be dining in Merrickville and then heading home - previously scheduled appointment...

Just a note of caution for you and the convoy participants (as communicated to me by a concerned member of the great community of Burritts Rapids) - observe the speed limit while going through the village, please! In all likelyhood, said member will try to convince Ottawa's finest to send a patrol car to the village to "keep good order" on that day.

It seems this chap's calibrated eyeball estimated that last year's convoy of green trucks were exceeding the speed limit. Best to heed the signs for speed!

I am not pointing fingers - just relaying info for consideration by the wise...
Old 26-06-09, 19:15
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Wink Hell of a display...

and make a bit of a demonstration of convoy speed control by the person in a high visibility vest to slow down any violators..........

When you said this Stew..I immediately thought of the greasy green spot on the pavement that Ill Itis will make when it stalls at the front of the parade and is immediately run into the dirt by some real machines..CMP's..... Carriers..and maybe even a 6 and 17 pounder..all real WWll iron...Real iron...

Yes ..this will definitely will be worth watching on You Tube..

Make sure you are not too Pi**ed and you bale out at the first backfire..The real iron won't wait..you're toast..

Old 26-06-09, 20:57

Default Convoy speed

This is a perennial concern for all of us which is why I tend to put the LAAT in the lead... it is not capable of exceeding the speed limit in Burritt's Rapids or any where else for that matter!

I am working on a route card right now, Stu, if you can drop out to Kars this weekend I'd like to discuss some ideas with you.

Unless drivers are formally trained in traffic control, I won't assign such 'duties' or take responsibility for anyone trying to carry them out. As Alex has humourously noted, nothing is more disconcerting to a heavy truck driver than a light vehicle in front who fails to maintain a steady speed or who slows suddenly without warning or visible cause.

I was driving the 5 tonner last year and my speed through B.R. was a stately 27 MPH. As happens with all conga lines; the "tail end charlies" frequently have to go faster to keep up. We will raise this as a concern at the drivers' briefing on Wed morning.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Wed!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 02-07-09, 23:09
Mr. HUP

Default Sitrep on Parade(s)

I missed the Calnan Convoy 2009 to Merrickville and Kemptville this year due to a bout of some gawd-awful flu. Other than a phone call from one of Burritts Rapids long-time residents, I heard nothing at all about the convoy. Gunner! Fill us in...